Computer Spoof???

Thinking about throwing a set 4.11’s (3.42’s now) into my 98 bird til the camaro is done. I’m not worried about the speedometer being off. But I AM worried about the ABS wreaking havoc. I was thinking about just pulling the wire off at the diff. No signal, No problem. Right? Anybody know if this will work? I checked on reflashing the ECM and really don’t feel like forking out the two hundred cabbage for it. I’m cheap.

why not just pull the fuse on the ABS?

i believe the abs goes off of the abs sensor that is right at the brake disc. so changing the gears wont actually change the ratio that reads. if it goes of the speedo then you are screwed just pull the fuse. but more then likely it reads revs of the axle right at the brakes and they will still be the same as the front tires rotating.

Didn’t think of popping the fuse. I’m new to this computer stuff. I’ll try it out and see what happens.

Any ABS I’ve ever seen reads right off of the wheel speed sensor. ABS shouldn’t do anything at all unless the system detects braking input and the wheel locking up, which it should be able to detect in the same way no matter what gears you are running. It’s the reason you can change wheel size on most cars and, even if the speedo is off, the ABS still works. I wouldn’t bother modifying anything until you’ve tried the new gears.

how the fuck could the ABS work off of the speedo anyways? The speedo only measures one axle… :hsugh:

he could have 3 channel abs, which goes off the rear differential.

if your car didn’t come with traction control, you have a 3 channel abs system.

if your car does have traction control, you have a 4 channel abs system, with a sensor on each wheel.

either way, it will not throw an abs light

speedo will be off… could just get a tune and get rid of a lot of the un needed crap and calibrate the speedo.

I’m pretty sure it’s three channel. It has second gear start. Which I consider about worthless. I’m gonna pull the ABS fuse anyhow I think. On the rare occasion the computer thinks I DO need them it causes a slight amount of WTF on my part. There’s just something unnatural about your brakes pushing back.

look at your radio bezel, next to your fog lights… if you don’t see a button that says “TCS” then you don’t have tcs and you have a 3 channel rear end.

and vice versa

whatever abs you have it doesn’t matter, it won’t be affected

so basically your going to just pull the fuse no matter what anyone says. so pull the fuse. or you could just change the gears and see what happens

changing gears will not, will not, will not affect the ABS. As long as all four wheels are turning at the same rate, the abs wont be affected.

What affects abs is having tires with a different diameter front and rear.

^^I agree read up on some f-body forums, I was looking into a gear swap until something else makes an appearance, but none of them say anything about having abs problems, your speedo will just be off.

Source: Camarov6.com

yeah, just the speedo will be affected. Wont be any problem at all.

If you go on LS1tech.com there is a gear ratio to speed calculator on there. Use that and you can find your most common speeds and at what RPM you will be at.

FWIW my 6 speed camaro got better gas mileage with the 4.10 gears than it does now with 3.42. I was able to use 6th gear around town, and now it is too low.

wrong. the vss has nothing to do with any axle, it’s in the transmission.

The abs reads from the front wheels at the hub, and off the rear diff, gearing will not affect the system at all.

lastly, if you track your car, rip that abs shit up outta there

resurrecting threads that were almost dead and that should be dead 101.

because of miss information, but then again, pittspeed is miss information 101

Fixed!

fixed, gm’s are retarded