Winter tires

So I just got my license and I am getting my dads volvo v90. The only problem is that it is rwd and I don’t know what tires to buy for the winter, he lives in North Carolina so he doesn’t really need to worry about it. But help would be greatly appreciated.

There is a good thread going on about winter tires from one of our forum sponsors. Local and great guys to deal with. Feel free to take a look. http://www.shift518.com/showthread.php?t=26790

Personally I get whatever the cheapest I can get my hands on, but 95% of my driving is city. May be other members will have more input. :slight_smile:

Blizzak WS-60 for the last several years with no complaints. If I were you I’d stud those bad boys in the rear to give yourself every last fighting chance.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta. There is really no comparison IMO.

Fanboi. :lmao

Lol. And I have WS-60’s on my Jetta. Couldn’t beat the price.

Blizzaks are legit. No need for studs if you drive smart.

Blizzaks or Winterforce. I have had good luck with both.

whenever I drove a rwd vehicle in the winter (2wd trucks) I just used a cheap set of all season tires. I went thru 3 winters on Pep Boys tires on my S10 and that included highway driving to college everyday. I just put some weight over the rear axle. You could put sandbags in the trunk of the car for weight.

:thumb

Ive been using studded General Altimax arctics for the last few years coming from blizzaks. Performance is comparable, price is lower, and treadlife seems longer.

Winterforce ftw. Outdid the blizzaks i had by far.

i had dunlop graspic ds-2’s on my 89 mr2 for winter and the thing never got stuck, even when i threw it up on a snowbank. they will be going on my miata this winter.

Used General Altimax Artice (no studs) that last two years on the Corolla, never had any issues or got stuck and they were very cheap, this year getting some Firestone Winterforces for the Subaru though! My wife used them on her Suby the last two years and they are great.

Blizzaks/Nokians or bust. All I ever used, never had problems.

People have said a lot of good things about the Winterforce from Firestone - Not to mention they’re the cheapest of the bunch with great performance.

Blizzaks are rated the highest amongst snow tires and are fantastic on my wife’s FWD Acorn and better than an all season on my RWD 323i.

The Nokians get a similar review to the Blizzaks - Both top of the line snows with similar ratings

The Generals are something I’ll be trying this year because they rate comparatively high to the Blizzaks.

Do not know anything about the Dunlops however, but they rate right up there with the Blizzaks from what I can gather.

go with slicks, there the best for snow…lol

I run general Altimax Arctics on the accord in the winter. Makes my FWD, open diff, no ABS, traction control, or stability control sedan an absolute beast in the snow.

I’ve driven it through snow that was over the headlights and it didn’t get stuck. I’ve never gotten it stuck. My friend’s lifted pickup on 33’s got stuck that night.

The big thing about real winter tires isn’t the “not getting stuck” though. Its getting to drive normally in severe weather. The big storm we had last winter (early january I think), I drove to my friend’s apartment in latham from niskayuna. Traffic was going under 20mph on 7, and I was wondering why since I had been going 40-ish totally secure and comfortable until I came up on a car. We had to take my friend’s maxima (which has a limited slip and abs but is on all-seasons) out later that night, and could barely keep it in a lane at anything over 20. I used to have all-seasons, I thought they were good. You just can’t understand the difference until you see it for yourself.

Can’t wait to drive the Subaru with Winterforces on it…AWD + Snow Tires = ALOTOFFUN.

I put winterforce on the wife’s car. Very happy with the performance and they are cheap.