You have $1800-$2000 to spend ...

I do…is there something better?

I figured you got the stuff already…

The burner is junk, the only thing worse is a LG, get a Samsung.

Case is garbage, and steel, but thats not a big deal and somewhat opinion based.

1.5TB is junk, and if youre going to run 500’s in raid 0, get two 320 or 640 seagates, theyre much faster.

I suppose the monitor is acceptable.

The VGA is very good, but also very expensive and somewhat beyond overkill at that resolution, I would get a 4870X2 over it, but the 295 does outperform it for about $100 more.

Those speakers probably suck, but youre not going to get much in that price range.

Ram is great for the price. 6GB is not ‘excessive’ in any way. But of course you need a 64bit OS, you should be running one reguardless.

CPU is not overkill like people are saying. With a TRUE 120, you could run 4.0Ghz with HT on and decent temps. Just make sure to get 2 quality 120mm fans for it. Or you could run liquid, but thats about 3-500 for a decent setup, and anything below that is just horridly poor. Dont run the stock cooler.

Mobo isnt what I would chose, but people have got good results with it.

This PSU is a better buy, about as good as it gets in the 1KW class. Glad youre in the market for a beefy unit… 1000W is ‘overkill’ but there is nothing at all wrong with that. I prefer to keep my PSU under 1/2 load at all times… And you would be right around there.

Yea touch metal on the power supply or case…

Newegg sold out of the EVGA GTX 295… so I’m waiting…
(scratch that, sold out of ALL GTX 295s… for an overkill card there sure are a lot of people buying them)

I’m going with the 1220 watt kingwin PSU now I think too. Figured I’d give it a try.
Changed it to (2) 1TB drives in RAID
I’m getting the BLURAY burner now.
I’m leaning toward eliminating the 5.1 and getting a 28" monitor (1080P, 1900x1200, 3ms) with built in speakers instead. Afraid of the 800:1 CR, but it should be fine.

I thought about it and I always game with the headphones on… with a mic, and speakers suck in that scenario. I’ll have audio when I play the PS3 on the monitor… and I’ll have 4" more :slight_smile:

Just did the tax return… if I can sell some of the crap I just posted I might upgrade a couple more things while the cards are out of stock.

Fuck speakers…especially if your gaming.

If you want speakers however I’d suggest the Logitech Z5500s

Headset wise. I’m planning on purchasing the Sennheiser PC 350 headset.

The 295 is NOWHERE near overkill. The lowest video card you can put in a computer and consider it to be decent is a 4870. Wait for the EVGA 295 to be back in stock, EVGA has a epic lifetime warranty that sends you a new card so long as there isnt massive physical damage.

Kingwin is garbage. If youre going to drop some money on a PSU, make sure its quality. It can be expensive and still be shit compared to another. The only PSU review site I would listen to is JonnyGuru. The rating on the PSU isnt god. A 1000w PSU can outperform a 1200w PSU in every aspect, easily. And they often do.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Review_Cat&recatnum=13

What 1TB drives are you intending to purchase? Dont get F1’s, or the Green drives. Hitachi’s would be my choice.

In terms of monitors, there is a EXTREME amount of information the ‘specs’ dont give you. You can almost throw the specs they give you out the window, theyre almost all useless. Size and resolution is all you can go by. They generally never tell you the most important thing, what type a panel the display uses… Im not that knowledgeable about displays though, so I can really tell you what to get.

Personally I would go with smaller drives in RAID. Maybe like 120s or at least partition the 1TBs. I have a 1000w Antec PSU which I think newegg is out of stock of. Antec makes a really solid PSU this is my second one and not a problem with either. You might want to look into the .12 Seagate drives also.

Best of Luck.

I ended up spending like $2400 w/o the BLURAY burner…

PNY VGA for now… I might return it for the EVGA when it comes in.

$85 on a keyboard and $30 on a mouse… didn’t think I’d see the day.

Firstly… this monitor is amazing.

I suck at vista, I’m not gonna lie.

just admit it

it’s no CRAY

umm… I bought the CRAY.

:slight_smile:

Actually, now that my screen is big enough, i can fit it all on the screen, almost.

Some pics of the beast…

I’m loving it. Just getting used to x64 has been interesting. I’ve already downloaded my first torrent :wink:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/JACK1992VR4/DSC00849.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/JACK1992VR4/DSC00844.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/JACK1992VR4/DSC00846.jpg

I actually bought this desk off of someone on UBRF years ago… its still here.

This is my first mouse without a ball in it. It is the V5000.

This G15 keyboard is pretty sweet too…

I’m not going to bother with wire managment in the case until my card gets in there. Right now I have a GTX 260 216 Super Clocked in it… instead of my constantly backordered GTX 295. There are actually a bunch of blue neons through out the case… which were washed out by the flash on my camera.

So I got an EVGA X58 mobo in the mail today, as well as the SATA DVD burner I should have gotten in the first place. My XIGMATEK Dark Knight CPU cooler should be in tomorrow or Wednesday and my GTX 295 should also be in that same time.

Then I’ll be done for a little bit.

4GHz shouldn’t be a problem…

Looks like I broke my links from the previous post… so I’ll update with pics from a couple weeks ago.

This is before the re-wire, and before I put in my GTX 285 SSC Limited.

Then some wire managment, while still waiting for the card.

Random…

Looks good! Now get yourself a diff cpu cooler and start pushing that i7 a bit.

Ordered the XIGMATEK Dark Knight… which should be good for 4GHz. Should be in soon. :slight_smile:

Youre not going to get 4Ghz unless you really know what youre doing. Yes, it will post and maybie even boot, but it wont be stable. And on that cooler, it would be considered nearly a suicide run.

It takes some of the worlds best overclockers to get the i7 920 stable for 2 mins at 4ghz on air, and im sure they had very cold ambient temps and a lapped TRUE with some insane airflow.

I wouldn’t even run 3.8 on that, maybe 3.6 daily. It depends on how low you can get the Vcore and keep it stable… Watch the VTT and VDim, it kills these chips easy. Its not like the 65nm kentsfileds that take voltage and dont care.

Why spend unnecessary amounts of money on other items and then cheap out on the CPU cooler if you plan on overclocking?

Im by no means one of the worlds best overclockers. Ive got a TRUE with ocz freeze on my i7 920 and its prime stable at 4.2ghz (with turbo mode and HT enabled) and I run it 24/7. Right now it is idling at 42c and full load at 68ish. Although I did get a really good chip. It only needed +225mv vtt and 1.31875 vcore to get 8 hour blend stable. The ram is also at 1600mhz with 1.6v. Thats most definitely safe for 24/7 use. If he gets a good chip, like ive got, 4.0 shouldnt be a problem. Its quite common on the EVGA forums, its just some require a bit more vcore.

So, the turbo is set at 4.2?

Thats very good if youre running 4.2 blend stable with HT on. Acceptable VTT as well.

Im not saying its not possible. But on that cooler, I wouldnt run 4.0+. I would expect to see mid 70’s load temps. And what I consider ‘stable’ is generally more intensive than the usual. 8 hour blend is more of a stable-ish. It needs to pass a few hours of linpack without cooking.

If your computer isnt on 24/7 folding, I suppose it may be acceptable, but generally any i7 920 over 4Ghz isnt quite the rock solid stable I would want.

Ya, but I mean, 8 hour blend is good enough for 95% of users. It never crashes, even after a couple hours straight of gaming. I just got lucky with a good chip. Its actually 200qpi, so 4.0ghz then with turbo its 4.2ghz. Ive taken it to 4.4 before (with turbo) but it needed 1.4ish vcore and I wasn’t happy with the temps. 4.4 is a bit too much on air, and the difference from 4.2 is barely noticeable, especially since there was no gpu bottleneck to be relieved.

edit: Jack, with your evga mobo, Id high suggest removing the vreg heatsink and putting some mx-2 or something on there instead, before you decide to overclock. The vregs on the EVGA boards are smokin. They can take alot of heat and its normal, but right now mine are idling at 58c with my current overclock. Thats considered on the low side for this board with a heavy overclock. The mx-2 dropped my temps quite a bit. Its def worth it.

I don’t plan on staying at 4GHz 24/7. I want to hit it, stabalize, and then go back down to 3.8ish for daily computing.

This cooler isn’t half as bad as people are thinking it is. You don’t have to spend $80 on a cooler to OC an i7. it has been proven time and time again.

It performed well, very well actually, in the reviews I’ve seen. I’ve spoken to a couple people who have a similar cooler and they are very happy with it. $30 more would have gotten me… what? 5-7* difference?

This wasn’t done on an i7, but they were very impressed with the cooler.

Another good one with impressive results.
http://www.pureoverclock.com/article719.html

And another…

I’m not even cherry picking these, this is the result of the top 4 Google hits.

Do you have any reviews or personal experience that would lead me to believe that I made a bad choice? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not calling you out or anything, I’m clearly here for the education.

I’ll keep that in mind. I’m not looking to get crazy here… and I don’t think 4GHz for a couple hours is going to kill anything.