Good winter tires?

Bottom line is you can either get tires that are “acceptable” at all conditions (all seasons) or you can get a dedicated set that are specifically made for the conditions.
If you have the money, get a dedicated winter set.

I had all seasons on my beater… Good years on the front, douglas x-trac on the rear, lmao. I drove to and from saratoga all winter long with no issues whatsoever. In ice storms / snow storms, and never had one issue at all…

my all seasons were atrocious on the SER. and they were goodyears not some dumpy PJB pepboyz stylez

Its all in the driver man. I went off the road once, and that was in my hatch… I slid down this huge embankment… I also had my falken azenis on there. I was trying to push my luck a little too far… shoulda just stopped being lazy and registered the winter beater. lol

i couldnt go up any incline with the all seasons when it was really cold or when there was any accumulation of snow/ice on the ground. i had to turn around a few times in the middle of the rd on veeder rd because even with a “running start” i couldnt get up. and i wasn’t going WOT banging limiter in 4th gear going 15MPH i was in 2nd or 3rd giving it as little juice as possible. the tires sucked. and they were loud, and they sucked in the summer and in the rain. i hate all seasons.

wtf tires were those? my douglas x-trac were beasts, lol.

225/45/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 No-Seasons . brand new. had <1,000 miles of easy driving on them before winter hit.

I dunno but last year I almost got hit because my car wouldnt stop and went straight through a intersection, thank god there was no traffic. Uphill? forget it I spin tires and go no where, my driveway has a small incline and with the mich. all seasons I had my car did not make it up my driveway lol, I am getting the beefiest winter tire I can buy lol. Im looking to spend around $150-$160 per tire.

Can’t go wrong with the Nokian’s or Bridgestones.

This is my philosophy, on a (sport oriented) car anyway. \

A 4x4 vehicle can get away with having four all seasons for on road use in the winter. My Dad’s Trailblazer has BFG all seasons and the truck is great when driving in the snow.

oh for sure, I’m relating that comment to a sports car.

not a, say, Geo Storm or something.

But yeah, I usually roll all seasons on my beaters with no issue, but they’re usually light, FWD, japanese sedans. Only got stuck a few times in the last couple years.

hankook ipike w409’s… what is the desired tire size and ill even link you to them!!

better yet, heres the link http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/hankook/product/byName.do?tmn=Winter+iPike+W409&typ=Passenger%2FPerformance

I’ve tried Blizzaks, Alpin PA2s, and some el cheapo Cooper winter joints.

Blizzaks are basically mounted on in our Odyssey (FWD powaaaah) all year round because I’m lazy like that. They aren’t that noisy even in the dry, have a good amount of grip (not that I test the limits much), and seem to be wearing ok. In the snow, we have never been stuck.

Have Blizzaks for my 325i but they were only on for a couple of months where we didn’t get snow so I can’t tell you much about RWD snow performance.

Had 245/40R18 PA2s on an AWD vehicle (Evolution). Quiet in the dry with decent amount of dry grip. Didn’t feel sloppy. Great in the winter, considering the low profile. I never got stuck with this car.

Cooper winter joints on RWD vehicle (Mazda Miata)- I dunno which set I had, all I know is I bought them off an Indian dude who was ditching the whole set on Craigslist for $30 like a couple years back. I walked into his house and he was fixing a vacuum cleaner like with his bare hands. Mad genius.

Back to the tires- loud as hell in the dry. I felt like I had a bad wheel bearing the noise was bad. Installed a better radio as a temporary countermeasure, and that was solved.

Surprising amount of grip in the winter. I survived two upstate winters with the little car, and never got stuck even on a couple 8-10 inch days. I had to rock myself out of some low spots, but when I got going I could push snow from the bumper pretty nice. Short wheelbase made turns interesting and downshifting would sometimes cause the rears to randomly break loose- the only sensation of power I ever had in the car. Ha.

they dont have my tire size :frowning: I have 215 45R 17’s

they do have a 225 45r 17, is that a skinnier tire? if so arnt skinnier tires better in the snow?

No 225 is wider (225 is width in mm). You may want to try a 205/50R17 for winter.

Tire Rack has the Blizzak WS-60s in your size for $133 per tire, within your budget.

Continental Extreme Winter Contacts are $114, same size.

General Altimax Arctics are $91 each. Probably worth paying more for the Blizzaks, but I think any of these would be a significant improvement over an all season tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?search=true&performance=W&width=205%2F&ratio=50&diameter=17&x=21&y=16

Last winter the bald Yokohama’s on my Elantra did great in the snow and when I traded the car in back in February the fronts were beyond the wear bars. We got alot of snow and I was on the road just after 4 am and most of the time the roads werent plowed very well.

i fail to see the relevance of your post, to this thread.

on topic. Nokian Hakkapeliitas. get the 5’s if you want studded, RSi’s if you want studless

back when they 2’s were out i had those. awesome tires.

my winter setup now is some winterforce joints, studded

and Dunlop Graspic’s… i paid under 200$ for the wheels/tires and they are all good tires, no reason not to use them. when they are shot, Hakks for sure.

Well I was just saying that snows arent necessary.

thanks paul. clearly there are intelligent people here who are completely disregarding your posts.