WTB: project / roller - 944, or e30, or classic chevy, or ???

This winter I’ve been working on my turbo fbody which is now nearing completion. It honestly does not interest me much at all at this point (maybe once I drive it I’ll change my mind); not sure if I want to sell it, or maybe I’ll hold onto it for a bit longer and build it up a bit more in the future…don’t know.

That said I’m looking to move onto a new project shortly. I’m not exactly sure what I want yet. I was thinking about a twin turbo build on my corvette (homemade kit based off of the UPP kit), but decided I don’t want the car down and out all summer as it makes a semi-fun, fairly fuel efficient DD, in comparison to my truck.

I’ve been thinking about an ls swapped 944 or e30. Or in the total opposite direction finding a Nova/Chevelle/Camaro project; I have only done a small amount of auto bodywork/restoration, but I think it would be fun and a good experience to learn as I go.

I’ve been casually looking for the past month and haven’t really come across anything worthwhile. Basically I’m looking for a decent roller or starting point for a project that fits into one of the above categories. And I’m not interested in a $20k-30k classic that is complete, looking for a project…

Just buy my e30 it’ll cost less in the end. :slight_smile:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/4909691087.html

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/4900741610.html

While your e30 absolutely surpasses my expectations for whatever vehicle/project I work on next, it won’t fulfill the personal satisfaction and learning experience component I’m looking to get out of it. Though, I would love to have that car.

Buy it, take it apart and sell the pieces, start with a mint condition E30 chassis that has been stripped, taken to bare metal, seam welded then sealed. I’m telling you right now that E30s in general are going to be rotted even if the appear clean outside. You will still come out ahead.

I ran across this http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4857547376.html when I was looking for something similar.

I have a few, although it will be a bit before I can get them out - have to wait for some snow to melt!!! I guess I could clear a path with the compact tractor, but it takes forever!!

• 1966 GTO original tri-power 4 speed car (PHS Docs). Very solid body and complete. Interior is pretty bad, but all there. Sat in a storage garage from the early 80s until last year. ORIGINAL MOTOR AND TRANNY ARE GONE. Currently has a great running 1968 Pontiac 400 and TH400 from a Catalina. Does not drive - driveshaft and some wiring and you could drive it. I actually thought about just clearing it and driving with the patina. $9K

• 1974 GTO - runs and drives. Missing original hood. I bought it thinking it was a Ventura, but after finding the 4 speed items decided to run the vin though PHS - it came back as a 74 GTO 350 with a 4 speed. Has an olds 307 motor with a TH350. Body decent, interior decent, very good start to a build without having to do a ton of body work. $3200

• 1972 Chevelle - original 350 car - this is the biggest project of the 3. I’m just finishing putting on driver side full quarter. Pass quarter has been patched, has new full trunk floor, front floor patched, new body bushings. Currently has a 1996 LT1/4L60E with PSI harness and computer. Missing front fenders - have inners and SS hood. Would sell without engine/tranny. I’m building this just to beat around in and be able to cruise at 65-70Mph - not a show car - probably go with flat black with black soft 8s for wheels, etc - Mad Max style. $3800 w/o drive train, $4800 with.

I would be interested to see some pictures of the 74 gto and the chevelle, if you have them. If you don’t I would be interested in coming to take a look after the snow melts a bit if I don’t find something by then.

There is a 944 swapped with a LSx locally im sure it will be around this summer if you want to check it out so you will get an idea whats involved in the swap.

I don’t have pics of either one of those yet on my site. PM me your email and I will send you a few if you want. Both of these are up at the front garage, much shorter path to create then then from where the 66 is. I also have a couple of 4th gen LS1 Fbodies, it sounds like you already built one of those!

If you’re going to get bored with it by the time the project is done I’d highly recommend the Chevelle/Nova route because if you do it right you’ll have a project you can sell and come out ahead on, or at least break even. An LS swapped 944 or E30 is cool if you want to rip around in it when you’re done but the chances of ever getting your money back out are slim.