YO DAWG, I heard you like BMWs (purchased a beater X5)

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/553696_10151175016711276_949352390_n.jpg

meet my new X5.

4.4 V8, lots of options, lots of miles (172k), lots of problems.

needs a hood, bumper, lots of electronics fixed, tons of cleaning. drivetrain is amazing. I paid $2k for it.

god help me and let the project begin.

Problems / Projects:

• needs hood
  • needs front bumper fixed
  • drivers door handle doesn’t really work
  • one rear door handle doesn’t work from outside
  • sunroof leak
  • one rear window doesn’t work
  • drivers window doesn’t travel in it’s track correctly
  • 19 wheels need refinishing / replacing
  • most of the climate buttons are a mess and need fixing but will work with effort
  • self leveling rear suspension was converted to manual, would like to fix
  • steering wheel movement non-functioning
  • keyless entry doesn’t work
  • rear seat recline buttons in the roof don’t work (buttons at tailgate work)
  • a shudder under braking
  • clunk when accelerating from a coast
  • needs a mas sensor (already ordered)
  • needs a ball joint (new one came with it)

what’s your budget for getting everything fixed?

that’s a good question… no idea. If I can get all the major things taken care of for under $1000 I’d be happy. (with me doing all labor except painting)

Buy Innovative’s open trailer so you can pull your e30 to the track.

I’d love to, but I don’t know where I would put it and I want to get this stable first.

Love that e30!

You daily the e36?

Park the E30 on the trailer!

sway bar end links, is usually clunk.

driver window is window regulator.

Steering wheel movement is controlled by the module under the driver seat, I believe fuse 15 is for driver seat control and wheel, I know we looked into fixing it for a customer but don’t remember what ended up being the cause I remember it be expensive and owner deciding not to fix it.

you left your headlights on. lol nice pickup, errrr suv. :slight_smile:

Ah, I wondered who was gonna be the lucky one that got this. I was seriously tempted myself.

Even with all those issues this thing was a steal.

Go with god, these cars get ugly. You’ve got a long road ahead of you kind sir, I hope all works out for the best and your investment yields a return.

I don’t think I can lose financially… I could flip this thing on or part it for $2k in a second.

I’m sure you checked this, but if the window lock button on the drivers door is locked the roof buttons will not work.

Stuff the 4.4 into the E30…?

Nice either way, I’m jealous, I only have one BMW

X…

damn thats a steal even with the issues its a deal. With some time put in it it could turn out to be an awesome suv. :tup:

even with the $2g price tag you gonna put that much if not more into it to make everything right. Also a 4.4 with that mileage is iffy to begin with depending on previous work. Not to mention trannys and transfer cases that like to stop working. Everything you buy for the front end, buy 3 of. Trust me.

couple big updates today.

1. new battery is holding stong at 12V off, 13.3 on at idle
  2. I fixed the keyless entry. I just needed to be reinitialized by cycling it 5 times in the igntion then holding down some buttons on the key.
  3. I unlocked the hidden menu in the guage cluster so I can now do things like have it display real time voltage etc.

xoutput is an awesome forum.

Damn, makes my recent 740iL purchase seem like an exorbitant amount of money. Good pickup for sure.

I could see the tranny and transfer case getting tired but I can’t imagine the 4.4 is iffy just because of the mileage. If the compression and leakdown are good the mileage doesn’t matter at all, sure it will probably have some sensors go bad and maybe some oil leaks, but I get the impression BMW V8’s in suvs don’t see the same kind of use as most work van or truck V8’s.