would you ever buy a used torque converter?

I’m unsure about this. it’s a good way to save money but on a fresh rebuild it doesn’t seem like a good idea to me. who knows how much crap is in there from the other guys fluid. not to mention you really don’t know for sure what stall you’re getting, what if the seller lies? maybe hes demodding from a catastrophic trans failure

what do you guys think? used stalls are popping up like crazy right now

what converter? I would say if you bought it to absolutely send it back for a rebuild.

honestly do not like buying used stalls. i will use them if i know where they came from. if you can buy it and send it back for less than what you have into a new one then sure. see if buyer can send it back to manufacturer under warranty and have it cleaned and restalled to your specs.

buying used from someone unknown and throwing in your car would be a gamble IMO.

I’ve sold my converter before. had 2 years of use before getting restalled for my 383 last year, then sold it since i changed trannys. Only had 1600 miles on it.

I’d buy a converter used only if you can really trust the guy selling it, such as feedback ratings and can get an idea how long it was in the car

it’s an ATI 3000 but it’s one of those deals where the seller bought it used and is reselling it. i’ll low ball an offer or get a new one.

I have a used 3400 stall in the typhoon, works fine, was in a 10 second syclone for a long time and made a alot of passes, got it pretty cheap, it was a gamble and it payed off. But I know Brandon(aeroking) bought a used stall for his syclone and had it in and out many times to get restalled, I think he probably ended up buying a new one. In short I would just buy a new one and not take the risk.

Common sense says if you asked. gut feeling says no.