Get ready for red light cameras in Buffalo

I think the government should watch every breath you take.
If you don’t do anything wrong you have nothing to worry about.
So what’s the problem?

I’m not sure because I’m rarely in Buffalo. Start looking for the cameras on the car.

A nice ALPR demo:

EVERY law takes away a bit of your freedom.
When it is a little at a time it doesn’t seem bad BUT…

I had a laugh and a concern. One was more of a laugh at how lazy we are making it to be cops.

My argument/concern is that if buffalo is going to use these RLCs as a way to cut costs and take patrols off the street.

How do you support that claim? There are typically only a few RLCs in the entire city. They won’t be at every corner or even most. Only bad intersections. Seems more like supplementing patrols, not taking them off the street? Any info to back your claim?

Its not a claim…its a question and a concern. I did not say “OMG THEY ARE TAKING AWAY PATROLS!” Maybe you should reread the post before you jump all over my shit.

MIGHT != IS

Its more of a concern that this city might cut out cops staking out on intersections where these cameras are. RLCs dont stop drunk drivers. Someone driving drunk through an intersection with a red light camera only gets a ticket in the mail. Will these RLCs not have a cop sit at intersections as much and miss out on the DWIs they give out because a person didn’t signal or stop at a red light?

Umm, how about the post that I was quoting?

My argument/concern is that if buffalo is going to use these RLCs as a way to cut costs and take patrols off the street.

IS = IS :bigclap:

You are making broad overgeralizations, your posts make it sound as if they plane to place RLCs at the majority of intersections. It will be targeted to the high volume intersections where you get the high quantity of douchebags blowing redlights.

You are just using pathetic scare tactics to draw the conclusion that “RLCs will mean the police aren’t out looking for drunk drivers”. Be serious.

The negative is that they will result in more slamming of brakes and rear endings.

My concern or for your understanding, question, is that are these cameras going to result in less patrols at red lights where they are installed or possibly less patrols in general?

Do you know how many they are installing? Do you know where they are going to be? What areas they are focusing on? Where is any proof to validate your claim on this?

Again, my concern is that are RLCs going to reduce the police who sit in common areas as they are now going to rely on the cameras to do their work?

Yes, it was in the news articles in the first post that you decided to skip :picard:

“It’s no different than having a police officer sitting at a corner,” Penksa argued.

The basis of my concern. A physical cop sitting there versus a camera is a HUGE difference.

place cameras at 50 high-volume intersections

Again… where? Are they going to reduce patrols at these intersections and areas since they have cameras now?

The latest figures show that 30 percent of traffic and pedestrian accidents happen at intersections with signal lights.

How is a camera taking a picture of a red light runner going to help this? Of this 30% of accidents, how many of these are related to people running the red light?

Lastly, they keep saying 3 million dollars in revenue… how did they get this number? Are they counting cars go through and saying “well if we wrote them a ticket, we could make some money”?

:picard:

We already have these in Atlanta and i already got a $70 ticket in the mail :tdown: I just wish this would enforce buffalo police to stop running lights, i cant stand when im next to a buffalo cop waiting at a light and he just runs it

http://www.buffalonews.com/149/story/587467.html
:picard: :fu:

Two more months…

One city in Texas used these cameras against their officers too which I thought was impressive.

Officers caught running lights without valid reason or responding to a call actually were charged fees.

I got out just in time. lol.

Question… lets say I’m riding paulos bike with a helmet on and I run all these lights, can he contest that he wasnt on the bike? how could they prove it?

I can’t wait for all of the new rear-end collision accidents when people slam on their brakes to avoid collisions in winter, or to avoid accidentally going through that yellow light!

Red light cameras + icey conditions = $$$$ + death. “Oh shit! I better stop!!!” Slams brakes -> skids through intersection causing 4 car collision a month later -> $75 red light ticket in the mail :fu:

So they can tell if you ran a redlight? They should put a camera in every car so they can catch every little thing you do wrong and send you a bill.

You can almost guarantee they’ll shorten the yellow too…