GTIR turbo install

I got a t28 gtir turbo, apparently I’m hearing it needs to be clocked to fit properly on the s14. I guess that’s common, but i also read something about how the wastegate actuator placement is different and difficult to make work on a RWD SR. Because you have to cock the turbo differently the actuator doesn’t fit right. Something like i need to either buy an adjustable actuator or make one.

What does that mean? I’m lost, the clocking I’ve heard of but not the second part.

Thanks

Yes after you clock the turbo the wastegate actuator will not line up properly. What I did was simply cut the mount “which attaches the wastegate to the turbo” and then re-welded it once I had it lined up “proper angle etc”.

Its not hard to do… and once you clock the turbo and attempt to line up the wastegate you should be able to figure it out.

arite cool, i think i can visually picture what your talking about. I’m going to be installing it over the next month or so, if i need some more input ill definitely pm you. Thanks

How are liking the turbo? i heard some good things about it

To elaborate a bit further your more or less cutting the bracket a little bit past the 2 holes “which bolt to the turbo”. Then once that is cut you line up the rest of the bracket “which is attached to the actuator” up with the piece attached to the turbo in order to determine how it has to sit so you can hook up to the wastegate flap. Then once you have the angle/spot you tac weld it in place. Remove it and then continue to weld it etc so its solid. You’ll also have to bend and tweak the Oil/Coolant lines slightly since the turbo is so much larger “unless you have braided s/s lines”.

Performance wise, I like it. Much better then the stocker while being bigger then a S14/S15 T28. I also prefer the fact that its a Journal Bearing vs Ball Bearing “like the S14/S15 ones” since they can be rebuilt for next to nothing in comparison. I’m running 9psi and I get full boost by 3000rpm but come 3500rpm it really starts to rock.

damn i that sounds real good man. I just have to get over this hurdle first then i can experience it. :slight_smile:

Congrats on the turbo, its a good choice.

I plan on running it with a KA for even quicker spool and a stronger low end. I am willing to sacrifice top end, as this is not a track car, but more a fun daily driver. :slight_smile:

honestly i didnt even know it was a gtir, i just though it was a t28 of a s14 or something, i looked into it on ka-t and found out the true identity :). Being my first turbo install, this should be interesting.

the turbo inlet may also pose problems,

Mine (and jedi’s) were cut, rotated, then rewelded

because the stock was pointed either at the motor or strut tower (IIRC)…

just a heads up, you’ll understand when you get there

Yea I forgot about that.

I also had to cut and re-weld my outlet going to the hotpipe because I didn’t clock the turbo quite enough so rather then going straight up it went up on a angle toward the MC some what.