You don't "need" a cold air intake

derrr :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d imagine most gains are due to the mesh being less restrictive than a pipe w/ a filter :slight_smile:

i hope some day i can be just like you!.. or atleast my car can be like your car… lol

:lol: :word:

this thread reminds me that i need to clean my filter HAI-4-LIFE

:tup: for filter cleaning

But you’re SURE its not MAF based? I mean, they’re sometimes hard to miss while you’re modding your car to run 11s. I could totally see how you’d miss it. So are you sure?

Shutup you cartoon robot :slight_smile:

Mark,
I like your testing but I would like to see a third scenario where you put the filter directly on the turbo… I want to see if the mesh is really doing much better than a regular filter.

Not an option, I have no room there. Its funny, my turbo is SO SMALL when there is nothing attached to it. I can’t believe my car is fast at all. With a turbo this size, it should run 14’s.

damn good write up man! i take it u have ems on your car? if so which one r u running? its awesome u picked up 2psi by removing your intake pipe. nothing like free hp

I am stock computer still :snky: I don’t even run an AFC or anything to control fuel, hehe.

so did your cams do alot for you? im thinking about picking up a set next summer

I don’t have a comparison dyno to show that they work, but I spool almost instantly, and i make power to 6500 rpm. I don’t ever fall on my face up top. I have the Crane 14’s, I would recommend the Crane 18’s or the BC stage 2 or stage 3 cams. They require more valvetrain upgrade, but provide more results.

if theres no difference really, and you already have an intake tube with a real filter that fits…why not continue to use that and not risk sucking dirt, sand, bugs, etc into the turbo…?

Well, the difference was less stuff in my engine bay, more air flow, and more boost. The only place where there was no difference was in the air temps :slight_smile:

yea im most likely going to get some crane 18s then… cause my car is just slow compared to yours… lol. getting the agp wastegate this weekend and hopefully be gettin a new t body for faster spool and throttle response
back on topic your set up looks sick i want a ride!. i like it with the mesh instead of the intake…
these cars look so close to stock even when they have a shit ton done to them! =)

how is the blue plate treating you? i have one just dont want to install it because i heard they are annoyingly loud!

My car is quicker than yours, but… it has a lot more done too. Your car is quick for what is done! There isn’t too much on the car that hasn’t been touched.

I like the blue plate. Its loud, but the car is loud as hell anyways. You can get an upgraded spring so it doesn’t blow off as much as stock. I’ve heard that its better to vent to atmosphere on high HP cars than to recirc, for turbulence reasons. I am not sure how true that is, but its working OK for me.

–mark

Hey TsiTalon, you should think about getting a baffled oil pan if you’re going to do more track days. Starving the pick up is scary.