360 modding questions

Ok, so I’m going out to buy a 360 today. Can you still buy them with the flashable dvd drives? If so, how can I tell what it has before I actually buy it? (if you can)

if it doesn’t, I have to use a mod chip, correct? Any disadvantages to this other than cost or voiding the warranty?

I haven’t paid much attention to any of this.

thanks in advance

All drives are flashable, and no u cant tell by looking at them, the cover has to come off, thus voiding the warranty, unless u can get the sticker off without ripping it, which is not hard to do.

You have to flash the firmware to play burned games. I have all the info if u want, email me.

http://www.xbox-scene.com/

thanks kevin… I’ll email you when I get home later

so I can just go with the cheap “arcade” version and it’ll still work?

i think so, if it doesnt have a HDD you can use a memory card i believe.

http://www.team-xecuter.com/

Sigh

thanks guys :tup:

just did a little looking around and gamestop has refub units for 250.00

score :slight_smile:

Kevin, I’ll be hitting you up later with questions

you want a samsung or benq/phillips drive. the hitachi are modable but you need to solder a resistor to get it into the correct format.

my roommate got a refurb system and it RRoD in 3 weeks. Dont waste your time. Just buy a system. Your chances are it will last longer new than a refurb since your warranty is shot as soon as you open it to mod it.

I took your advice and went with a new arcade system.

I’d be pretty bent if it took a shit after a few months/weeks of ownership. Plus you know that it wasn’t abused earlier in it’s life

aren’t you the guy on here that does the mod chips?

oh, by the way… where is the cheapest place to get a hard drive for it?

100 bones for 20 gigs is laughable… there has to be cheaper sources out there.

gotta get the xbox one, it come loaded with all the shit it needs i know it sucks

yes. i have done a lot of xbox’s on here. i just bought a new arcade system from circuit city and got the benq drive. modded and playing gta 4.

only issue ive seen with the arcade with gta4 is you lose the cache ability so sometimes the game delays when loading maps and driving really fast.

as for the hard drive, you can pickup the specific ones that are online and make put them as the xbox system drive. i have debated doing this but i dont download a lot of media so a hard drive isnt a big deal for me since i stream everything from my server.

thanks guys :tup:

BTW, instead of making a new thread, have any of you upgraded the fans on your xbox’s? When I turn mine on, it sounds like my 8800GT does on full speed… I almost need headphones on to cancel out the sound of it.

I imagine upgrading to a more powerful and quieter fan can’t be too difficult.

I just ordered the Talismoon Whisper Max fans.

http://secure.llamma.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=73_89&products_id=868

thanks for the link :tup: does this void the warranty?

If you open the case it will void the warranty. Fans require you to remove the case.

Yeah it voids the warranty as you have to open the xbox, but if you plan on modding the firmware then your warranty is gone anyways.

if ur gunna mod ur box its voided anyways, i have the 12v mod to my fans nice and loud. lol so i just turn up my volume.

If you heat the little warranty sticker with a hair dryer then use a really sharp razor blade you can peel back the warranty sticker so that when you close the case back up it looks like it hasn’t been tampered with.

At the rate MS is turning these around for RRoD I seriously doubt they would notice mine. I really took my time taking it apart and didn’t fuck up the tabs or anything though.

nice way to get banned when ms checks your bios and sees your voltage increase.