first time bike buyer / rider

its very true…it happens to all riders whether u deserve it or not…

yes thank you…i was in such a hurry to type and help a future rider i got out of hand sry

Kemo I got 2k can you get me back on a bike :slight_smile:

oh and deff take the Ride for Pride course…
Buy used…

and dont ride with jurks that will take you down the 198 at million miles an hour your first week out… (I kid i kid) (ya im in the crowed thats “been down”)

yea i can find u a bike for that price…and im very sry about that nite on the 198…hey we came back for you…

Well I haven’t had a bike in a few years so you handle the riding and I’ll handle the spelling. Man am I getting the short end of that stick. :stuck_out_tongue:

I spent all high school and some of college riding old Japanese bikes. Then 2 summers ago I visited my buddy in Chicago. He lent me his R6 and he rode his buddy’s Ninja 636 and we spent 10 hours riding up into Wisconsin and back. Holy fuck bikes have come a long way! I would have been scared to push it and learn anything if I had started on something like that. I drove out of a turn a little too hard and lightened the front end just enough that the tire must have skipped to put myself into a weave. Holy unforgiving…

ok so its almost warm we can expect a million of these threads again.

didnt it used to be a sticky

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/550064132.html

could get it for $2500

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/579992098.html
http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/568642628.html

a couple more nice deals

Ya Im over it… I learned my lesson I should have been trying to keep up… ya you came back with a truck that was awsome not sure how I would have gotten it home with out… and I dont even have a scar and that sucks chicks dig scars I just have a wicked story and a few pics of the not so appropriate rideing gear…

oh and that brings me to a new point for the Threads Creator… Save enough to have the right gear and wear it… I dont care if your just going around the block to a friends pool party. Flip flops and swimming trunks ARE NOT designed for riding (put it in a back pack and change there or wear it under your gear.
QuicknLow would agree I think lol

ummm…yea dont ever wear shorts cuz u never know when someone is going to cut u off while going the speed limit (30 mph) and next thing u know u are kissing the road

Road rash SUCKS.

Example of NOT proper gear:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/badnewsmini/Picture008.jpg

and why: (a week after the crash)

the green one was mine… man I miss all night riding
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/badnewsmini/07-08-06_0102.jpg

if im riding a sportbike, i wear a full suit. why else ride a sportbike?

im going to be selling my 636 soon, want to pick up a cb750, get some drop bars, and get back to comfort on the streets

sportbikes are great on tracks, but not comfy on streets. because of the suspension geometry, you’re pitched forward (read “balls into tank all the time”). The only relief from that is to get on the throttle so it squats the rear a touch. then you’re always accelerating, which leads to high speeds with such a fast bike, and tickets galore.

sportbikes for the track. but something more comfy for the streets, is my vote

thanks for everything so far im going to buy something like quicknlow posted. now last question as far as miles on a bike whats alot or the amount that i should be worried about ?

o and im going to try in take that corse before i start to ride

I started on a Bandit 600. It was a great starter bike. Fast enough to scare me at times and easy to ride as it was a sport touring bike so you weren’t in a race riding position all the time. Very comfortable to ride long distances and fun. Once I got used to it it definitely was not the fastest bike on the road but it was probably one of the most fun because it was soo versatile. Still looked sporty and handled well yet comfortable to ride.

My suggestion is to go sport touring for the street. I have ridden a bunch of bikes over last summer and this winter (yes winter, i can’t help myself) I prefer something that is comfortable as the type of riding I do is on the street not on a track.

Good luck and use your head when riding. MSFcourse for the win

This math is retarded, how about the rest of the equation.

Scenario 1:

Buy used bike for $2000, ride for 1 year, drop it, learn, enjoy
Sell used bike again in spring for $1900
Buy new bike for $5000, enjoy shiney new ride, and great riding skills.
Sell new bike when you are bored later for $4500

Total =- $600 out of pocket

Scenario 2:
Buy new bike for $5000, ride, drop it, learn (slowly) enjoy (showing off in the parking lot when you aren’t afraid of dropping it).
Sell new bike when you are bored later for $2500 (either as is, or with $2000 in repairs)

Total = $2500 out of pocket

Not to mention that the newer bike will be more expensive to repair.

cliff notes on my other post:

You will learn faster, become a better rider, and enjoy it more learning on an appropriate bike. If you are worried about “looking cool” then please don’t create bike crew threads, you clearly don’t understand. Old starter bikes hold their value like a honda, you will be able to resell it after busting on it for as much as you paid for it. The only thing you are out is the time to learn and do it properly. Plus, a less expensive bike will leave you money for insurance and GEAR (which is awfully expensive when you are just starting).

i sold my old 600 with 35,000 miles on it and it ran great. depending on how long u plan on keeping the bike…i would buy with under 20k…mabye its just me that puts alot of miles on bikes but i have heard of sport bikes that had 65,000 on them no problem.

I started on a beat 93 FZR600 back in ~02
I still have it, its still beat, but it starts every time.

I’m more interested in not becoming a statistic, So I have not found any need to start pushing much anything.

I have not crashed, but It has fallen over. :slight_smile:
The former owner dumped it in a manor fit for ubrf infamy.

Why not get like a v-twin ? TL1000Rs are great bikes and comfy too.

Hurry buy a bike and join BSR.com

who me? tillers are cool, but still too aggressive. i think i’ve got a 72 cb750 i’m into, just gotta sell the ninja first