2005 Legacy GT Limited STi Swap Thread

2 weeks ago now i bought an 05 LGT with 180kmi. As it turns out it had a bad compression in cylinder #2. I ended up paying 5300 for the car and the seller was nice enought to help me out a little bit with $500 back, so i basically paid 4800 for it needing an engine. I was able to source an engine from a forester xt with 52kmi on it and picked that up for $2550 shipped.
I was able to get all the service records for the subaru from the dealership it was serviced at (1 owner untill 167kmi) but what concerns me is there are no records of the turbo or clutch being replaced. Good news is all suspension has basically been replaced and the car is super clean underneath from not being a NY car. Clutch and turbo were probably done at a small time shop where costs would be much lower but i’m just not sure until i get them off the car. I’m gonna swap in a new clutch while i do the engine (w wrx flywheel or lwfw), and i won’t know about the turbo until i remove it so i’m just thinking now would be the time for a subtle upgrade. After some reasearch i’ve decided to use the vf48 and do the sti swap. I was able to pick up a basically new vf48 off a 2012 with 6kmi for $600 shipped.

Mod list:

-VF48 2012 STi Turbo
-S/S braided turbo oil line
-Perrin turbo inlet hose
-Sti intake manifold
-Top feed TGVs
-Top feed 565cc injectors
-New OEM timing belt and tensioner
-Custom made wiring harness for injectors and map sensor
-Cobb uncatted up-pipe, heat wrapped
-Cobb turbo heat shield
-STi throttle body
-SAI block of plates
-CNT Catted downpipe
-Perrin short ram intake
-Sti top mount intercooler
-New Exedy clutch kit (disk, pressure plate, bearings)
-New F1 racing lightwheight flywheel
-fresh fluids, new plugs, new belts
-New tires
-APS 50/50 blow off valve
-DW65c fuel pump
-JNA Alternator cover
-Powder coated coolant resi
-Cobb shift knob
-Tuned by TurboTek Ray

Pics of the car when i bought it:
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h135/jacobennis/3533ea9e.jpg

Car is super clean, interior is almost mint. exterior has some small dings in the rear doors which doesn’t bother me. I’m not going to spend any time or money making this car pretty, just going to do the sti swap, tune it and daily drive it.

Got the car tuned by Ray from turbotek and it hauls ass. Estimated 330hp/370tq

Awesome, will be watching this. Good luck

best of luck man, and let me know if you need a hand working on this thing

Nice. You should pick up a 6spd and some Brembos to make it a real STi swap. It would probably be another $1500-$2000depending on how much you can sell the stock stuff for.

i’m gonna keep my eyes open for a 6 speed but they usually go for 2500+

new engine:

perrin 2.4" inlet pipe

Pics of the VF48 comming soon

also got this ss line for AVCS and turbo
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h135/jacobennis/avcs20copy20web.jpg

The STI intake manifold is unique for the STI and I believe the heads and crank are also. I know in stock trim the LGT fuel system is pretty wrung out although there is a little room. The STI injectors are 565cc and they have have a bit of room to play with them.

Yea, stock injectors are dumpy.

Enjoy the car, be careful upgrading with the stock bottom end of the motor.

I have the 565cc Injectors and the xt has same manifold as the Sti (according to my buddy Fred who works at Capitaland)

I prob will go 700-800 injectors though

sweet! def gonna be watching this.

should be a cool build

That no compression really sucks, but hey when your done you know where to come get a nysi :slight_smile:

I’m gonna come see you again this year before i put the car away for the winter, that way i’m all set up for next year. i’ll be adding a stand alone over the winter and a few other things for an extra 100-125whp

Sounds good man

Is that a tube for the sync cord for your iPad that will be in the dash?

ipads are going in the headrests, not dash

Oh now that’s baller