Get ready for red light cameras in Buffalo

License plate frame with IR LEDs around the edge of it?

Your plate would show up as a giant blur to the camera + invisible to the naked eye.

a good defense against this bs is to call the mayor and all the elected politicians involved and tell them that you wont vote for them if they push for this. for every single voter that calls and says they wont vote for them if they (fill in the blank) = multiple voters that wont vote for them but dont say anything and they know this. but you have to get alot of folks and friends to call.

or just rig up a plate hider. :slight_smile:

Brian

shit!

About the only thing I can think of that would work, and not be 100% obvious when viewed normally.

I just noticed this thread now, but a week ago I saw what I thought was a red light camera on Elmwood right on the south side of the overpass over the 198. If I drive by there again I’ll take a closer look.

Also, guys. Expect a TON of front plate tickets now, too.

those are just security cameras.

It would be in direct violation of state law to be using it for red light tickets right now. The only place it’s currently allowed is NYC.

And yeah, Newman’s right about the front plate tickets. Buffalo will start cracking down big time on front plates. Between this and their new ALPR (automatic license plate readers) they’re going to want plates on properly.

You can’t fight them :picard:

Yep. The laptop screens you can put on your plates and work great. Friend uses them in Canada.

Does this actually work? How would an IR signal show up on a non IR camera?

Is it me or are cops just getting lazier and lazier? Automatic license plate readers… Red light camera… Pretty soon they are going to have automatic speed traps.

It doesn’t have to do with lazier, it has to do with more effective. There are plenty of benefits from automatic license plate reads and other technologies designed to make life “easier” for officers. Quite frankly, I pay my registration and when I break the law by running red-lights or not having proper tags, then I know I deserve a ticket, I’m not some flaming douche-hole that thinks I deserve some special dispensation because in my opinion, this section of the law shouldn’t apply to me. You don’t want tickets? Don’t do illegal things.

Look, I’m all for ALPR. It’s a great system that has proven itself in the field as a great tool for getting people with suspended licenses, expired registrations and expired inspections off the road. It does it entirely without impacting traffic flows or driver behavior, and leaves the ultimate decision up to a human.

Red light cameras on the other hand have been proven to be nothing but revenue generators that actually increase crashes because of the way drivers overreact to red lights. They are entirely automated with nothing done at the time of the violation and no officer discretion. Like for example when the cop see you make a left just as a light turns red and does nothing because he knows it’s the only way to turn left at a busy intersection with no green arrow. The red light camera expects you to sit there even if it takes 5 cycles of the light to find a gap in traffic and make the left.

And for those of you claiming it will be easy to fight you obviously don’t know how they work. Claiming you weren’t driving does nothing because it’s a fine based ticket with no points. It applies to the car, not the driver, just like a parking ticket would. Knowing this, explain how you’re going to fight something like this when it shows up in the mail:

http://www.photocop.com/images/trafcam.jpg

There’s the picture of your car, in the intersection with the light clearly red, and a clear shot of your plate. Good luck with that in court.

I get what you are saying and I don’t mind paying tickets. I drove with an expired inspection because I never found time to get a new one and got tickets and paid. If I drive like an ass and get stopped, I don’t bitch. I have my state police connections so I get out of a lot but I just don’t my real question comes down to saftey. When they rely more and more on technology, there is less and less real patrols around the city. I worry that this technology might take away from the actual benefit of patrols they have.

^ Well, ALPR is mounted to a police cruiser, so for it to work the car has to be out patrolling.

Good point about red light cameras though. And lets not forget, if some drunk is out there blowing red lights one after another a red light camera does nothing to make you safer since no one is stopping him.

^HA you can even see the brake patches from somebody else who already tried slamming on their brakes through the middle of an intersection

i bet you still cant get a buffalo bill or someone else on a pro team a ticket.

I keep disliking buffalo and USA policies and laws more and more everyday it seems.

We hardly ever take steps in the right direction.

I heard Cuba is nice move there…

No one ever said RLCs were adding safety.

You were arguing against increased safety and added ALPR, which doesn’t make sense. Your point of cops being lazier was relatively invalid.

Are Buffalo’s ALPR cars marked or are they unmarked? I was in Connecticut and Chicago for a while and the ones I saw there were on unmarked cars.