Thinking about getting a sti

well i posted almost everything up for sale and if all goes well, i want to put a down payment on a 05 sti. just wondering if anyone has a second opinion on it, seen any good deals or where i should be looking. possibly have a few local sti member give in there thoughts on it ( or even convince me with a test drive).
im more looking for info on what to look for, common problems, pro and cons from those who experience it and not just rumors.

AN*

checkout buffaloscooby.

id give you a test drive, but my cars probably done for the year. that being said get a compression/leakdown test, they are pretty soild. drive it and see how it feels

Do it! You need to move up in life man no more shitty cars.

Iv drivin many while doin valet and there very tight feeling cars and I hard they are super reliable.

Subaru paint is… well, horribly really. Keep an eye out for swirls, scratches, chips, oxidation, or even rust. Most issues can be fixed easily with a good detail, but it’s something to look out for. Some interior pieces aren’t top notch either, and might not wear well. The stock endlinks were a weakpoint in my car as well. But again an easy fix that you’ll probably want to do anyway.

They are cars that encourage spirited driving, so check for the common wear items you would in any performance car. Excessive tire or brake wear. Drive it if you can to check for clutch slip or stink, make sure it shifts smooth.

If the car has over 30k on it, make sure the major services were done. On the topic of service, some proof of it would be nice. Barring that, i’d have it looked over by a shop you trust, closely.

So, pretty basic stuff that you’d look into on most any car you were buying. Truth be told, my experience has taught me that they are very tough cars, so there isn’t anything glaring to be aware of, that I know.

Also, my car is never done for the year, so if you’re on the fence, and you’d like to take a spin in a relatively stock 04, complete with strut clunk, I could oblige.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-general/89922-used-sti-buyers-guide.html

Isn’t an only supposed to be used when before a vowel??

not to nitpick about grammar…

Way OT, but its an abbreviation, you have to listen to the sound of the letter “ess” vs. “bee” —> “an STI” vs. “a bfg”. Thanks to Italian for teaching me the specifics.

Is that a serious fucking question?

Anyways…get AN STi…they’re great cars…

Do it!

05 ftw

Maybe a little dated now, but if I had to get out of the S14 then I’d replace it with a well sorted GC8. Late version 1 in the sti package. Cranking out 275 BHP in stock form. With simple boost up mods, she’d be well over 300.

I’d go look at an evo personally,

But I’m just here to encourage you to buy a sports car- GO!

I have an unmarried cobb accessport from my sold '05 sti with stage2 maps on it if you pick up that car. Shoot me a PM if your interested.

just got rid of mine yesterday. Northtown may have an 05 for sale within days.

Infamous ringland crack :roll2:, shitty paint, oem strut clunk, and somewhat cheap interior.

On the plus side they are torquey awd sport cars that are a ton of fun all year round. If you can make it to Albany i’ll take you for a spin in a built '04… it’s a shit ton of fun.

what did it end up costing you total???

looks like you missed out on 2 good deals from agy2k2

Grand total was pricey but it’s all good. Fully rebuilt engine, resurfaced/rebuilt heads, brand new subie short block with forged cp pistons, new wp, tb, tb tensioner, gaskets, etc. All I need now is to get her back on the dyno with Mike at innovative to tweak a few things.

And yeah, I definitely missed out on the sti AND evo… but when buying a car that’s always how it goes. It always seems like I find the best deals right after I buy one.

Getting back to the OP’s q, personally after my experience I have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth owning my first Scooby. I sit in the car everyday and ask myself “whats going to break today?” However, given some time to build trust with her, i’m sure my viewpoint may change. It’s a modified car, this shit happens, but DAMN is she a shit ton of fun. I can’t wait for the first snowfall for some dorifto actionaee.

I looked around for quite a while before I got my 04 about a year ago.

I was actually looking at evos first, but I looked at so many evos and then stis that were beat to death, I opened myself up to just about any sti or evo that was clean and never modded.

That’s how I got the 2004. It wasn’t my first prererence but I think I chose a good one. It’s been a year and it’s still the exact same as the day I bought it so can’t complain but it it’s a gamble, I didn’t get one mod which would have been nice, and it was more than I planned to pay. I hurts a little when I see a nicer/newer one for sale for the price I paid. You take the chance; it could be broken down the next week. There’s just no way to tell.