Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD

Not to mention that of the TV’s that CAN display 1080p content, I bet the majority of the people cannot distinguish the difference between 1080i and 1080p because the content hasn’t gotten to that point yet where it is necessary. 1080p is more of a marketing “buzz word” than anything else right now.

Word, big name & biiiig player.

But, and I don’t want to get into a pissing match over this because I don’t care too much, there are alot of “names” associated with both sides. However:

http://www.engadget.com/media/2007/09/totalhddisc.jpg

Agreed, to an extent.

I bet the majority of people that have $600 - 1500 sets don’t really care either.

See: Olevia, Westinghouse, and likewise brands sold for dirt cheap @ walmart & the like.

That’s the other part of it, good point.

HOLY COW!
Amazon top 100 sold right now, only 3 HDDVD out of 100!!!

I feel bad for the people that got their HD tv’s first… not having HDCP compliant hardware would piss me right off.

I personally think that a looming player in this “battle” has yet to weigh in. Though i don’t expect them to make or break one side, but…

PC makers. Dell, Gateway, Compaq, eMachines, etc.

I don’t know sales numbers for these companies off hand, but I’m betting that they sell ALOT of DVD drives annually.
If once format becomes more favorable to data storage size, and cost effective (OEM wise at least), you can bet that they will be the logical next step in computing applications.

HOLY COW

Amazon top 100 sold right now, how many BlueRay players do you see?

The smart people bought them a long time ago so they won’t show up on the current list but, people are always buying movies.:slight_smile:

LOL, we get it, you bought a BRD player when they were $1k and consider yourself an early adopter. :stuck_out_tongue:

When the BD player price was WAY high. To tell the truth though, the PS3 is the reason people are snatching up so many BD movies. Hell, I am also willing to bet the Xbox and PS3 users are the ones buying the majority of the HD content out there.

No way, I waited until they were only $800 and got myself a deal!

DING DING DING

…and the price of the $180 add-on HDDVD player would explain the majority of the gap.

Shit, it’s down to $130 now I think…

fyi, that can plug right into the USB port of a PC and be used to play HD movies as well as on xbox.

probably the cheapest player around (or at least was for a while)

There were selling the drive itself on Ebay for like $80 bux which was PATA IIRC.

That’s another good point though.

Is it 1080p?

The 360 drive is only for reading content off the HD DVD disc. It’s up to your graphics card (in the 360’s case, yes), monitor, etc.

http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/11/8303/

looks like it uses a laptop style interface… could probably get an adapter of some kind and ditch the enclosure :tup:

EDIT: it’s a nice addon for the HTPC/MCPC people

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OFFICIAL-XBOX-360-HD-DVD-ROM-DRIVE-TOSHIBA-SD-S802A_W0QQitemZ120203969695QQihZ002QQcategoryZ122517QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem