WTB: Cheap drift car.

Thats a nice cressida… but its auto and manual conversion should be done to actually learn to drift. I wouldnt even take my cressida to the track to drift. those cars need alot of help in the suspension before they are beat on. not to mention the headgasket on the cressida u have there on the link. It will probably blow while the person is trying to get loose in Low gear… lol

This is true, but the intention was to put some money into it to make it “drift worthy”. Though the toyota isn’t the first choice, there are a few 240’s that are being looked at as we speak that are going for 500-700 dollars. The one I’m looking at is 500 dollars, comes with a working motor(KA), vlsd, and a tranny. it needs a seat, front bumper, suspension and tail lights. Seller is saying frame work as been ‘fixed’ and body work as been done. Sounds like a decent learner car to me. We will see though.

yeah man good luck bro. As long as the frame is fixed and there isnt holes around the strut towers it would be a worthy track car to fix up.

This is the most rediculas thread ive ever seen on son.

first off whoever thinks they have build a cheap drift car ot last more then half a track day need to get some education before evertalking about cars or racing again

buy your 800$ supra come to a track day have your 1 day of fun then please never come back again.

2nd bashing people should get banned

fucking idiots.

u can buy a car for 800$

but u will get a 800$ car that can only get u so far

urs skills will only go as far as the mods u have with ur car

u will start to need more power, grip, suspension, etc etc etc,

now ur 800$ car is 10-15k

correct me if im wrong…

wait… ill correct myself there

flame me if im wrong but…

To LEARN how to drift in a 240 u need what…

a nice unholed up frame, good strut towers

cheapish coilovers - 1000
strut/sway bars - 400?
a nice clutch - 300
VSLD or a welded diff - 50-150

so if the base was bought for 800 were at 2550-2650 right now

lets just fuck around and double that number to 5000… now uv got an SR to boot around…

so… under the premise that all of the above is even somewhat true,

whats so hard about this concept of a cheap drift car?

u flamers are fags :slight_smile:

lol

what the turds here dont get (and there are three by my counts) is that an 800 dollar frame will be a heap. and i gaurntee the frame will be pooched and need at leats another 800 in repairs.

please show me where you find all these $800 240’s with good enough frames to start throwing some agressive driving at.

thats what everyone is harping you for. not that fact that you cant have a cheap drift car (cuz you can)

and for the guy who is gunna say that learning on an $800 car is the way to go, you will never get on the track with an $800 chassis. i will laugh at you when it snaps in half cuz the rockers and frame rails are toast.

every one on this tread is talking from experience. besides the 2 of you

all the small things add up

and remember

with that attitude who is going to allow u to come to track days?

not me

noobie, dont feel bad for bringing up shit. happens daily.
theres other comments here that are stupid and those people should know who they are, and those are the ones who should feel bad.

take everyones advice. save up a bit more so you can buy a chassis that is capable.

with that budget just keep an eye out for a roller. You can pick up a solid chassis for $800, if you do indeed have the skills/motivation to do the engine and suspension work on it.

I dont mean to continue to flam you but honestly a $800 drift car? I understand your point of buidling a cheap car to learn on as you will hit/break things. But any form of motorsports is expensive and you really need think twice if you want to drift in a 800 peice of shit. My safety and the safety of other people at the track (or in your case probably the street) is worth a bit of extra money to make sure things dont rust and fall off causing a accident.

I like the way you think sir.
I agree that this is a huge flame fest, but i know that noobie240 has the resourses to either do or get done most work if he finds a $500 roller,engine/trans and some used coil overs and still be within a reasonable budget. it would be only a weekend trach only use car only from what i got from him while talking to him the other day.

So what i am trying to say is that unless you know the whole situation firing up the flame throwers is like prematurely ejaculating before you even get 'er pants off

just my 2 cents

my first car was a 89 pignose $500 patched the frame beat the hell out of it to learn how to drive stick and minor drifting more less tail sliding as i was not abale to hold a drift but it was a learning expierence buy your $800 car love it learn from it and have fun just dont get a hot saftey makes sure you make it safe(will probably take some money) and stop bashing the guy hes just looking to .

peace

I understand the portion about safety, but under no circumstances would even I allow a car that I know will fall apart, onto the track. We know a 800 dollar car will cost money to be track worthy, I didn’t say we were going to slap some tires on and go drift, and by no means are we building a professional drift car. I assure you, we know the perks of it all. We just want a car we won’t be too worried about bashing into a wall. Both noobie240 and I have our toy cars which we would like to play with, but with no experience I’m not ready to throw my g35 onto a track, I paid too much for it to put it into a wall. And I’m sure noobie240 -after the car is on the road- won’t let it loose at the track without knowing the basics.

I know about rusting frames on a 240, it’s the car where I first learned most of my technical knowledge on. I know what to look for and I definitely know what to avoid. On top of that, I sure as hell know that a 800 dollar car is not going to remain a 800 dollar car. I know the work involved and I have people to point me in the right direction when I do get the car. I just don’t understand when people make assumptions and then draw those out verbally without thinking twice, like the last comment bolded above. It frustrates beginners, and in the end makes them like every other annoying loud mouth out there who rarely help. If you want to know what we plan on doing with this car, just ask instead of attacking the idea right from the get-co. You’d be surprised at what some beginners know.

And just to put an example out there (excuse my post whoring), last track day I went to I rode in a rather nice FD. It was done up real nice, but the guy didn’t know how to handle his car. First few runs he was running 18psi, looped it around a corner and covered the track in dirt, halting the track day for a good 20 minutes for clean up. The next time he looped it (I was in the car) he went up on an embankment because he thought he can hold it through the turn (he was also running shitty nexen). Turns out his brake cooling ducts ripped off, along with his lip and probably some other damage. Now the cost to fix listed items are enormous, especially Mazda only parts. So who wants to take part in that?

Most of the car’s I’ve seen here in decent condition are going for 1600+. Getting a car for 800, plus patching the frame, with a decent set of coilovers and a few other goodies can get us started on a decent learner. All without spending the world on a supposedly clean, stock 240, which we would have to throw money at again to play. I mean feel free to point out flaws in my thinking, but don’t think bashing is going to help get a point across.

Man $800 for a drift car. $800 is a good amount for a car to
a) learn to drive
b) learn to drive stick on
c) drive until it breaks, scrap for atleast half and call it a day.
OR
c) expand your mechanical skills…i.e, take shit apart

An $800 drift car may be hard to find, especially safety and e-test. With no issue’s the price is already $900 if you gotta do that yourself…plus taxes $1000 already to get it on the road and that is with ZERO issue’s.

My advice: As harsh as it is may be this is real life. If you got $800 for a drift car than buy Need For Speed games and drift all you want. Put the rest of the money aside when you are serious/can afford it.

I learned to drift in a completely stock 240 I picked up for 1100 bucks w/ a solid frame. And from what I hear, I didn’t do too bad. Drifting doesn’t require this or that. It requires the ability to learn how your car reacts.

hey wise-1,

if you’re not planning to drift on a track, where are you planing to drift? on the street?

endangering innocent peoples lives isn’t that wise, wise-1.

just go kill yourself your faggot