WRX Engine needed

Sons car spun a rod, possible block damage, still evaluating the issues. Should be covered under third party warranty, but planning my options on the car.

2.0 liter, only 60,000 miles. Surprised the engines are this weak.

So the question is: Do I replace it with another 2.0 liter? pick up a used block from the junk yard (reman)?

what about an STI motor swap? do any of the parts bolt on/match up?

looking for some input/ideas.

I am thinking maybe finding a good block, but put in a stroker upgrade to it…better rods, pistons, internals than the stock…

STi swap!!!

I would ask here. http://forums.nasioc.com/

There are guys on that site that will know for sure. If not, i’ve seen a few engines in the classifieds.

i think i still have a good short block at work. car was hit in front, and the p/o kept the car wanting to rebuild it. needless to say, it sat for like 2 yrs. then he sold us the car. he had the crunched hood on the car, but some mositure got into the engine.

heads are cores–the wreck got into the cam gears so it will probably need valves. short should be fine. when i drained the engine, no water came out. but being it sat unprotected from moisture, i would expect some moisture to have gotten in the bores to cause some rust. most would probably come off as soon as you spun the engine over. worse case scenerio, a hone to slight overbore w/ o/s rings should seal it.

what’s been done to the car modification wise? i wouldnt call the engine weak, but can be temperamental with certain modifications.

here’s an STI block… assuming your heads are still good you could probably go that route. as you can see from the website, there are probably a few more changes you should make if you go in this direction, but mechanically everything will fit together.

http://www.jscspeed.com/wrx/wrx_base.html

I would just swap a STI bottom end in and keep the 2.0L heads as I rembember seeing some where that they have larger ports and flow alot better.

Jim is that auto or 5spd? I can’t remember

I dident think they made WRX auto’s, In the US anyways.

It’s either an RS or auto or both.

if you get a full sti swap, dont you get a beefier trans? I thought there were some big differences.

… TT legacy swap??

a full sti swap? wouldent that include a STI tranny??

I would hope so. They have a manual adjustable power differential whereas the wrx’s and imprezzas are auto adjust.

i ment the sti trans is a lot better than the stock wrx one. thats what i would do if it was my car

I to am curious as to what caused the engine to go. What mods?
The car is an Auto I believe.

One of my co-workers had an 1998-ish Impreza. He had the head gaskets changed at 50K and again at 100K. It ran fine, but he said it was like clock work for him to start leaking oil badly every 50K.

If you don’t find a better option I’d be happy to build you one.

Its an automatic. The engine is still stock. I didn’t want him going overboard like I do with the EVO…he still has many years of learning to drive the car before I let him drive around in 400+ hp cars… :slight_smile:

we are the second owners of the car. Bought it with 52k miles on it, and now its close to 60k. The car doesn’t have any engine mods…so I was surprised too that it spun a rod…(at least we know that much so far). Should know more by Monday or Tuesday next week…waiting for the insurance/warranty guy to show up…

Huh. Well that sucks. Good luck with getting it back up and running. I have about 77K on mine and sometimes it stall on a hard 1-2 shift. First couple times I thought I blew the engine, but now I just think it needs some new plugs.

what year is the car? i dont know much about the specifics but i’ve heard there are a lot of ecu problems with 04-05’s. something about the transition from open loop to closed loop. there’s a little delay in the fuel delivery and its claimed a few motors i believe. as previously mentioned… check it out on nasioc.
i dont know if the dealerships offer a solution, but i’m sure any of the aftermarket computers will correct the problem… plus you get a few extra HP while you’re at it.