What will win?

Blu-Ray
or
HD-DVD

HD DVD cause sony isnt making it. they have a bad track record

i have to say blue ray.

My motto for this year is “F*ck Sony”…HD DVD FTW

i think they will both stay around…if one does wins out it will be blueray

I’ve heard the word on the street is that they want 1 Format. companies dont want both formats. but i dunno

how many comapnies may blueray and how many can make hd dvd? one with the most producers will win

Certain movie studios back certain formats…some studios support both…ex: Sony and all of its sub-divisions will obviously support Blu-Ray while companies like Warner support HD DVD. This the main reason why i think this 2 format thing is stupid. Sony will only release its own movies on its own format…Granted from a business standpoint that’s smart, but for the consumer it sux. If i want Batman Begins (HD DVD) and Spiderman 2 (Blu-Ray) i need 2 different players!!! I really hope HD DVD comes out on top. Right now it seems that Blu-Ray has a slight edge with support…Luckily Microsoft has sided with HD DVD…if u look at it, did they really have any other choice???

warner is going to release something like 15-20 movies on bluray i read it in one of my highdef mags…& i think batman begins was on the list…just google batman begins bluray…something should turn up.

from what i read…they got their hands in both cookie jars.

studios

Blu-Ray
20th Century Fox
Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Electronic Arts
MGM Studios
Paramount Pictures
Sony Pictures Entertainment
The Walt Disney Company
Vivendi Universal Games
Warner Bros.

HD DVD
Buena Vista Home Entertainment
New Line Cinema
Paramount Pictures
The Walt Disney Company
Universal Studios
Warner Bros.

format “founders”

Blu-Ray
Sony Corporation
Royal Philips Electronics

HD DVD
Toshiba Corporation
Hitachi Corporation

list of Companies listed as Members of the Board or Managing Members

Blu-Ray
Apple Computer Corp.
Dell, Inc.
Hewlett Packard Company
Hitachi, Ltd.
LG Electronics Inc.
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Panasonic (Matsushita Electric)
Pioneer Corporation
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Sharp Corporation
Sony Corporation
TDK Corporation
Thomson
Twentieth Century Fox
Walt Disney Pictures and Television

HD DVD
Memory-Tech Corporation
NEC Corporation
Sanyo Electric Co.

there is a list of associates & contributors but its huge…you can look here

Blu Ray will likely win due to studio support, PS3 compatibilty and increased support.

My preference: Buy a PS3 and watch all the Blu Ray 1080P content you want and have the gaming capability.

But for those who need both LG and Panasonic have them in one unit:

lol

Thanx for the info showtime…Still hate Sony tho

the new update for the PS3 now upscales DVD’s, PS1, and PS2 games to 1080P HD… WOOT!!

its not quite blu-ray quality but you still notice a HUGE difference…

microsoft>sony
hd>blueray
xbox360>ps3

yeah i noticed…its was about time.

Blockbuster to Rent Out Blu-Ray Only

VICTORY!!! In a move that many would call absolutely crippling to HD-DVD, the largest rental chain in America, Blockbuster, has officially announced that they will not be renting out HD-DVDs. Their HD format of choice is the format that most have ended up choosing: Sony’s Blu-Ray. As a conducted test of preference, Blockbuster has been renting out both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies in 250 stores scattered across the country for the past nine months.

The results witnessed were that Blu-Ray rentals eclipsed that of HD-DVD by a ratio of over 7:3 - over 70% of HD rentals were Blu-Ray (which is also a close reflection of the format’s sales). Those 250 stores will keep the available HD-DVDs (though very likely in limited quantities), but the remaining 1450 stores will exclusively feature Blu-Ray as of this July.

“The consumers are sending us a message. I can’t ignore what I’m seeing,” Matthew Smith, senior vice president of merchandising at Blockbuster", told The Associated Press. “When you walk into a store and see all this product available in Blu-ray and there is less available on HD DVD, I think the consumer gets that,” Smith said.

Likewise, Smith cited the release of the PlayStation 3 last year as a momentum boost for the format. Most importantly though, the fact that Blu-Ray has the support of every major studio (with the exception of Universal), is the deciding factor in Blockbuster’s announcement. The company is much better of supporting a product that has an enormous assortment to choose from, as opposed to a constricted one.

“It will help shift the balance toward Blu-ray, clearly,” said Richard Doherty, president of The Envisioneering Group, a research company.

Clearly the North American HD DVD Promotional Group wasn’t too happy about this, criticizing Blockbuster as being shortsighted. They believe that Blockbuster is only looking at the performance of HD-DVD’s first three months of 2007, which were abysmally bad, and that has skewed their perception of the format. The group cites movies such as “The 40-Year Old Virgin” and “The Matrix” trilogy as boosting the format’s sales in players and performance.

“I think trying to make a format decision using such a short time period is really not measuring what the consumer is saying,” said Ken Graffeo, co-president of the group.

It seems like the HD-DVD group is grasping for straws here. Realistically, for every two major motion pictures that debut exclusively for HD-DVD, Blu-Ray sees a good 15. Where as HD-DVD is relying on the success of a select few, Blu-Ray isn’t faced with that struggle. And with Sony slashing prices of Blu-Ray players by half, down to $500 and with the impending PS3 price-drop, the gravestone has been written for HD-DVD. It’s time to break ground.

Truly disappointing…

I dunno…playstation has always been better than xbox…sony makes dumb moves but the games they have that aren’t on any other system all kick ass…

looks like sony is gonna win the war