So the Libertarian party...

…seems like the republican party without the corporate sponsorships.

What are your thoughts?

Their views on personal freedom are dead on. Unfortunately, they believe in laissez faire business with no government regulation and that’s where they lose me.

I voted for Bob Barr in the presidential election.

Commie

I registered independent. Not a huge fan of any party for me. Seemed the path of least resistance.

It’s like being a Bills fan. You really want them do well but deep down you know they’re never going to win a superbowl.

They are Republicans that don’t get hung up on the drug war and abortion. At this point I am less Republican because I am tired of the fake/failing drug war and if you want to suck the arms and legs off of your baby you will have to answer to God eventually anyway so…

Edit: The cop on the beat believes in fighting the drug war but beyond that it is a total joke.

too much money involved man…

^Talk about tax revenue potential.

yep. but right now you have powerful cartels in power, paying off the right people. I’m convinced the large busts you see are for the most part planned. Soooo many people are in the “business” of “fighting drugs”…

Legalizing would switch up the balance of power in that industry instantly. Suddenly you’d be seeing big legitimate business get involved.

It makes you wonder what would happen next, all of the drug dealers would need a new way to make money.

Some would go legit.

The rims industry would need a bailout.
Cricket and boost mobile would go under.
There would be a ton less money floating around the hood buying guns and shit. Over time we could likely reduce police presence accordingly.

even if all drugs were made legal, there would still be a lot of illegal dealers and drug crime etc…

plus, can you picture all the health / crime / social problems once legit businesses are promoting use freely?

as for the libertarians party… they have some good ideas, but I always leave with the feeling they they are too radical / pro-anarchy for me to believe they will ever get power.

You really think so? The alcohol bootleggers died off pretty quickly once prohibition ended. There is some cigarette smuggling that goes on to try to avoid taxes, but on a miniscule basis.
The health/crime/social problems could be alleviated by taking the HUGE amount of drug war resources and focusing on the consequences. The police would be able to focus more on violent and property crime, and on people driving under the influence. If you cut off the money supply, you cut off the motive to shoot each other, and the money to buy the guns. There would be more money for drug education and rehab. It’s about focusing on the effects of drug addiction, not on the recreational use/possession itself.

but I just don’t think it’s that simple. for exmaple: how strong do allow legal pot to be?

juat?

Uh oh, we got another Fox News parrot. You must of seen their “this ain’t your grandpas weed” report.

Epic fail on your part for believing that non-sense.
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8127/patterson.gif

regardless there is still coke,crack,meth,and a million other drugs to sell… everything would have to be legal