Yo dawg, we heard you like having your rights taken away...

So we’re buying your rights with money we got by taking your rights.

In announcing plans for the city’s gun buyback in August, Brown administration officials stressed that this method of getting weapons off the street is paid for with money seized in drug prosecutions.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121002/CITYANDREGION/121009812/1002

Nice.

1. Make something illegal that people will do anyway (like prohibit alcohol) to create huge black market.
  2. Seize black market moneys.
  3. Buy your guns with money that you got from making your drugs illegal.

Next step: Give guns to the gangs you created in step 1 so you can take away the rest of our rights in the name of our safety.

Oh, wait. We do that too.

Wait, you mean outlawing something doesn’t make it go away? It just goes underground and drives price & crime up?

lol

I just thought it was shitty that Buffalo is running one of those stupid gun buyback programs. Then I saw that they’re paying for it with money they stole from pot heads and saw a beautiful circle of stupid.

I wonder how many people turn in their illegal firearms

War on Drugs has costs about 3 trillion dollars since 1998. The War on Terror has cost about 1.5 trillion dollars. Lets start a war on guns and see how much that will costs us.

When the CIA is the biggest dealer it kind of makes sense. Why else would we pay our troops to gaurd Poppy plants? Because they are pretty?

Maybe Mayor Brown is just doing his part in the govt drug sales hierarchy.(?)

Funny how the black market from our war on drugs funds the people we’re fighting in the war on terror. Very zen how we could win the wars on drugs and terror by stopping fighting them.

This country is so fucked.

OBAMNEY 2012!!! YAY!

Its a business at this point.

It was sad to see some of the nice antique firearms that were turned in the past few times they did this. The only reason someone would do something this stupid is because they inherited a gun and they don’t know their rights.

The Brown administration says it will take place before this summer. Buyback programs over the past three years have gotten more than 2,300 weapons off the streets. People who turn them in receive bank cards of up to $100 for each gun.

Or they needed money.

Jams video was a pretty convincing argument however the addition of cited facts and statistics would make it better.

I’m all for generating tax revenue off of vices.

I agree that the general cycle of stupid is ironic. I’m sure the hopes of the police department are to get guns out of kids hands. How effective is this? Who knows. I’m sure those passionate about their guns or even cognizant of their rights wouldn’t turn in their property.

My first gun was my great grandfather’s Remington .22. My dad heard my great grandma mention that she was going to turn it in at one of these gun buybacks (grandpa had been dead for 10+ years at that point) and my asked if we could have it. I was probably 12. I still remember helping my dad refinish the stock and polish the metal. Glad the buyback program didn’t get that one “off the street.”

I love my rights and I love America, but this shit is ridiculous.

What you guys should do is get a wholesaler license and buy a lot of the $20 guns and turn them all in for $100 each.

Profit

http://ampedstatus.org/the-war-on-drugs-is-a-2-5-trillion-dollar-racket-how-big-banks-private-military-companies-and-the-prison-industry-cashes-in/

Big banks, private military companies, and prison industries are making a fortune on the war on drugs.

Not this shit again. :wink:
I bet my hard earned $ that the tax revs generated off vices/addictions would come nowhere near covering the cost of administration let alone corruption.
What about the elevated crime we’d almost certainly see when the addicts run out of money? I don’t have time to delve into this now, we’ll discuss next time we get together. :slight_smile:

Like junkies don’t steal shit already to get their fix? I could tell you many stories from personal experience

The only diffrence is now the stolen funds will go back to the govt for tax revenue, not to Colombian drug cartels

Why would giving the government MOAR money be good? The government doesn’t steal enough of our spending power as it is? Look into World Bank/IMF type shit if you want to see what type of “cartels” we support. If we had a different government I would potentially agree with some of your theory, but currently I just can’t agree.

Added—
So for the hell of it let me ask you guys a few questions…
What should the government do with this new revenue stream?
Should they use the revenue to try and help take addicts off their path of destruction?
Are they taxing the behavior to punish the addict?
Are they taxing the behavior to discourage drug use and to socialize the collateral damage of the addiction?