Canda and Tickets

I know this has been asked a lot but no one really ended up saying what happened.

If you have a ticket for a radar detector in canada and have not paid it from about 2 years ago, does border partrol enforce this if I were to ride with someone else?

I got speeding ticket in Canada and didn’t pay. The border never give me any problem even i used the car that got the ticket.

no. I had the same and I was searched and in immigration a bunch of times since… no one ever said a word

Thats what I figured. I would be worried if I got pulled over again in Canada but I figure border patrol has other things to worry about than a traffic ticket.

Makes you wonder what you can get away with leaving the country with. What about a few heavy tickets?

Point transfer to NYS from Ontario and their francophone neighbors to the east. Now the wording is a little vague around weither Ontario can trigger an out-of-province suspension on a NYS license(it definitely can for DWI, but unclear otherwise), but I wouldn’t chance it. They can also take the “collections agency” route in attempt to recover their money and that can fuck your credit history.

I had a radar ticket …5 years ago now. I never paid the ridiculous $611 fine. I go to Canada all the time, and have never had a problem. Actually last year I drove back and forth through Canada every week to go to Detroit with no troubles. They sent me letters in French, and eventually sent it to a collections thing, but I never paid, and I’ve never seen anything on my credit report or driving record. I’ve never had a problem at the border either.

I may still have those letters actually…

Maybe the radar detector doesn’t fall into the same category, but I love the mentallity of, “I ignored it so it must be ok”.

EDIT:
Nevermind, I thought we were talking about Canada. If I got a ticket in “Canda” I’d ignore it too. I can’t even find that place on a map. :wink:

I can only think of Canadain Bacon, John Candy’s last movie now. “Excuse me sir, your going to have to write that in both english and french” hahahhahahaah

http://www.lovefilm.com/lovefilm/images/products/9/20559-large.jpg

no.

Yea its been quite some time now. I know that Canada can sent a letter to NYS DMV and have your license suspended but when I talked to the DMV, they said that if Canada did do that, the NY DMV would send me a letter saying that you failed to respond to the ticket and have a certain time limit to do something about it.

The people who have been back and forth, have the guards entered your ID into the computer and were you driving the same car that you got the ticket in?

I have also heard that with things like Radar tickets, they don’t care as much but I do know some people who have been turned away for having a DWI in Canada.

I had an incident in canada once. I got to the light right before the bridge in fort erie and saw the flashing lights comming. I was young and blew the light and went over the bridge. I then received letters for saying you have been charged, then convicted etc… i ended up with a ticket for running the light (much better than the offense i would have been charged witth had i stopped) well in the end i never paid the fine i received letters for a while stating i was no longer allowed in canada and that if i entered i would be arested and jailed etc… i continued to go but i never took the car that they had the plate info from. None of it ever transfered to NYS keep in mind this was 20 yrs ago. But they somehow got my addresss etc… for the letters

Not with the same car, but with other cars that I’ve owned.

they gave you a ticket? I heard rumors that they either take it away for make you break it before them. It’s a non-moving violation anyways…why would it show up at the border?

They did take mine, but it wasn’t worth the fine to get it back.

Umm… you don’t get it back, even if you pay the fine.

It was a DWI checkpoint in canada. Cop was a dick and saw it and took it. Also wrote me a $200 dollar ticket.

I did research after and was told that canada has a strict policy about it. You can’t even have it in your car. Also, if they see signs that you use one such as the marks on your windshield, they have the right to search your car.

fuck that i never paid a ticket i got in canada.

stay the hell out of canada plain and simple i guess

I got a parking ticket in Toronto once. I immediately ripped it in half and tossed it in the trash… haven’t heard a thing since.

…wow, I feel so badass :headbang: