Paging Boxersix: '04 sti turbo issue

I hear you are the man when it comes to rebuilding fp greens, lol.

It looks like the seal on my turbo went the other day. I am in need of a rebuild.

The car is an 04 sti btw…and after a short highway run Monday, I noticed I wasn’t seeing the normal 21-23 psi I usually do. It was more in the range of 16-19. This concerned me a bit so I shut her down briefly in the parking lot, and upon restarting the engine I noticed a substantial puff of white smoke out of the exhaust, and where the hot side meets the cold side of the turbo.

I’m somewhat new to the turbo game, so this issue is a bit over my head. I have a compression/leakdown scheduled for this weekend to ensure my engine is still stout, and it wasn’t something more serious like detonation. Right now I am limping the car to work and whatnot, keeping her out of boost, and checking the oil regularly.

If you can shoot me a pm boxersix, we’ll talk. I’d much rather have things done locally than have to send the damn thing out to the guys at forced performance.

Oh one last non related question: How is Synapse with scoobys, and in general? I’m just moving back to this area and have never dealt with these guys. I’ve always dealt with Innovative Tuning out in Buffalo.

Tell me how you really feel!

/rambling:thumbup

Subarus are always in at synapse, they know what they’re doing there. Also dont rebuild the turbo just go bigger

Word.

And yes, I thought about going bigger for a LONG minute… but I really enjoy the power curve on the fp green. It’s drive-able, not too laggy, and 330/365 on a 4wd mustang dyno is plenty fun for now!

I’m going to give Morgan at Synapse a call tomorrow.

:sHa_hehe::sHa_hehe::sHa_hehe::sHa_hehe:

FP black that ho

Are you laughing with me or at me? answer carefully, i’m a convicted E-THUG.
:frowning:

I’m going to assume at you, he owns an Evo 9… we all know, Evo > STI & STI’s conduct fire. :lol

Ahhh, sti hate. It’s cool I can completely appreciate both, and I almost picked up a IX before I went the sti route.

Let me ask you this though, i’ve been hearing about the sti+ fire story. Someone elaborate for me, I am in the dark on this one…

both lol

haha, yea

sti’s are okay. only one i’d ever get is like an 07 limited with no wing, grey in color. the less evo9’s the better lol

travis story is liek dis.

he was racing sssmokinnnssss up to 150 mph BOMBS few times and it got so hot the powersteering lines got so hot and metlded and set everything on fire.

soooo, heat wrap your PS lines plz.

pics of sti!

From what I hear Synapse is good with subarus. Morgan knows his stuff and I have nothing bad to say about them what so ever. I am unfortunately going to be very tied up this season into spring with some long term projects and there after will be 100% into chassis production for the kit cars.

White smoke puff this time of year is not uncommon with temperature differentiation, however substintial sustained white smoke would be cause for concern. Likely a head gasket, which again Synapse would definitely take care of you. White smoke coming from turbocharger itself is odd unless a coolant leak in the vicinity is getting onto the housings. Collant flows through the CHRA and wouldn’t end up in the housings without a breach in the casting. Smoke coming from a leak in the hot side somewhere would be more likely, in which case it’s likely to be the same smoke emulating from the tailpipe.

Online diag is obviously speculative, so best be would be to head to your shop of choice to have a look.

As far as the turbocharger goes, if you’d like me to inspect and/or rebuild it that can be done. I’d prefer if you could have it removed and dropped off at the machine shop. I’m going to be very very busy here and really won’t have the time to remove it from the car myself.

So to sum it up, give Morgan an shout and I’m sure he can give it a look over and if need be have them drop/ship the turbocharger to the machine shop(hunts) or I could pick up from there if need be.

It’s only a brief puff upon start-up, if any at all. I’m leaning towards bad turbo seal from what people have been throwing my way, but i’ll definitely have Morgan take a look at it since he is local. :thumbup

I will see what he say’s and if need be have him drop the turbo, and i’ll bring it over. JW, but how quickly do you think you get her done if dropped off?

Breif puff from tailpipe, or off turbocharger?

Well have the comp/LD diags run and get those numbers, popping the DP and inlets off will show something towards CHRA condition. Pressure testing the cooling system for leak would be a good idea as well. If you need me to look at the spool just give me a shout.

Typical rebuild doesn’t take me but mere hours to diss/clean/inspect/assemble/balance, as long as the turbocharger doesn’t require major components(IE: turbine or comp wheel, etc). Usually just takes me a couple days to free up the time to actually do it, especially this time of year.

All these scoobs popping up now. I need to free up some time to actually get my box of scoob parts put back together on the car and get the bish running :ponder

WHEN it puffs, both.

Looks good in white! Why the Rotas over the BBS’s?

that car looks REALLY familiar.

Bbs’ took a curb at an autoX event with a previous owner. He put these on after. However, i’ve got my eye on some oem gold bbs’ from a guy in ROC… these rota’s will most likely be for the winter tires.

Nice! I like the way the BBSs look on STis a lot, plus white+gold is always a good combo.

How so?

I think I saw the car for sale on a couple other forums I’m on actually…is that where you got it, VA?

Nope, it was originally a VA car then made it’s way to Buffalo in '06. I know both previous owners in Buffalo and i’m pretty familiar with the history of the car.