HELP Wheel/Tire Spec Pro's or whatever (Jclark..?)

Looking for some help choosing the right tires for some wheels I ‘might’ be getting.

Please consider the following :

(1) Looking for an aggressive stance yet tolerable for daily driving (~40miles/day)
(2) Rolling fenders can/will be done if necessary
(3) Capeable/Perform well at high speeds/cornering/exit ramps nothing sloppy
(4) nothing too low-pro looking for beefy but not stupid, you know…

*The wheels specs are pretty set as far as what im looking for. Please dont tell me to 'go with 17"'s unless you really feel you can convince me. *

Wheel Specs :

18 x 9.5 +35

–Thanks guys

That’s a big wheel. Whats the stock wheel size and offset? What kind of car? Your username looks familiar…

Easiest way to do it is to mount the wheels and measure the gap from the side of the wheel to the side of the fender. The necessary clearance is just a matter of camber and sometimes caster if your car has a ton.

You need to make sure your wheel bolts or studs are long enough for spacers. The only disadvantage is extra wear on your wheel bearings (wheel farther away = increased leverage = increased force on the bearing). Nothing crazy, just sooner than average.

Unsprung weight saving. Get the lightest you can afford, the smallest that clears the caliper and widest you can fit into the wheel well without rubbing.

P.S. Not a wheel pro, just opinion.

if i remember correctly he’s running a 2005 wrx. 18x9.5 is a wide ass rim on a scoob unless hes got bolt on over fenders or a serious widebody, especially for the rear. 17x8.5 is a much better choice as far as unsprung weight and you can still wrap a 255/40/17 tire around them… maybe even a 265 if you can find a set in that size that will clear your fenders.

all depends on his offset

I would run a 255/40/18 or a 265/40/18 providing you have the room

stock wrx/sti rims are around a +42 or +45… something like that already. a +35 is going to be a TIGHT fit to say the least. i had to roll fenders on my sti for a 225/40/18 on a set of 18x8 +38’s so like i said, there will be shoehorning involved.

35 mm is about 1.4 inches.

8.5 / 2 = 4.25 -1.4 = 2.85

Take a wheel off, measure 3" from your hub, then go up at a 90* angle and see where it lands.

If it does fit, I’ll do the math on the tires for you.

good info right here. + rep

I can make it easier (so you don’t have to take the wheel offand rest it on a jackstand) if you give me the dimensions and offset of the wheels on the car right now.

Is the issue clearing a strut or just widening the stance? How much can you roll the fenders and does your clearance decrease under suspension compression?

From what I have seen/heard about subaru’s, with an 8.5" +35 wheel, the problem will be on the outside. I could be wrong though. I have no hands on experience with those cars.

2005 WRX (5x100)

Stock specs : 16" x 6.5" (+55mm according to Goldstein)

I can make it easier (so you don’t have to take the wheel offand rest it on a jackstand) if you give me the dimensions and offset of the wheels on the car right now.

^^ thanks for the help Jim +1

Is the issue clearing a strut or just widening the stance? How much can you roll the fenders and does your clearance decrease under suspension compression?

Mainly to widen the stance… Im going to be rolling the fenders and I know I can go 9.5 wide. If I throw on the Brembos, then I will need 3" spacers and molded flares ;-).

You can see that with that additional 3" width-wise and 2" overall diameter we will be pretty [flush]>> (overall goal summarization)

Ill be looking for a recommendation from someone here on where I should go for an alignment. Hopefully they can also lower to car to where its proper and if able to ‘dial in’ the suspension, that would be cool.

Suspension >> Tein 14-way adjust. Superstreet dampers <3

Not really too organized yet…keep the helpful comments coming

Here’s what you’re looking at right now:

Your stock wheel protrudes about 1" off the mounting surface of your hub.
The new wheel protrudes 2.85 inches.

Add. 1.85 inches to the outside of the wheel thats on the car now and you’ll get an idea of how much further it’ll stick out.

Your stock wheel goes back twords the strut on your car 5.5" from the mounting surface on the hub.
The new wheel goes back 5.65 inches.

You should be fine on the inside, but I would check anyway.

Thanks, yea I checked it all out ‘roughly’ from what I could without putting the car in the air.

What tire size should I be looking at? Ill consult the subaru forums as well and look at some pics and setups… just thought id ask

What size is on the car now?

The wheels will be out past the fenders.
You will need negative camber to make them sit “flush” with the fender.
You will need coilovers or your tire and wheel will rub against the shock real bad.
You will need to roll your fenders.

Please don’t get Rota’s.

+1
This is why I have RPF1’s

I used to be able to afford baller wheels (Sprint Hart CPR’s, RO_JA Form.7’s) , but I dont have the money to get Work/Volks…I have coilovers and other suspension work, and Im gonna do it right.

As soon as I find out what tires will be good…prob. just go with whatever Jim says haha.

Look though the NASIOC classifieds. I know you don’t want 17’s but there were some dope ass Work Emotions CR Kai’s 17x9 with tires for $1200 on there that I almost bought. :excited
If I didn’t already have tires for my new wheels I would have snatched them up. :frowning:

Those were my wheels of choice…don’t have the bread and spring is coming so I need summer rollers so I can keep the snows on the stock rims.

Emotions or Meister SP2’s :thumbup… but I’m in college and live on my own haha so nothing crazy.