first time bike buyer / rider

well i had a choice and it was to supercharge my car or buy a bike so i think i am going to go with the bike. now my questions are.

1- Good starter bike for a bigger person like myself?
2- Whats a good price range for someones first bike ?
3- Were is a good place to buy one like private or dealer and what are somethings to look out for when buying a bike?

my first bike i was a brand new 2007 GSX-R 600…i liked leanring on it…i took the MSF Course…price range is all up to you…I have mixed feelings about where to buy…some will tell you buy used and learn incase u drop it…but i also didnt want to have a beat headache on my hands while trying to learn to ride properly

:tup: for MSF ride with pride. Highly recommended.

id buy used. u’ll drop your bike almost guaranteed, whether at speed or not. you wont feel bad about dropping a 2k bike. sportbike or cruiser?

repost: http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19946

lookin sport

DAMN that must have been one sweet ride. Did it have warp drive 6.1 or 6.2?

i hear 2005 gixxer 1000s are great starter bikes.

def take the MSF course, easily worth it.

prob go with a 600 or 750 as a starter cuz you will outgrow anything smaller within your first year. just find one that feels comfortable to you. as for price range, i bought new, my roommate bought used its whatever you can afford really. i dont buy into the whole “everyone drops their first bike” thing. take the msf course and dont be an idiot and the only reason you should drop your bike should be if someone hits you or road condition related (which with experience becomes less of a problem)

:picard:

Buy a twin tubro busa or you will outgrow it

:picard:

edited for joooooooo…600 is plenty for starter bike

I love misinformation in these threads. Head over to sportbikes.net and check their new rider forums. They know what they’re talking about, and if u have questions feel free to ask.

do what you feel is right. too many times, people rely on asking very important questions, to well not the best decision makers. If you got the loot buy somethin nice.

2k for decent starter bike this year.
5k for better looking, faster bike next time. 7k

Decent bike the first time 5k. you can save alot of money buy sticking with 1 plan and making a decision you feel is correct and that you dont regret.

Everyone gives me shit for buying a new bike. But i wanted something flashy, not beat on, never downed, and top quality. so i bought a brand new bike. using common sense and easing it to it, i probably wont down it at all. And i will most likely never grow out of a 08 cbr 600 it will be more than enough.

i started on a “pretty” bike. it had never been down, cost me almost 4k. honestly i felt my learning curve was a bit off because I was worried about dropping it. I babied the bike and I def. feel as though i could have learned faster on a cruiser or a cheaper sportbike. but live and learn i guess.

i know a guy selling one
http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33670&highlight=gsxr
there it is

agree completely… even though others will tell you otherwise…

Uggh. I don’t feel like arguing, so I’ll just add: Click this. Read. Learn.

+1 to the MSF course. Best $300 bucks I ever spent.
As for whether or not to buy a shiny new crotch rocket, it’s your money and your flesh. Read the above so you can at least make an informed decision.

Did you know that sportbikes are a lot harder to ride at low speeds because of their high CG and narrow lock to lock fork travel? :wink:

okay let me start with the bike…no bigger than a 600 but no smaller than a 500…next, NEVER buy a brand new bike for your first…shit happens…next, dont spend more than 3 grand…u can get a real nice bike for that price. and also DO NOT buy a bike from a dealer…u will save at least $500 buying out of classifieds/craigslist/ ebay. i will keep my eye out for u i already know of a few zx6r’s for that price…let me know if u r serious about buying and when…good luck

DONT LISTEN TO ANYONE ELSE… FALLOW MY RULES LIKE A BIBLE…I JUST WANT TO HELP AND U WILL THANK ME LATER!!! (i have owned 6 bikes so i know a little something)

Little anecdote:

I thought it was easy to not go down too. Then one night in my second season I made a little mistake, lowsided, and went home with a bloody elbow and a turn signal in my pocket. A guy who apparently was also a rider was walking with his family nearby and came running over. Once he made sure I was OK he shook my hand and said “There are only two kinds of riders: Those who have gone down and those who are going to go down. Be glad your no longer part of the latter.”

:lol: You’re giving such good advice it’s a shame you had to go and say “fallow”. :stuck_out_tongue: