B5 Audi A4 2.8L V6 mileage questions

I was thinking about getting another audi for winter and daily driver duty and was looking at the 2.8L v6s this time instead of the 1.8T and I see so many different cars out there at so many different prices.

What is considered high mileage on these cars for someone who is good mechanically like I am and is pretty much just daily driving and winter driving. Looks like some bargains are out there for around $3000-4000 but miles are 160-180K. At that mileage is it just stuff like timing belt and usual maintenance or is the motor pretty much done?

Make sure you buy a 98.5 or newer with a 30v 2.8 v6. The older 12v v6 are junk. The timing belt, water pump, thermostat is supose to be done every 90k so with that many miles it will need to be changed a second time. Other then that all 8 control arms in the front go bad all the time along with wheel bearings

Oh yeh make sure the cats arent bad too, and check for a 1st gear whining noise on the 5spds

Already knew about most that stuff. so sounds like nothing of a surprise. I dont think i would look at anything older than 99 anyway.

Now which do you Vag guys prefer not for making power wise just for a good motor 1.8T or v6. My stock 1.8t was so gutless i dont think i would ever enjoy it so i was hoping the v6 was a little less gutless

My v6 has some nut for sure and its more reliable. Went 15.1 @ 92.8 :rofl

Thats actually not a half bad trap speed, I wouldve expected much slower.

Yeh k&n filter POWWWA

GermanPSI is right on with what he said.
o2 Sensors/cats, wheel bearings/cv, belts

It’s all about preventative maintenance- I will probably keep
my '01 until its got well over 200k…very solid cars if cared for

1.8T>2.8

Not if you are going for reliable you are so far off the ball its not even funny which I actually expect from you

moron.

my A4 1.8t had a dead turbo at 66k. bone stock. really awesome.

solid 17 second car. so slow. the only good thing about it was the color.

for a good daily a 30v is fine. if you want to make it fast and have money to waste, a late 2000-01 1.8t is the way to go but reliability becomes an issue at that point

a one eight is THAT bad?

at this point it may be, my car was only 5 years old when i had it. but you have ZERO experience with either so its best you keep your ignorant opinions to yourself.

idk, the 2.8 felt sluggish to me the 1.8 felt more nimble. wouldnt a lot of it depend on the previous owner? i mean, if the person didnt rape the car on a daily basis and did maintenance properly at proper intervals, theres really no reason why it should be a shitpile.

If my plans were to mod it Id pick the 1.8 since it looks like there is basically zero aftermarket support for the 2.8. But purely for daily driving purposes and keeping it bone stock Id stick with the 2.8.

The 2.8 is the better daily driver by far and I know GermanPsi has never had any issues with his other then typical control arm nonsense

Owned it 3 and half years without anything going wrong but control arms and a abs module

Any b5 you can kiss the control arms good bye at least every 20k

my brother had a 2.8 a few years back and it was always in need of something plus the engine bays are very tight. i think a 1.8t with a chip and some bolt ons will make a good daily, plus they get better gas millage than the 2.8l

is it a design issue with those or what happens to them?