Worlds largest engine!

Here’s a question, what are the torque ratings for the bolts holding that motor together and WTF do they use to torque them, must be a SERIOUS torque wrench.

Ok Adam you screwed yourself this time! Now you have to post the massive machining tools that are used for this stuff :lol

is it measured in ton miles?

There are so much engineering ridiculousness in these engines… The size of the explosions in the cylinders must be loud as hell.

Also, what sort of RPM do these run at?

102 RPM.

Are these 5 or 6 speeds?

7, like a Veyron.

OK! :excited I’m more into the old shit. In todays machining age, the actual machines don’t look like much, little character to them. Most big machines of the past were one offs specifically built to do their one and only job and had alot of style to them. Also, once OSHA stepped in EVERYTHING got covered up, so not of the cool pulley/gear drives and stuff are seen now.

Here’s some old-school stuff, taken from an old Doxford ship yard. Look at the oxy cutting equipment. Dated long before CNC, you can see how the operator manually guides the tool around a steel pattern/template to cut the actual parts.

Absolutely fascinating how precise they built something so big back then. Nice job digging up the pics Adam.

I still remember going to a old damn can’t remember where in the hell it was but they had a old huge generator that had ball bearings in that they only shut down to do a oil change . The ball bearings were huge , like the size of the red balls in front of Target lol they still had the lap marks in them from some guy hand lapping them . That is amazing to me .

Wow, that’s some pretty amazing stuff!!

Adam +rep!

Hydraulic torque wrench.

I love photos of this type of stuff. Big equipment, mining stuff, shipyards, etc, etc.

As far as torque ratings, lolz. I can tell you this. The bolts that were used to hold together the massive cast housing in GE’s steam turbines are special pieces. Hollow centered, where they would insert a heat rod and warm the bolt up which would cause it to grow in length a specified amount. They would then tighten the bolt to a specified torque, then remove the heater and allow the bolt to cool. It contracts and then increases the clamp load. Done so because of how hot the machines run and they growth over a full temp cycle.

Stuff like this ship engine…most definite a hydraulic torque motor. the starting torque of some of that hardware is probably over 100ftlbs :lol

Awesome pictures man, are they really blasting through ~15" thick steel with a torch? damn

Best thread on shift. When this thread dies I will delete my account. Huge equipment is teh best. +rep for finding machining info.

The BEST part of the old machining pics is that you know a lot if that equipment is still in service somewhere. Old>New. Our great grandfathers built the best shit ever. Debate it and I’ll poison your amp energy drink.

Semi-on topic, I worked for a pipe/specialty fab shop in NC and we had a killer Monarch lathe from the teens/20s. You just know that thing did work during WWI and WWII.
Pic of lathe:
http://img.tapatalk.com/45ad7f2d-0044-180d.jpg

You touch my Amp and I will cut you with my water jet bitch!!

^Sick. I want to do field service on those. Fuuuuuuuuuu.

HOLY FUCK @ the torch cutting through what must be a huge block of cheese, can’t be metal. and HOLYER FUCK at the 2 stroke liners. fap fap fap fap

DO THEY USE OIL IN CRANKCASE? if so how many gallons? CANT IMAGINE THAT OIL CHANGE!

that torch must b plasma arc !?