Another reason why Canada sucks...

I must be retarded. I heard about the radar detector law, but never saw a sign about it when I went to Canada. Every time I went to Canada I had my radar detector, and no one ever said anything to me about it. And I had it on too.

Maybe I’m just lucky.
Now I know for next time.

Thanks baseball kid for getting in trouble!.

i didnt know it was illegal to posess one, i usually just throw it in the glove box. maybe ill leave it at home since i dont want to lose a $400 piece of hardware. oh and V1, Beltronics, Passport, whatever thats undetectable, i have an old ass uniden detector that picks up signal from all those detectors even Beltronics and V1, so yah its bullshit if i can spot people, the cops can definately pick your detector signal up…

enough people are giving you shit in this thread for not knowing the laws…so i wont too…

but i’m still curious wtf kinda sticker the cop was referring to? do you need some kind of special sticker that says “OK” to put on the bottle, that way when you get pulled over, the cops sees it, and realizes it’s OK for you to have it? :gotme:

i had a cop pull me over. rip my radar of my dash, smashed it. and says americans dont learn. and then i said, you litterd and he started threating me with ’ jail’ lolol

Still not sure what the sticker he was asking for was, but I looked up the nitrous law and really enjoyed the law that immediately followed it, so here they are:

Nitrous oxide fuel systems prohibited

172.1  (1)  No person shall drive or permit to be driven on a highway a motor vehicle manufactured or modified after its manufacture such that nitrous oxide may be delivered into the fuel mixture unless,
     (a)    the part of the fuel system that may connect to a canister, bottle, tank or pressure vessel capable of containing nitrous oxide can be clearly seen by looking at the interior or exterior of the motor vehicle;
     (b)    there is no canister, bottle, tank or pressure vessel connected to that part; and
     (c)    if the part of the fuel system that may connect to a canister, bottle, tank or pressure vessel capable of containing nitrous oxide is located inside the passenger compartment, there is no canister, bottle, tank or pressure vessel capable of containing nitrous oxide in the passenger compartment.  2007, c. 13, s. 22.

Same

(2)  No person shall drive or permit to be driven on a highway a motor vehicle manufactured or modified after its manufacture such that nitrous oxide may be delivered into the fuel mixture unless,
     (a)    the part of the fuel system that may connect to a canister, bottle, tank or pressure vessel capable of containing nitrous oxide is completely disconnected from the part of the system that connects to the engine;
     (b)    the disconnection can be clearly seen by looking at the interior or exterior of the motor vehicle; and
     (c)    the disconnected parts cannot be reconnected from inside the passenger compartment.  2007, c. 13, s. 22.

Offence

(3)  Every person who contravenes subsection (1) or (2) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $500 and not more than $2,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both.  2007, c. 13, s. 22.

See: 2007, c. 13, ss. 22, 49 (2).

Horse racing on highway

173.  No person shall race or drive furiously any horse or other animal on a highway.  R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 173.

So they specifically ban being fast and furious…On your horse…

Canada is another country.

Stay out of it.

That is why I didnt pay mine. I lost my $200 dollar radar detector and also a $165 dollar fine? If I just got a ticket, I would have paid it. Since he took the radar and is prolly using it in his car, I refuse to pay it. I have been so scared to go into canada, let alone drive there so props to that.

Awesome. Most Canadian cops are assholes, esp to Americans for no reason what so ever. I got stopped at a DWI checkpoint and the cop was just looking to get me for something.

I am about 95% sure its illegal to have your radar detector in your car. They have almost unlimited authority to search your car for it if they have reason to. A check point and they see marks on your window, power plug, etc. they can search. The max fine is crazy too. Like $1,000 USD and something like 30 days in jail.

Well to be fair, if the majority of your experiences with Americans consists of dealing with asshole, douchebag, immensely immature 19 year olds coming over to get hammered and many of which likely drive around the area drunk, you’d be an asshole to younger American drivers as well.

Yea I would give you that much near the border since 90% of the people up there from America are to drink but I got stopped just outside Toronto and the cop had the same attitude too.

why would they have signs on the WAY BACK to NY where they are LEGAL?

On your side, he should have given you a warning, but it depends on if you were a dick with him or not. Sometimes the police are assholes to americans over here simply because the US highway patrol are the same to Canadians (not all the time, but you hear stories).

i just told him i didnt know…and acted dumb about it

it’s so cute how they think they could enforce the right to keep their country if shit came to shit

If the cop smashes your detector I’m pretty sure it wont respond to a radar gun if you take them to court. Sooo your out a detector but you wont have to pay the ticket.

Are you trying to say that since the cop broke his radar detector he won’t have to pay the radar detector ticket?

if they take it or break it… its illegal… you can still get ticketed for it… its like i shot a man… but he took my gun from me and now i cant be prosecuted… :noob::noob::noob::noob:(i never used the smilies like this before) they’re pretty sweet

agreed. It happens. They have radar detector detectors up there. Just be glad he didn’t make you crush it because that’s what they are supposed to do. He will probably sell it on ebay.

Anyone involved in the legal system will tell you, ignorance of the law is not a valad defense.

This was the post I was refering to. If sureshot is correct and you take them to trial than your broken radar detector will not meet the requirements of the court to prove guilt. Again assuming that the attorney sureshot spoke to was correct.

Also… if you take a radar detector into Canada your just asking for trouble, but if you’ve got the money and just dont care go for it.

I thought that if the cops smashes it, they don’t give you a ticket. If they smash it AND give you a ticket, go to court - You’ll get off :slight_smile:

There are multiple signs right after every bridge crossing.

The fact that you don’t know about a law doesn’t make it bullshit.

The fact that a cop enforced a law you were ignorant of doesn’t make him a dick.

Canada doesn’t suck. You do.