Recomend me a new mobo/processor

I prefer intel, as far as mobos go, I’d like to be able to use my existing AGP graphics card, and my 184 pin DDR 400 (PC 3200) RAM (2x 512MB). Should have on board RAID, ethernet, USB (4 x 2.0) firewire and sound.

I’ll upgrade that stuff in the future, but just don’t care to right now.

I don’t know what all the coolest kids are using for processors, it is highly unlikely that I’ll want to overclock. Keep it around ~$200 or less. I just want my desktop running again… I don’t play games (right now)

most new, good motherboards are ddr2 ram and pci-e, tho some have agp.

core2 duo is the CPU to get.

Sell your agp card and your ddr memory, you aren’t going to be able to use it in most core2 duo mobos (if any).

Dell had a slick deal on a dual core amd desktop with a 20 inch digital lcd and all the extras for 599 so building a computer hardly makes sense anymore.

The only way I can see building a computer is if you want something really custom, or have really special needs what you do with a computer (video editing box, etc).

In the old days it used to be cheaper to build your own computer, now its not even close. Especially when you factor in the cost of vista.

Just get a working machine again as cheaply as possible. Like myself, you are a full generation behind so anything you upgrade will require everything else to go with it.

If you get a modern processor and motherboard you’ll need DDR2, a PCIe video card, and SATA hard drives. You might need a better power supply to drive all that too.

[quote=“boardjnky4,post:2,topic:26856"”]

all new, good motherboards are ddr2 ram and pci-e

[/quote]

if you purchase anything else you are foolish…

of course if you already have 2gb of DDR ram, and an AGP card, its a obvious option to save yourself money, and grab what is accommodating to what you need

Hrmmm… decisions.