ATTN: Soccer players/Anyone who follows sports

Ok the whole David Beckham situation is killing me. I was watching PTI the other night and they were saying how he will have NO impact what so ever in soccer in the US. I totaly disagree. The man is golden. Its a great thing to have him back in the states. Even though he will probably not play in his debut the game sold out in under 5 minutes as well as almost every game he will be at this season. I think that the MLS will get a lot more publicity this season and I think thats a good thing for the sport. It will be nice to watch someone with as much tallent as he has play against great players from the states. What does everyone think about this? Agree? Disagree? Comments?

disagree

i think it will be more like a fad. people will watch his first few games maybe the entire year to see what the hype is.then it will go back to the way it was before there really isn’t a push for soccer here like other countries and not enough publicity

just my .02

i will watch some world cup soccer but i am not a soccer fan at all

I see your side. People will hop on the bandwaggon for a while, but in doing so it hepls the sport out by getting more publicity. There are a few other teams who are trying to get great players from other countries to come over and play. I am not a huge MLS fan only because of the no-names that play, but when teams have great players on their team like Beckham it makes me want to watch.

:gives:

Soccer sucks and won’t get any kind of coverage over, David Beckham or no David Beckham.

you suck

eventually soccer will takeover in the us, especially with all immigrants we let in our borders. the one thing i hate is most americans are oblivious to actual football, becks is not even in the top 50 in the world. i do think though that more players will come to us and mls will become just as big as the others within 100 years

Unless he’s kicking field goals for the steelers, i dont think anyone in pittsburgh cares.

X2

One thing I hate more than pricks is pricks who talk shit on soccer. Soccers a real mans sport. We dont wear fuckin full pads to tackel eachother. Most people should sit down and watch an EPL game and see how physical a game really is before they start talkin.

I agree with the whole oblivious comment. But in becks defense he isnt a top 50 but he is a hell of a footballer. Give him time. He wont ever ammount to no Rhonoldino but he will be great.

The biggest issue is that he is 1 player and vs. a team of 11 players…So, although he WAS a good player, doesn’t make him much of one now at the end of his career, particulary with the lower caliber of MLS, players. Predominately, he was good at taking free kicks and long distance shots, he was never fast which always helps and running around with these young buks in the MLS who are trying to prove that they are as good as him isn’t going to help him much. Plus it’s a totally different game in MLS vs. EPL.

Did any of you see the Brazil vs. Argentina game? Now that was impressive.

Yes, it’s obvious most in PGH don’t care about soccer.

I dont think its true at all that Pittsburgh isn’t big in soccer, highschool soccer has grown tremendously over the past ten years and you can go anywhere around Pittsburgh and there are leagues. Just cuz there isnt a team in or close to Pittsburgh doesnt mean its not big.

Anyways back on topic…Beckham isn’t going to make or break MLS because of his position, lets not forget he is an outside midfielder, not some flashy striker thats gonna score amazing goals and be on sportscenter all the time. Yes he is good a free kicks but those are as common as some break away or something similar.

Soccer is getting bigger though, you finally see the U-20 U.S. team is winning and this is because the sport is getting more money. It will continue to grow although I don’t think it will be as popular as football here in the states.

exactly!

Quaker Valley is huge on soccer. Had one of the Top 5 coaches for HS across the nation. Football on the otherhand QV went 0-10 2 yrs in a row and managed a 1-9 last year

We outscored our football team my sophmore through senior years lol

Watch/play a real sport, like hockey.

Hmm, Soccer, can’t check anyone, run around for what seems like forever, just to see 1-0, 2-1 games.

Even Baseball > Soccer.

obviously you’ve never watched soccer enough, never saw a keeper destroyed some little striker coming in the box? Collapsed lungs, shattered legs, concussions, etc are things ive seen in my life time playing keeper.

Hockey is sweet and I garuntee you Hockey prolly takes as much energy skating around as running around in soccer does.

And baseball is the most boring sport on the face of the earth to watch most of the time, granted playoff baseball > regular season

ssssssssssssslide tackle :greddy:

Verry well put.

Jper did you play ball for monessen?

i really do not think that he will have the slightest impact on MLS soccer in the long run. I agree that soccer will be the next trendy thing to do.

When I worked at the Greentree Sportsplex I worked with a guy that played MLS soccer for DC united and then he was traded to Columbus. He made absolutely no money playing. His salary was less than 30k a year. I watched him play soccer in a few leagues that we held and to the best of my knowledge he was good.