Fixed the STi transmission. Pics on post 130.

EDIT:
Fixed it
http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showpost.php?p=911985&postcount=130

I’ve had a transmission failure on my sti. It’s not power related, just a stupid problem that snowballed. I’m not going to get into it.

It’s a NON-SERVICEABLE item, meaning warranty (which i am sure they won’t do) always replaces instead of rebuilds. You cannot buy parts in the US for it. You need special connections to get parts from japan. That said: i am looking at the following options.

1. Rebuild by Andrewtech: About $2000-ish (est) I don’t know the extent of the damage, but it’s at least 1000 to tear it down and inspect it.
  2. New Unit from Subaru: About $4000. OEM reliability
  3. PPG STi Dogbox: $7500 Drag setup. 1-4 straight cut gears. Would make the car .4-1.0 seconds faster in the 1/4. No clutching to shift. 4th tops at 140, so no shifting to 5th, either. 5th and 6th stay stock for highway cruising.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=szNIg2lzXCc

I’m torn. I hate spending money to replace stock with stock. I always need to upgrade… Grr…

you know you’re going to get the PPG no matter what, just order it and get it over and done with.

hrmm haven’t even asked subby to cover it? lol

they did give you a new engine didnt they?

^take one look at the car… lol

You’re going to get teh all out anyways, dunno why you ask here… mikeri.

What would I do? Depends on what I want to do with the car. You’re really planning on drag racing this car this much?

what did it run last year? 60’, 1/4 & trap? … to see if the drag trans would be a worthwhile mod.

Srsly.

this one is a little more modified than the other STi…Andrewtech rebuild

I would think it would be worth $4k to remove and reinstall my mods, if all the stock shit is still around…

I only made one pass last year and the car didn’t run right. It was something like 13.1 at 118. haha.

rebuild current one and upgrade that while rebuilding?

They know my car is VERY modified. It’s written in my customer file, which is available to every subie dealership.

My only other choice would be to put my trans in someone else’s car.

And it would have to be an early 06 model.

That’s what the PPG dogbox would be.

It’s 6K for the gears.

That was what i was going to suggest next, do it harbor freight style. Swap trannies with stock STI. He gets new tranny from factory, and throw him a few bucks for the inconvenience. You get his working one. Everyone wins.

putting the car back to stock for this would definitely be a lot of trouble.

Then like you said it would be tough for me to put in an OEM one for 4k and pass on a PPG for 7k. Might as well do it while you have the chance

I’m not certain that they would warranty it, though… They could very easily claim driver error…

reverse lockout collar failed… you can see where i am going with this…

WRX 5 speed. $200
Sell to a ricer who doesn’t know any better.

Profit.

Can you get any cash out of your old unit to make the replacement more attractive? Otherwise, I’d be tempted to go for a rebuild if the guy gets good reviews.

You seem to be making enough power where a PPG Dogbox would make sense. However the question is can you deal with the straight-cut gear whine?

Then again the stock tranny does seem to hold it well enough.

maybe you should stop slamming your car into reverse while spinning lol.

is a beefed up rebuild of your fubar’ed unit an option? or is that more of a domestic thing?

If you have the money to upgrade, you really can’t put a price on peace of mind and reliability.

PPG dogbox.

and slicks.