WTH: Hydraulic cylinder rebuilder

I am looking for someone that knows about rebuilding hydraulic cylinders. I have 4 hydraulic cylinders that I want the seals replaced on. These are smaller cylinders 2 are 1" bore x <3ft length and the other 2 are 1" bore <2 ft in length.

try “Ferry Hydraulic” on Walden in depew.

Have you checked out the cost of replacing the whole cylinder?
What make are they?

I have not. I figured it would just be cheaper to rebuild. I am not sure about who makes them. These are on a Ford Skid Steer that was built in '76.

I am just thinking that with a small bore it might be cheaper.
Check with Fluid Power Services on Walden for rebuild.

cool thanks.

i’ve done it a bunch of times at work for bucket loaders, dump trucks, and a few other things… its very simple to do honestly. take it apart and lay the rings/seals/ sleeves out in order that you take um out. put the new stuff in reverse order.

new cylinders are $$$ and im guessing it’ll be a few bucks to have a shop replace the seals for ya. if i were you i’d buy the rebuild kits and try it on your own on 1 cylinder and if you mess that one up have a shop do um for ya.

Where is a good place to get the seals?

bump… cylinders have to be rebuilt now they’re leaking pretty good. Where can I get the replacement seals?

^Did you check with Fluid Power Services yet?

Yes, I was just wondering if I were to do it myself where I would get the seals. I have 2 others I’ll probably do too.

did i stutter? :wink:

it’s one thing to ask for recommendations…it’s another thing to ignore them.

I originally asked for someone to rebuild them, now I’m asking for the parts. I guess I will try there. Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Ferry is a parts and service supplier… they can do either for you.

I think they will sell you seals, if not go to Sealing Devices or Seal & Design.

Awesome, thanks guys.

Sealing devices on Walden in Depew/Lancaster? I didn’t know they supply inventory, i thought they only provide R&D there and had distributors for their products. Can you purchase at that location?

Oh yeah, I buy thousands of seals from them. They are a distributor for many sealing companies like Parker, etc. I am not sure what they stock for hydraulic seals though.

:tup: good to know. I thought it was just an office/manufacturing facility that you could only get custom orders on site.

We buy most of our o-rings and seals from Sealing Devices