My luck had been shit lately: '04 sti help

First let me say that it’s just plain unfortunate that I am having these issues. It is clearly no fault of the previous owner, just my luck that this happens on day 3 of ownership :frowning:

So I picked the sti up this past weekend, this one:

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76140

After a fun weekend in Buffalo, I made it back to Albany Sunday night with NO issues what-so-ever. After I got out of work yesterday (monday) I was driving home on the thruway and did a quick pull from 3rd to 5th, not even hitting redline inbetween shifts. After that pull I noticed I was not making more than 15-17 pounds of boost, when it was tuned for, and making 21.

This concerned me a bit so I pulled the car over, shut her down and let her sit. Upon restarting the car a large puff of white smoke billowed from the exhaust as well as the seal where the hot side meets the cold side of the turbo.

Now I know this could be a variety of issues, and i’m pretty sure my turbo will at least need a rebuild from FP, but i’m also beginning to worry about potential engine damage from possible detonation.

The car was given a comp/leakdown this past friday before I purchased the car, and everything came back well within spec. Less than 5% on all cylinders.

I am planning another trip to innovative for this upcoming weekend to have another comp/leakdown performed to rule out possible engine damage, and to take a good look at everything.

Can anyone add any insight to this situation. I have been reading up on the oil feed issues common with subaru’s but i’m not too sure what to make of this.

:(:frowning:

Sounds like you blew the turbo, wouldn’t worry too much about it. After a redo of the tests you will know for sure that the engine is still fine. But I doubt you did any harm if you barely drove it and the turbo died.

I went to race a friend of mine once in his 16g talon when I had my SRT4 and his turbo went, lots of white smoke. Shit happens. That is why I don’t DD something more fun like that, plus I want to keep the cobra in the garage. It’s a lot of work to keep up a high performance car, especially when you are beating on it everyday.

Don’t let it discourage you though. It sucks that it happened 3 days in but its the nature of the game. That STi is sweet and definitely worth it.

Its a solid car and believe me, I know how the game works. It’s unfortunate, but I am handling it all in stride.

My main concern is damage to the motor, but only time will tell. Any further insight would be greatly appreciated.

And yes, I will have a dd. I was just hoping to make it closer to winter before having to buy one, lol.

I guess it’s just time to go bigger and better cough fpred cough. No but seriously most likely just going to rebuild the green for much cheaper… lolll

white, or blueish white smoke?

also, check your vacuum lines to make sure one didn’t come loose, or maybe developed a crack. look over all the piping as well.

looks mainly white but i’ll take a closer look. Vac and all other piping looks good upon visual inspection. It’s not leaking oil but smoking heavily from the hot/cold side seal.

Somehow, some way, this has to be Chino’s fault.

everything is one way or another, i pull all strings.

edit: shitty luck man :tdown:

:frowning:

Damn dude, that sucks.

You shouldn’t have done anything bad to your car.

You lost boost, aka, ran rich if anything.

blown seals

gunna be a shot in the dark, but i forgot to pull the pcv hose back onto my intake when playing with my bov and my car smoked very badly. with the hose back on it was completely smoke free. might be something dumb like that?

ive done no research at all about em, but doesnt it seem like a lot of people are getting fp turbos rebuilt lately?

I was under the impression that FP turbos were notorious for blowing seals?

Looks that way. It should only be a week worth of downtime sending it to be rebuilt at fp. I talked to the tech guy there today and he was a cool dude :tup:

I’m scheduling the comp/leakdown test just for peace of mind, and obviously having it retuned after the rebuilt is put back in.

I’ll tell you what though; the guy at fp had me ALL SORTS OF WORRIED after speaking with him today. He was talking about oil starvation, detonation, etc which has me all sorts of nervous.

Right now I am limping her around to work and whatnot… staying out of boost, and checking the oil constantly. It’s no fun.:ohnoes::ohnoes:

She’ll be back to good in no time… i hope.

This is my first experience with it. I hope you are right.

there is someone in albany that rebuilds turbos, he’s worked absolute miracles on one in particular… Let me know if you want contact info. He’s on shift.

Talk to Steve2k112 or w/e his username is, he’s had experience with FP green turbos I believe

Don’t worry steve2k11whateverthefuckitis.Has blown like 5 fp greens and one bloush.Is sti is still strong.I would go with a different turbo down the road.

Thanks for the re-assurance guys.

Mike, pm his user name on shift or contact info please.