Get ready for red light cameras in Buffalo

Its a fine, it goes against the vehicle registration. You don’t beat them. No one has to show up in court. Photo of the plate = owner gets a fine. It doesn’t matter who is driving.

It isn’t. The camera systems are designed to infer the difference between a red and a green arrow, in addition the sequence of photos goes through the intersection, not around corners, you wouldn’t get a full sequence, clearly showing that you were turning right, not blowing the light. :touchy:

i love how nobody mentions that the red light cameras actually make intersections MORE dangerous because so many people lock up their brakes to avoid the lights that there are MANY more rear end collisions…

* A 2008 University of South Florida report found:
  "Comprehensive studies conclude cameras actually increase crashes and injuries, providing a safety argument not to install them.... public policy should avoid conflicts of interest that enhance revenues for government and private interests at the risk of public safety."
  Read a summary
  PDF Version Full copy, 80k pdf

* A 2007 Virginia Department of Transportation study found:
  "The cameras were associated with an increase in total crashes... The aggregate EB results suggested that this increase was 29%... The cameras were associated with an increase in the frequency of injury crashes... The aggregate EB results suggested an 18% increase, although the point estimates for individual jurisdictions were substantially higher (59%, 79%, or 89% increases) or lower (6% increase or a 5% decrease)."
  Read a summary
  PDF Version Full copy, 1mb pdf

* A 2006 Winnipeg, Canada city audit found:
  "The graph shows an increase of 58% in the number of traffic collisions from 2003 to 2004.... Contrary to long-term expectations, the chart shows an increase in claims at each level of damage with the largest percentage increase appearing at the highest dollar value."
  Read a summary
  PDF Version Full copy, 541k pdf

* A 2005 Virginia DOT study found:
  "The cameras are correlated with an increase in total crashes of 8% to 17%."
  Read a summary
  PDF Version Full copy, 1.7mb pdf

* In 2005, The Washington Post found:
  "The analysis shows that the number of crashes at locations with cameras more than doubled, from 365 collisions in 1998 to 755 last year. Injury and fatal crashes climbed 81 percent, from 144 such wrecks to 262. Broadside crashes, also known as right-angle or T-bone collisions, rose 30 percent, from 81 to 106 during that time frame."
  Read a summary
  Full article on the Post website

* A 2004 North Carolina A&T University study found:
  "Our findings are more pessimistic, finding no change in angle accidents and large increases in rear-end crashes and many other types of crashes relative to other intersections."
  Read a summary
  PDF Version Full copy, 1.7mb pdf

* A 2003 Ontario Ministry of Transportation study found:
  "Compared to the average number of reported collisions occurring in the before period, the average yearly number of reported collisions increased 15.1 per cent in the after period."
  Read a summary
  PDF Version Full copy, 1.5mb pdf

* A 1995 Australian Road Research Board study found:
  "The results of this study suggest that the installation of the RLC at these sites did not provide any reduction in accidents, rather there has been increases in rear end and adjacent approaches accidents on a before and after basis and also by comparison with the changes in accidents at intersection signals."
  Read a summary
  PDF Version Full copy, 2.4mb pdf

* A 1995 Monash University (Australia) study found:
  "a simple correlation analysis was undertaken for red light running data in the current study and revealed no significant relationship between the frequency of crashes at RLC and non-RLC sites and differences in red light running behaviour."
  Read a summary

Related Reports and Studies

The importance of the yellow warning signal time in reducing the instances of red light running is found in the following reports:

* A 2004 Texas Transportation Institute study found:
  "An increase in yellow duration of 1.0 seconds is associated with a [crash frequency] of about 0.6, which corresponds to a 40 percent reduction in crashes."
  Read a summary
  PDF Version Full copy, 1.5mb pdf

* A 2001 report by the Majority Leader of the U.S. House of Representatives found:
  "The changes in the yellow signal timing regulations have resulted in the inadequate yellow times. And these inadequate yellow times are the likely cause of almost 80 percent of red light entries."
  Full version with summary

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/03/AR2005100301844.html

http://www.motorists.org/photoenforce/home/intersection-collisions-increase/

hmmm… time to engineer a device that will hide the plate from said cameras.

what if it’s too dangerous to stop? There has been many times when I’ve been forced to run a recently changed red light. Cruising a 40-50 mph… goes from yellow to red quicker than anticipated. Now you have the option of locking the brakes up, only to end up in the middle of the intersection, or give it a little throttle and try to get through it before it turns green on the cross street.

Another reason to stay the fuck out of the city. If your car isn’t getting vandalized, broken into, hit/run, or ticketed for parking, you will get a red light ticket. For those who say they don’t run reds- BS, especially when they shorten the yellow, or you want to avoid being slammed by the SUV driver behind you who probably won’t have insurance.

wonderful, i can see all these idiots slamming on their brakes and causing accidents already…

You think this is bad?

Wait till they get the tinted out SUVs that shoot radar and you get the ticket in the mail :tup:

Is it true they already have something like this on Union in Cheektowaga? I could have sworn I heard a “picture” sound when I ran a red light. Nothing in the mail though…

lol @ heard a picture sound…you would not hear it

LOL WUT?

I think they already have license plate covers that hide your plate at certain angles.

I was a little :burnin: at the time but regardless, I heard it, fuck you all, you weren’t there. haha

Viper, email those studies to every news station and see what they have to say.

These things suck.

That’s your best hope for keeping thbem out of Buffalo.

I love how you didn’t read, because it was mentioned :io:

i read the top, and post… i backed my statement up with reports…

William Mattar is salivating right now.

This really does suck, as I live in the city and run reds all the time. There is no rhyme or reason why they change when they do, and there is absolutely no flow to the traffic. Some lights stay yellow longer than others, sometimes you just get frustrated at hitting a red at every single block.

Good thing I got the bicycle tuned up…its going to be the only way to get around now.

nice, my brother just bought a radar detector and it came with a can of reflective license plate spray…i’m spraying it on now.

Maybe fighting them would be the best way to keep them out/get rid of them.

They spend all this money and budget the extra revenue, but if word gets out (ie news(paper) article or something) how easy it is to get it thrown out, the extra money is not there and they are f’ed.

I think the best way to try and change their mind, is to instead of emailing them articles of how ineffective the cameras are at making the roads safer, email them all the sites and articles of how easy it is to get out of them.

FYI the only thing that works for redlight cameras so they cant see your plate is the 3M monitor blockers that only allow you to see it frmo straight on.

Nothing else works, via Mythbusters.