Corner Entry Handbrake VS ALL

Hey i searched to see if this had been posted before and didnt seem to find anything directly related to this but lets try it anyways -

i was wondering what everyone who drifts on here actually uses for corner entry -

lets use shannonville for a guide since im sure most of us have been there once or twice -

fell free to be specific which corner you use what on -

i just checked weight transfer because everything usually starts with that even if you have to clutch kick or pull the hand brake to save your self

Weight transfer. I brake and heel/toe right into the corner with slight trail braking action.

Handbrake = rear locks up = slide = fun, not really fast.

To go fast you don’t necessarily want to kick the rear out and drift… but this can depend on variety of corners…

What all of us should want is to be as smooth and precise while trying to take the shortest lines between corners… I don’t even have a handbrake LOL… so ya :slight_smile:

Good thread though so far.

Edit: I just noticed you edited the post and put “for drifting”. In that case I’ll keep out :smiley: Good luck

I’ll show you if I have a car to drive on July 16th :wink:

I’ve check “other” mainly because it all depends how your coming into a specific corner. The last 3 turns on shanny (by the pits) I initiate with my e-brake however, only because I can keep my speed up and up shift to 3rd during the last turn.

But turns like 1 and 2 I prefer using weight transfer mainly because there’s so much room to correct and push harder if needed.

I’ve never driven, nor drifted on Shannonville (Or anywhere else… ) but just from spectating, turn 1 looks like a scary corner to weight transfer on to. Probably easier for faster cars, but it looks like you could easily whip back and go off.

Yea, it’s a fast turn but its decently wide so it allows for you to enter wide and come in close to the inside apex than following outward to the outside edge of the track.

I click other casue i dont think it really matters?

if i wanna do a huge e brake slide into the drift …i do that …if i wanna weight transfer and drift i do that …ect…each way you do it really ends up the same …to me…i really dont know if theres a best way…just up to you…

some turns though like turn 0 on shannonville i would say you dont use your e brake lol

just go out there and try stuff

to each their own, i think every turn takes a new type of entry. i didnt click anything cause im rebellious

everyones cars and driving styles are so different it is hard to say a “best” form of entry. its pretty much what gets the job done for you… for example, someone may have their car set up rather loose and they may only need a slight flick of the steering wheel to get er sideways into a drift … others may need to be more agressive with the wheel and clutch kick to upset the traction in the rear… depending on the corner needed to drift sometimes an e-brake is nessessary

if you want you are welcome to come for a ride in my car next thursday… but my car may not be set up similar to yours so i dont know how much it will help

clutch>handbrake

Weight transfer, flick teh wheel, gas gas gas. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

My e brake was never locking hard enough.

To me it depends on the turn. If its a nice long turn I would kick the clutch, if its a short hair pin like turn I would pop the ebrake, and if its two quick curves with a small tangent piece usually weight transfer is all you need.

Again this all changes once you got some nice power under the hood too.

It’s all about combination.

Weight Transfer 50-80ft before the turn, ebrake up down up down, blip the brakes, shift down heal toe, mash gas.

That is what I do for the downhill on Shanny to get ultra early initiation Choku Dori!

I did this with stock KA, 17x9.5s and brand new 225/45/17s feddies in the rear. Damn I miss my s14 =(

this is wicked, everyone has said useful and correct statements, i mean, there is no real way to do it, if your sideways your doing it, and all the ideas are true, combos like lucas said, if your feelin balzie you drop the hammer and get the car sideways early and hope for the best, depending on your speed you can just give a little flick like dave said which makes alot of sence because most peoples cars are not set up of one specific style of drifting since i dont think anyone is that hard core … .yet… and i like how samson said a combo of everything because all the techniques are a part of drifting and i personally think if a driver doesnt at least learn how to do one of each, he might not ever be able to save himself on that one turn -

sweet thread so far -

does anyone agree that if you enter 50% faster than you would if you were to weight transfer, that you could e brake and get more angle and slow the car down to normal drift speeds ? im a big fan of crazy fast e brake entrys when they are done right, a little faint and then a quick grab to get the car that extra 15 to 20 % more sideways then release and let the gas pedal do the rest of the steering threw the corner until about 3 1/4 of that turn, and then as your tires finally are starting to grip again, start setting up for the next corner may it be a right, left, or sweeping turn, you may give a quick flick and clutch kick and your off again - fuck so much hand and foot work its awesome -

While I personally have never been to Shannonville. Personally I NEVER clutch kick. Just no need to in the 350z. It has been pretty flawless the way we have it setup just using a bit of swedish flick/weight transfer to get it sliding and stabilized nicely. Sadly for super early entries I find I can’t be all that consistent with just a flick and go so I’m installing a hydraulic ebrake Thursday night to get that extra couple hundred feet for super early entry. (of course then I’m going to want knuckles and control arms).

Man, enough of this thread.

There is only so much you can learn from people typing on here.

Go out and try it!

That’s how I learned, reading and watching videos can only get you so far.

Doing all the said stuff above is another journey of it’s own. MUCH MUCH more challenging.

Early initiation imo is the hardest thing, because your brain says wait, you’re getting ready to turn but the apex isn’t for another 80ft. You’re basically turning into the run-off which is something you have to force yourself to do.

I’ve tried all the forms of initiation, and it all really depends on ur car like briggs said. I personally favor just flicking it in, but handbrake works too and so does cluth kicking. Its all just personal preference and car setup.

Just go out and try them all. Shannonville is super safe track with huge runoffs.

Kinda like entering turn 2 at Mosport Big Track on a bike. Sketch as fuck, knee is on the deck before you even crest teh hill, let alone SEE the corner…

oh yeah, shit, how could i forget clutch kicking.

I do it at least 3x for 1 corner.

too much grip, not enough power!