Modding a 360

So, I have a xbox 360, i’ve always read places of people “modding” them.

Is it possible to “mod” it so I could go to a local video store, rent a game and SAVE it to my hard drive so I could play it again with no disk?

I’m not too smart when it comes to this so I need some NOOB help for sure. can anyone point me in the right direction?

No.

You could mode is so you can burn a copy of that game you rented onto a dual layer disk (preferably Verbatim since those seem to work best with the 360).

You’d also need to take the drive out of the 360 and hook it up to your PC each time you wanted to copy an original disk on the PC. Or, spend $30 for a Kreon flashed drive on ebay and put that drive in your PC. I did the later.

But to read any burn you have to re-flash the firmware on the xbox.

I found it was so much easier to download and burn. Games are already patched if you know what to look for and check and I have never had a problem with a bad game since I verify all mine.

I am modding someones already this weekend, I can hook you up too if you want.

Easier yes. Safer, no.

And once you have the $30 Kreon it’s idiot proof. No worry about patching, or if someone patched the ISO correctly because the drive extracts it perfectly.

That said I’ve downloaded a lot more than I’ve copied. :slight_smile:

Ehhhh…I push everyone away from this option and to verifying downloaded games. I guess its just what you feel comfortable with.

Push them away from which option? The Kreon? It doesn’t get any safer or easier than backing it up yourself.

1. You’re not illegally downloading something.
  2. The game is an exact copy of a legit game, so no need to worry about stealth patch BS.
  3. The game is a copy of an OEM retail version, so no need to worry that it was some leaked development copy that could also get you flagged.

Your logic astounds me.

? Which do you think a bigger risk, downloading from some torrent, or even newsgroup, or privately making the backup yourself on your computer with a rented disk you legally have in your possession?

Well in your example, you still are making illegal copy of games that you do not own.

I have no problem downloading a game that I have a legal copy of for backup. I did it with Guitar Hero II when the XBox scratched it. Download, run through the check to make sure it verifies, burn. Simple.

:lol:

Yeah, I’m sure you modded your xbox just so you can play backups of games you bought.

Look, I’m saying for people who have already decided to cross the line and make an illegal copy, it’s safer to do it yourself than download it. You see torrent sites getting busted all the time and don’t think that newsgroup you pay a subscription for doesn’t have records of everything you downloaded. It’s only a matter of time before one of them gets slapped with a subpoena.

Catching the guy who’s backing up games from Gamefly, Blockbuster, or borrowed from a buddy is almost impossible since there is no searchable evidence.

Usenet has already been attacked and been attempted to be taken down. Nothing will happen with Usenet for a while and just like torrent sites, the servers and companies will go down and come under fire, not the users.

On top of that, Usenet is anonymous and a proxy and keeps no record of what is being downloaded. Only that you are transferring bytes and you are logged in. When you post, the header is removed so only the Usenet providers info is posted and if someone did demand records, all they would get is that your username has downloaded X GB of data from their servers. Thats it. Torrents can NOT be compared to Usenet since its function and use is completely different.

So you need to flash the firmware of the drive in your xbox once? (and then anytime an updated firmware for this comes out).
Buy said Kreon flashed drive.
Install in PC.
Then start renting/borrowing/burning/playing games?

Or is there more to it? I want to do this but i just don’t want to end up getting a perma ban from live.

I should have put a :rofl: after my post. I understand what you’re saying but it’s 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. If you are a n00b, you are probably better doing it via your way but if you know what you are doing, you can download all day and not worry about getting busted.

Correct.

Mod the firmware, make sure you have a dual layer dvd burner that supports bit setting, and either download or buy a kreon drive and make your own backups. The only way you will get banned is if you mess up the backup and its not an exact copy or you download a shitty release.

Fixed.

No one knows if MS anti-piracy is sitting around finding a new way to detect our “perfect” backups or flashed firmwares. You are never 100% safe playing a burned game on live, but we all do it. The way I look at it most modders have well over 1k in games so even if console gets banned if/when MS strikes with some new mod detection they’re still way ahead of the game by just picking up a used system and flashing the new fix onto it.

actually bitsetting is not as important as it once was with the newest firmware

so after doing a LITTLE reading…does this firmware only work on samsung sh-162b and c? or do you think my sh-162m could be flashed with this firmware. Only problem is i can’t even flash samsungs latest firmware to the drive. the program pretty much bricked it. Only thing its good for is reading disc’s and lightscribe burning.