2003 350Z winter tires

Hi all. my stock tires i had were 225/45/18 and 245/45/18 front/rear respectively. for the winters i have put on 225/55/17 all around. anyone see an issue with this? tirerack.com suggested 225/50/17 fronts and 225/55/17 rears. so my front is a little bit higher, any issues with this?
thanks.

highly unlikely you’ll see anything other than a bit of visual “thickness”

the difference has got to be almost nothing…

at least this way you can rotate your tires without any real diff in the way they feel…

if you cant fell the difference in ride etc between these and the OE’s you wont fell the difference then either

the diff is almost ZERO…tire shops are notorious for being uber paranoid.

“oooh no you cant put 225/65/16 on a car that calls for 215/60/16’s”
“really, why? will it explode?”
“no…its just not recommended…”
“gimme a break… who are you kidding…gimme these or I’ll go eltsewhere”
“yes sir”

DONE DONE and DONE… most factory rims and cars will handle
3 sizes larger in width
AND
1 or 2 sizes taller in profile.

narrower tires are recommended for cars runnig OE tires at 225 wide or more

Taller profile is recommended in winter for 55 or lower (if there is room)
going from 55 tall to 75 tall is possible on almost any car
(350Z’s and 300’s and the like are usually the exception)

this is all in the assumption you dont care if your speedo is out a bit.

First of all welcome,
I am not trying to trash on you but you need to do some research before making any and all purchases.
www.my350z.com is a good place to start, and I highly recommend you start doing some research before making any further purchases.

As for your tire selection, you exceeded the maximum 3% increase
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

A few things you might want to look out for…
Have you seen your SLIP light come on?
This could cause problems with your VDC as well.
Also the 3% increase over OEM, can potentially cause brake problems.

Best of luck

i haven’t noticed any lights or ride differences. all seems smooth. pretty much the concern was running 55 instead of 50 at the front. thanks for the input though. i did post/search other forums but with no luck on my topics. appreciate your response.

oooo 3%
you gotta be kidding me…brake problems

are you princesses or drivers?

if a car cant take more than 3% without doing more than throwing out the speedo a bit…id turn it in for a ford

besides oversized should reduce the slip

and if your vdc will detect and engage incorrectly for a 3% oversized tire
your goona eat some serious brake pads in this country winter weather.

sounds like some of the traction control modules out there…
they engage so late they are responsible for more accidents than they stop…

your VDC sounds like it engages so early your brakes run partially engaged at almost any time a hobo pee’s in the wind modifying the delicate humidity balance…

seriously dude…you gotta be kidding me… VDC throwing at what?..a 7% increase in the initial 10% of horizontal movement before basic suspension dynamic and chasis reflex…

its not a ferrari

FYI the VDC and brake does act fubar when out of 3% size. Kicks on all the time and shit. Happens with my winter tires, I just disconnect the vdc, ebd, tcs, and “back up vdc”. The only thing I have is ABS.

It’s pretty important to keep the Z within 3% in order for VDC not to fuk up.

sdo its the car thats waaaay too sensetive then…

just as i thought

First off, you generalize way to much and contradict yourself in this post. I am stating facts from my own research which I did for a vehicle that I OWN.

Thank you for verifying.

Are you kidding me?
Did you not type that trash in the first quoted post?

It seems as if anytime someone disagrees with your diagnosis you jump into a frenzy of defensiveness. Sorry to say, but you are not always going to be right. So give it a rest man…
I did not post to measure, I did not post to challenge, instead I posted to try and assist another 350z owner.

OP, hope everything stays cool.

what size tires do you run for winter?? so when VDC kicks in is it more like it kicks in more often then it should be so not much of a concern or is it “damaging” in some sort? besides possibly wearing the brakes out to quickly?

thanks

he means it kicks in pretty hard
rather than more gradually like its supposed to do…

i suggest remove that VDC crap like he did…you should be able to bust well past 10% to 20% before you affect VDC…but you cant…

so if you can really drive…ditch it…sounds like more of a hinderance anyway

if you notice that is a compund mathamatical equation that i wrote out in “speach” to make it clearer…

im not nocking you but the total lateral increase in tire movement before full extension is going to be about 10.7%…this is suuuper uuuber minor.

noticeable by those who know their car well…but still minor…

please not the “are you kidding me” is something i say all the time…not a fight picker…take it like “gawd yer killin me over here”
or “my goodness Betty Sue, thats super keen strange”

its a coment towards the car not you…its stunning to find out that the manufacturers have thrown so much at the drivers disposal today and ALSO taken away so much…

seriously dude it was towards the car…“You gotta be kidding me that they set it up that tight”

^thank you for clarifying.
I must have misunderstood your post.

I beleive there is a switch to turn VDC off just like there is one for TCS. i will turn it off and see how it goes although I haven’t seen issues yet… BTW where is the backup VDC/TCS??? if there is a backup then the VDC/TCS switch is kinda pointless then. :slight_smile:

^The switch is there, but it doesnt seem to totally disable the VDC.

XuperXero disconnected his VDC wire only because it hindered his performance in grip events.

^He is right, I did it solely for grip events as the EBD kept on kicking in and eating away my rear pads, Reality can assure you how badly they ate the rear pads. But disconnecting VDC also disables Back-Up VDC (Yaw sensor), EBD, and TCS. Pushing the switch only disables primary VDC and TCS. You can still drift and whatnot, if you are going to run more than 3% size difference in winter tires, then turn VDC off everytime you get in the car and learn how to control fishtailing/drifting.

I’ve been find without VDC and I’m still on summer tires. (Yes i’m crazy for driving summer tires on snow).

215/60/16 here IIRC… leaving VDC on when running more than 3% makes the VDC kick in more often than usual… even when you are not slipping especially during corners as tire rotation speeds are different, the computer thinks you’re sliding. It’ll cut engine power by 30% IIRC and brake all 4 wheels individually causing uneven pad wear. Hence why my rear pads got ate away so fast.

sorry i’m new at this. where is the VDC wire that should be disconnected?

Thanks

err, unless you want to have headaches of trying to reattach the wire…i would recommend against it.

If your slip light isn’t coming on, you might be ok.

You’re better off just pushing the “VDC Off” button, I had to take the entire center console off to access the wire. I highly recommend against it as it’s a royal pain in the ass.

isn’t it also illegal to cut the vdc wire? if it is illegal i think you may want to avoid it in case you’ll need to visit the stealership in the future.

If you go with xuper’s recommendation having it off then be good with when to let off the gas pedal before and a lil countersteering or you’ll fishtail or drift off a highway ramp :wink:

Theres also some poor road materials that make you fishtail easily even when your accelerating normal on sunny/warm days…i can only imagine the nightmare with vdc off and snowy/wet conditions.

If you’ve got the cash i’d suggest buying another pair that doesn’t go over the 3%…you definitely don’t want to drive vdc off if you’re not use to the Z yet.

Drive safe! but good thing the weather has been drying the roads from the snow.

You are an exception to the rule, only because your driving skills are far from average.