xbox 360 to laptop

I have a toshiba p300 and just wanted to know if anyone has hooked up there 360 to there laptop? is it possible?
I’m not really concerned about recording anything just playing 360 through the laptop screen in HD.
My laptop has a serial port (I don’t know if its input but I know its an output)
and my laptop has S-video (output)

I’m ok with buying a capture card. just wanted to see if anyone has done this before, or if anyone has any suggestions.

i was also curious about this because my laptop has an hdmi input.

weird idea…

buying a video capture card isn’t worth it, you want the xbox to control the lcd panel, when you add a capture card, you are passing the video through two separate systems (of which, processing and transformations are being done), 1 the card, 2 the onboard video.

I suspect you’ll have a bit of a delay…

240sex, hdmi input or output? I’d guess the latter.

I looked into this a while ago and found it to be pita. Called a few ppl and the only easy way i think was to get a capture card as you mentioned, but there will always be a delay. Unless they have changed something recently.

GL tell us what you find… :smiley:

xbox makes vga cords. i’m mainly just wondering if laptops vga’s are only output or can handle imput

huh damn didn’t know they did. Worth a try, buy it and try and if it doesnt just return it :stuck_out_tongue:

You will definitely experience lag. I use a HD capture card to make videos, and even with a component connection I get lag. It’s not worth using your laptop as a monitor unless you can somehow directly connect it. If your laptop has a VGA port you can try that, but I’m not sure how it would work since it’s usually output. I’ve seen it done though.

EDIT:

Here’s what I found with a quick search.

Yeah there’s nothing much to it, you just need a tv-tuner and the necessary audio cables to turn the two RCA connectors coming out of the 360 into a male audio connector to go into your mic-in or line-in port on your laptop.

HOWEVER:

Some TV-tuners have a ‘lag’ between the input and what’s displayed on the screen/played out through audio. This is no issue when you’re watching some TV, but if you’re playing a video game and dictating what happens on the screen by using a controller, it’ll piss you off. I’m really not sure how you’d go about finding out whether or not a specific TV-tuner will have any associated lag or not.

One idea might be to buy a cheap USB tv-tuner at a brick and mortar that has an exchange policy for opened hardware AND several affordable models in stock. That way, if the tuner you try out doesn’t work out, you can try some more and hopefully find one without lag.

ALSO:

before buying the tuner, you’ll want to verify that you can un-mute the input or mic-in on your laptop so that you know that sound going into it is immediately played through the speakers. You can use software (media player classic for example) to play-back the audio that’s coming in through the line/mic-in ports, BUT doing so will cause an annoying audio delay. Just enough of a delay to be really annoying, like you notice that the ‘swoosh’ sounds don’t sync right with the menu changes in dashboard, or lip/sound being off-sync with video. So make sure your hardware will just do it out of the box by un-muting the line/mic and checking with a microphone (I assume the laptop has it’s own mic --brace yourself for feedback.)

If line/mic in won’t work un-muted, you can connect the 360 directly to speakers with audio converter cables but if you’re hooking up to a laptop you might not have speakers to connect to.

To sum, you need the TV tuner, an audio cable with two female RCA jacks on one side and a male headphone jack on the other (to plug into your laptop’s line-in or mic-in port and into the 360’s left/right audio RCA ports).

And you’re in business.

You’re better off buying a $150 dollar monitor dude.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41960ZX0EAL.SS500.jpg

this is the cable. I’m not terribly worried about the sound, cause if there is any lag in sound I would be using a TurtleBeach headset.
I found all post very helpful, but I wouldn’t buy a monitor I would just buy a tv.
The reason why I want this to work is for travel ability.

Jesse text me I have everything you need to play and record through your laptop. Even sound too.