Would you do it...

…I wanted to get some opinions over here outside of my local boards where I hope to get a bit less biased opinions.

As some of you remember I posted my Z/28 for sale a while back: http://www.pittspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16341

Well I never really pushed the sale hard (didn’t put it on Craig’s list or Ebay) and didn’t even consider “low-ball” offers. Then just the other day I saw the Z06 I want for sale…

Interior
Driver and passenger Crow 5 point harness belts
Bolt in harness/roll bar From MSI
Rear partition
Shortened stock shifter
Fire extinguisher

Exterior
19" 505A CCW rims with Pirelli P-Zeros (rears are new)
Painted lower rear facia (flat black)

Suspension
Track aligned and corner weighted by MSI
T1 Sway bars and end links
04 Sach shocks
Brand new Performance Friction drilled rotors and pads
Under body tunnel reinforcement plate

Drive Train
Cartek Stage II LS6 348 Forged Engine.
Eagle rods
Mahle forged pistons
Balanced crank
Clevite rod/main bearings
Nitrated double roller timing chain
Ported/shimmed oil pump
Comp R lifters
Crane Cams 226/230 591 lift 113lsa cam
Cartek Level 7 clutch and adjustable master cylinder
Aluminum Findanza flywheel
ARP head studs
Cartek Stage II Extreme heads
Ported LS6 intake manifold
Kooks 1 ¾ headers and X pipe (no cats) w/the stock cat back
ATI dampener pulley
Ron Davis NASCAR radiator w/engine and power steering cooler
Steel braided coolant and oil lines
Halltech air intake
Custom made aluminum valve covers with NASCAR style PCV system.
Ported Throttle body
Tuning by Force Fed Performance
440RWHP 414RWTQ

…for $38k. Keep in mind the car books about $36k out here in Cali. It’s friggin’ imaculate (the owner is a “friend of a friend” and I know the car well) and has easily $20k of mods (the wheel/tires are around $6k and the motor work alone was well over $10k). I’d also be getting the original Z06 wheels w/ Road Race tires and another set of Genuine GM Z06 wheels w/ AutoX tires w/ the deal.

So I TTT’ed my For Sale posts locally for my car and got a big of interest. I got an offer for $10,500 w/o most of the aftermarket parts. And the guy has a cashier’s check ready to go for me. I can sell the parts I have for probably $3k… $2k if I’m lazy/impatient. The Porsche 996 TT front brake kit ALONE would sell in 1-2 days for $1k (I paid $1,200 from a friend). All in all I’d be able to recover about $13k total out of the car/mods. I was only trying to get $14k for the car and all the mods before… though that was before the $1200 I put into the Porsche brakes on it.

So should I just be content w/ my car. I run mid-pack with the Z06s and better than almost all the street-legal Fbodies at the AutoX. It’s paid off in full. Or do I take on a car payment for this amazing Z06? At $38k w/ Cali tax I’d be around 41k total. Assuming I came up w/ $13k for my car/parts and I can throw about 2k out of pocket that gives me a total financed of $26k. With a 5yr loan w/ a 11.99% rate (I really think I’d get better than this through my Credit Union but this is a “safe” estimate) I’d be looking at just under $600/month. I can safely afford about $1k/month so I am confident I could pay the car off in under 3yrs (most likely much less as my pay increases… but worst case if it stays as-is 3yrs would be do-able).

The bottom line is I have a fun car paid off… but I want this car bad. And hell if I do keep my Z/28 I’ll be putting $4-6k into it over the winter.

So do it or not?

-TJ

if u can really, REALLY afford it, and its THE CAR u always wanted, do it!

If you want it, go for it. 11% intrest is alot for a fixed loan. Make sure you dont strech your self to thin.

you only live once… you could always sell it if you change your mind in a year or so

i wouldn’t do it… assuming another $25k in debt for something you have to ask our opinion about? shiiiiit.

You only live once. You are only young once.

All that money you saved will do you no good when you’re old and boring, or when your dead. Spend and enjoy.

11 is high… but this is a used car loan and that was a very “safe” guess. Meaning if anything it’d be better but I didn’t want to run the numbers using a very low rate I might not get and find out the payment is way more.

I know I know. I guess it’s not so much me asking if I should go for a Z06 but I keep going back and forth between this one (or some other highly modded Zohhhs selling right now due to the C6 Z06) and a bone bone stock Z06 in the low 30s. As painfull (and I really do mean painfull) as it will be for me to sell my car (I’ve had her over 5.5 yrs now) I think I’m going to do it no matter what. I’m going to put it up on CL and Ebay and try to get “too much” money for it, so to speak. Once the car is sold I’ll try for this Z06 if it’s available, if not the $ from my car will go into a savings account w/ my Credit Union while I search for the right Z06. If it takes a few months I can have closer to $20k to put into a Z06 and find one in the low 30s. $15k debt sounds much better than $25k right now… but damn this car is soooo bad…

-TJ

very nice car. what year. how many miles. and how many miles on the engine.

i found a few 02’s for around 31 or so and 01’s around 28 when i was looking. but i decided to spend my money on a house.

that blue is the exact one i was looking at. very nice car. if thats what you want get it. i sure as hell would.

Do it. As long as you can swing it financially, looks like an awesome ride.

why not just buy a brandy new zo6? probably get a better rate and would probably run circles around this one

65k msrp, ppl are marking em up to 100k, ya, thats pricy

Because a new Z06 is going to cost at least twice that with dealer markups

This car would be $38k a C6 Z06 starts at $68 and you have to go outta Cali to not pay $20k markup. But even at MSRP (which is the best you will do anywhere nation-wide) that’s a $30k difference. The C6 is not even an option.

But yes you will find stock low-mileage '02s for low low 30s. This car has a lot of $ into it and has exactly the mods I’d want. So around $6k difference for AT LEAST $20k in mods. Hell $6k barely covers the wheels/tires.

Anyway, it’s a '02 w/ 20k mi total. Under 5k on the motor/clutch/etc.

-TJ

If i could afford it, i’d do it… fuckin gorgeous car! Gosh the things i would do to be able to afford that! :drool:

its just a car… is it worth being strapped for cash for another 5 years?

Plus, you aren’t due for your midlife crisis for another 27 years

To me a midlife crisis would be buying some run-down POS condo for $500,000 to feel “secure” instead of doing what is fun. And like I mentioned assuming I don’t make a dime more it’d be paid off in 3yrs max.

-TJ

^^^ he speaks the truth.

I didn’t know they were marking them up that much, the car looks beautiful I would go for it but keep one thing in mind. That car was obviously raced so at 20k miles I’m sure a good bit of those were some of the hardest 20k miles of its life. Is this gonna be your daily driver too?

Also on a side note won’t this make your insurance spiral out of control?

my insurance was gonna drop 200 every 6 months when i was lookin at a 01 Zo6 vette insurance is oddly low for some reason (old people drive them i think) and im not even 25 yet.

yes my buddy owned a z06, his was cheaper for that than the Ws6 he owned, its b/c he is out of the normal age