wtf!!!

ive got a fucking hole in the bell housing of my tranny.
im told cpracing cut this shit out to remove some shit that was jammed in good.

the car apprently passed legit saftey this way, what can go wrong from this?

heres some pics…

my fucking luck…

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k117/matty240sx/tranny005.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k117/matty240sx/tranny003.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k117/matty240sx/tranny001.jpg

weight reduction

yeah thats about the only thing that can come of this.

LOL ^ just what i was thinking!

i deleted my message history with nikky, but apparently CP racing did this to the transmission to get something out, like the clutch fork perhaps?

it definately should not be leaking like that because there is no fluid in the bellhousing anyways.

something has to be welded over the hole, it should be fine.

i dont know that the rear main seal would like that much though… that looks like something was pouring out of the tranny at a decent speed (car and fluid)

the scatter of the oil makes no sense to me…

its both above and below the hole but not infront of it and the clutc disc looks dry too.

plus, the oil is clean, like there is no dirt or junk stuck to it… meaning that it all happened at once and recently…if it were driven around like that, and considering where the car was for the last month (in a dirt lot) there would be all kinds of crud stuck to that slick.

when it got toweed maybe

the front end was up pretty high and it was towed for about 45 km’s

i dont remember that oil being there when i worked on the car at the shop.

no drain plug either on the bung.

any more comments>?

it is important to note that matt checked the engine oil and it is still full… meaning that this oil did not come from the rear main seal, otherwise the engine would be low on oil.

HAHAHAHA you got nik’s motor! hahahaa that fuck put the clutch in backwards years ago!

if you’d like to know about it feel free to pm me or ask me on msn.

long story short…Nik is an idiot, he ordered a act clutch, didnt check the partnumber…turned out it was a chevy clutch…and he put it on facing the wrong way…tried to start the car, splines locked in. Cp racing had to cut the tranny open to un bolt the pressure plate to sepparate the clutc from the flywheel.

Moral of the story…Waterloo engineers should never touch cars.

will this do any harm to the tranny/. is it driveable?

tranny is still fine, all the internals of the transimission except the clutch are in a different chamber.

the car has been like that far a good 3-4 years now.

As i remember, Nikki has cp racing get a clutch for him, it’s a eurodrive ceramic clutch but it may be organic…90% sure on the ceramic…so the hole shouldnt effect the disc’s performance…the pressure plate may be effected tho, but i doubt to any large degree.

good to know

yeah but all the debris that can and will get in there will not be good for the wear of the clutch, not to mention all the pivot points like the fork, tob, pilot bushing etc…

The housing is cast, so welding is out of the question if you want to repair it within a reasonable budget. Just get a piece of 1/8 plate, cut and bend it to fit, drill 4 holes into the plate and bell housing, tap the ones in the housing for bolts, silicone and bolt it on there.

there is no other issue with it other than contaminants getting in there.

welding cast aluminum can be done…it’s the same as welding an elbow onto a turbo housing…if you need somone who can do it, ican recommend 2 or3 shops.

^ yeah it just costs you money that does not need to be spent.

there is nothing wrong with that exept the fact that shit can get in there… no need to spend a ton of cash on it. $100 and you can have a whole new (used) tranny. don’t want to spend more than that on it.

yeah you’re right, it’s cost $50-60 to have it welded and most welders wont touch it unless the oil is cleaned perfectly off of it…You wont get a good weld with that on it.

new bellhousing if you want it done right ?

it’s cast, as long as it’s clean you can do an ok job with TIG, the more impurities that are allowed to seep into thecastigs porous surface will dictate how solid that weld is though, used cast alloy water fitings like thermo housings and such are pretty much a write off as the glycol permeates the surface and will bubble/foam a weld. Same thing can happen to this bell housing is oil and crap are allowed to seep into the surface.

best bet is to simply get a replacement bell housing that hasn’t been Cp-ified.

ive thought about a new bellhousing

where can i get one?

i also dont have the know how to swap it out or a shop to get ti done at.

the car is stuck in ym driveway so it would have to be backtaed style job.

any tips?

I hear Scotty (DTS) has a great bellhousing for sale :lol: