First ever LS1 on nitrous in 8's

Why doesn’t cubic inch matter? If it was 420 cubic inches would it be as impressive? And for your stereo comparison hit 170 bd with a 10 inch sub instead of a 15 inch sub. That is kinda the comparison here. Putting aftermarket rods and pistons in it don’t add any hp what so ever it just gives the motor longevity. So if no one has ever taken a ls1(346) on nitrous into the 8’s, stock or modified, and it’s been out since 1998 then clearly it’s not that easy.

There is no doubt in my mind you could take a stock bottom end and go that fast with my cam and top end set up. But no it wouldn’t last all season.

Welcome :slight_smile:

Don’t mind meatpawz. He’s a good guy and the one building my Trans Am for me. He’s working on a forged LS motor with a very similar setup up top to yours that is going into an LT body- you just beat him to the punch is all :rofl

420ci is impressive becasue thats an awefull long stroke to get there! lol Play it the other way, why not put a LR4 crank in it and knock it down to 311ci? If ya still stick some baller ass pistons & rods in it to take the abuse, why not just put a bigger jet in the plates to make up for the displacment difference.

thus taking some of the CI argument relivance away.

Its aparant the car has the DL and the setup to plant the power and hit a goal. Thats the impressive part IMO. My point is its just not mind blowing to me just becasue its +/- 50ci or something.

That’s cool, I was just curious as to what he was doing similar to me

Not 346 c.i., I’ll tell you that much :ahh

No need to go bigger cubes, apparently it does matter, lol

He’ll obviously be faster and more impressive, jussayin’…

Mike (KK) is good people too, he just gets his jimmies rustled from time to time lol.

I’m just super excited to see all the good things coming out of Durham lately. It’s been a long time coming with all the nice shit rolling around the area and people are finally starting to take notice. I can’t wait to be done with this Navy thing and move back home where I belong.

Congrats again on the run and can’t wait to see what y’all do with the car this year. Maybe I can get my junk into the low 10’s on 346 c.i. when she’s put back together :slight_smile:

We are actually going turbo this year. We are going to swap all my internals, heads, etc into a bored over 5.3 block so we can really make some power

Mike, I see what you’re saying to a point, but the fact is, NOBODY in 15+ years has been able to dip into the 8’s on a 346 c.i. LS engine before Thadd. Forged or not, that’s getting it done right there. 50 +/- c.i. can make a HUGE difference and you know it! Think about the difference in a 4.8 (327) LS truck motor and a 6.0 (376)… Get my point? It all comes down to the basic principle that an engine is nothing more than an air pump. Larger displacement= more capability of pumping air= more power made, easier. Making the power to run 8’s- and setting up the rest of the supporting mods to go along is no easy feat and well worthy of the recognition he is getting.

Hitman I said that as a joke cause up until last weakend I was doing a large bore 6.2 lt on the jug I was gonna run a set of Brian tooley 243 heads with the edelbrock Vic intake that had internal spray bars and a direct port setup . But I came across a set of livernois stage 3 ls3 heads and a port works ls3 intake that I’m gonna send to nitrous Dave’s and have install the internal spray bars in and direct port setup . My car is a lt chassis as yours with a th400 on a brake 9in rear etc .

Well said yota

^ John, don’t forget it’s still gonna be slow when you’re finished :poke:crackup

It sounds like you are going to have a sweet set up. Only suggestion I have is if you are building a more strip than street car a powerglide is the way to go. I picked up a bunch of time on just a glide and converter swap

K.k no it’s not easy to do a 8.xx on a stock c/I !!! It’s a lot of time all g with trial and error . Replacement rods and pistons will not add power unless compression was added etc . As anyone knows that the real power is in the cam /heads / intake yes u can take any cam and blow nitrous to it but a nitrous designed cam is somewhat intricate as to the timing of the valve movements as I’m sure u are aware of . Hell I could have taken the lowly stock ls out of my donor car and blown a huge shot down it and possibly got a 9 but it would have been its last hoorah even on a dead nuts tune . As some know I spend time picking components for my car but ill have most of my time dialing in my tune that’s y I’m so glad I work where I do as I have however long on dyno I need . Brian tooley is one of the best cam /heads spec guy I have ever worked with and I’m very anxious to see what mine does . Damn car will sound like a baby cam till all u see is a maroon blur blow by ya lol .unf my car won’t be all the impressive without the jug but its a purpose built setup

Keep it up and ill have Caiden re grind your brand new cam for ya !!!

I thought heavily about a glide but I do drive my car , it’s really not a strip car so to say its more of a late night lurker lol

Oooff… please no! :cry: lol

part in bold, is probably why he’s the first and probably why in the last 15 years not many set that goal. (also might have something to do with the new 5.3 block plans) Naturally it’s easier to run a big motor and make good power that’s common sense. With that being said I understand the idea of being the underdog, and that’s what this record is for. Like I said, it’s just not something that blows my mind. I love many aspects of the car from what I can see more than the significance of the Cu" deal. But I guess when the platform has been out for this long, things start to plateau and the focus is on some other odd aspects for breaking records I get that too.

Also like you said, and I agreed’ with right from the get go, power is worthless without the rest of the car being tuned correctly, 289ci or 502ci. That’s what I like to focus on, and have credited him in this thread I think 3 times now. Stuff like that gets my jimmys wet more than an obscure detail like Ci.

yall thinking I am butt hurt or something, I am just having a conversation and shooting the shit. thats all. Props to the car and him, never denied that… but ya cant please everyone every way, right.

dont suggest glides to John. lol he knocks me all the time for going that route on my 94 :rofl