HKS Destroyed!! Shoot ME!!!!!!!

yeah as the title says… I’m totally humiliated, and i probably can’t describe how stupid i am how i did it…

I knew it was going to happen but ahhh well, live and learn… Anyways story time. If u haven’t caught on yet im talking about the HKS 6 speed Dog ring Tranny.

Well today coming home from school, i was pulling up my drive way, and the snow an rain washed large amounts of the dirt away sinking half of it enough that when i went over it my front end dug in enough to crack the fiberglass. So i figure i would leave the accord in the garage till i can repair it tmw. I had to go run back to hamilton to take care opf something so, the roads were good, and im getting pretty good at driving the things so im like why not.

It was about an hours worth drive that i had to do so, by the time i got to Hamilton i was feeling really confident. Down shifting perfectly the who works. i figured out every possible way to change gears as fast and smoothly as possible. I was f’n high, the engine was running great, i finally mastered the tranny, and the only thing left was to drive home and wait for the track days. The thing is so smooth, like its amazing, its as if ur just pushing the gear through air and it just stops in place.

Bamm reality hit and i probably did the dumbest thing in my life, next to making cars a hobby. I was down shifting when i was approaching a sharp corner out in the boonies and i can’t really recall wtf i was doing but i was roughly around 40km/h i believe and when i went to put it into second Bamm the shifter just bounced back violently (this point i shit my self) and i then braked to a complete stop. After some thinking of “oh shit, OH SHIT OH SHIT” i put it in first and tested my luck. Worked fine, then second, and then thrid, everything good but now i here a funny noise… SHIT!!! I stop put it in reverse and nothing happens. Great i must have been a complete tool and put it in reverse somehow!! Im not one to panic in situations or over anything period so i think, drive it back or tow?

“Fuck it, Blazing glory!!! If HKS tranny bits and pieces shoot out and slice me up then i died happy.”

Anyways i made it home no problem, gears were fine, but u can here shit flying around in side. Personally the amount of money lost if its completely written off won’t be that much cause the clutch is amazing and the price i paid for was great. Just i figured i would have blown it up by at least mid summer.

Condition of tranny: well reverse is completely gone, its not even there u can put it in but nothing is there. Other gears work fine but there is bits and pieces flying around inside it. So those can probably damage the rest of the tranny if it is not completely taken apart cleaned out, checked for gear damage. I could live without reverse on a track car but i figured it may be time to cut my loses.

That sucks HARD dude. Pull it apart and see what the damage is… Take lots of pictures ;)… It may be reparable for a reasonable price… Worth a look for a tranny like that man…

sorry to hear about your loss !

that can be fixed if its only the reverse gear…i would imagine that the guys who didnt bother taking it out knew that the tranny was on its way out so they just left it in there…get me the serial # from your tranny and i can find out what that reverse gear would cost , parts only off course.

good luck with the rebuild !

can you explain how you fucked up?

you shifted down into 2nd gear while turning and it fucked up the gears?

am i misreading something or its cause i don’t understand how these things work?

Damn dude… I really have nothing to say…

:fnf2:

Ok, so you granny shifted into 2nd and the tranny is toast?

I’m with duckJAI; wanna explain how you break up this kind of tranny by downshifting into 2nd?

second is right beside reverse, either i shifted into reverse from third, or i was even dumber and shifted from first to reverse, but i thought i would have noticed if i was in first really, im just not ruling it out cause the gearing, and the engine power are completely knew to me so its possible. Simply, I made a really stupid mistake

gears go R 2 4 6
________1 3 5

and the reason why it was blown to bits was probably because i wasn’t granny shifting, i put a really really good load on the gear when i shift and the shifting is done by releasing it from gear which can be done many ways, but i won’t get into details. and not by the clutch

So what exactly were you doing wrong? Are you even sure if it’s your fault, or if it was on it’s way out anyway?

Idunno, I’m thinking it would’ve been a fairly spectacular event if you’d shifted into reverse while moving forward… Candy cane… Not something you’d mistake for anything else really…

yeah i don’t know but the car didn’t jolt or anything… shifter just bounced as if missing a gear but violently. i still believe it was me because how else can reverse be gone. ahh well live and learn, just need to figure out what the enxt step is going to be… rebuild, sell. who knows, not enough info at this state and not enough money, tools and time to figure it out.

i didn’t realize it was a dogleg pattern (meaning 1st is where you would normally find 2nd and 2nd is where you would normally find 3rd)

the way you describe it makes sense…

sounds like you hit reverse instead of 2nd when you downshifted from 3 to 2

typically theres supposed to be a reverse lockout function to prevent this kind of thing… but being that it’s a race tranny maybe that function is removed?

hopefully the only thing that’s wrong is a shattered reverse gearset

also hopefully the reverse gearset is a standard nissan item that you can get from a dealer (or from Varun if it’s for an S15)

i hope it’s not a part unique to this tranny

I just can’t believe a built dogbox would have such a fragile gear, I could see it grinding, or not going into gear, but I can’t believe it’d shatter the gear. That does sound most likely what happened though, at least it seems to make the most sense… It just didn’t fully engage, so you didn’t get an awesome candy cane out of it…

I think that it was on it’s way out.

You should have towed it home, now all your gears are probably chipped and shit from reverse bits floating in the oil and meatgrinding inbetween the working gears. Shitty buzz man, hopefully its not the end.

hey steve

glad to hear 1-6 are still going good, but im with vlad, i would have towed her home

thats crazy, and im in shock, i always wondered what would happen if someone put it into reverse gear while going forward because i alomst did this the other day in my truck (came very close)

ouch man, I hope that it is alright

I think this Tranny was bought from Mattys S15 clip, and if not I never thought 2 of these trannys would be in Ontario. So to whoever said whoever sold it to you probably knew it was on its way out, I can pretty much guarantee you thats not the case. Buying a used Tranny is sketchy, but when its an HKS s20 tranny, you bought a piece of SON history in my opinion. Sucks you blew it, and you did blow it, but I’d price out the cost of repair. With this tranny you have a lot of bragging rights on this forum, and at meets. So I say do what you can !

Sorry just re read solarians post and ya. Ignore the first part of my last post.

that is really unpleasant to hear thats for sure. i hope you didnt further mess it up by driving it home, also you cant just let it go…you need to at least rebuild it. and i didnt realise the shift pattern either till you amde a diagram.
rebuild, and let the story continue :slight_smile:

dont these hks trannys have to be re built every season?