need some college advice

ok, so my first year in college didnt go so well. my final GPA as of the end of may was a 1.98. i was put on accademic probation because i had less than a 2.0. i took 2 classes over the summer, and got an A- in the first one. the second one is where im having a problem. the teacher is from japan (JDM YO!!!) and speaks very very little english. she puts all of her notes online as powerpoint presentations, but they are in very broken english. the book required for the course is totally irrelevant to what she is teaching :bloated: . the course is supposed to be about physical geography, which is what the book is about. she is teaching us earth science. so the best i am doing right now, is trying to decifer (sp?) what her notes actually read and try and remember as much as i can from earth science in high school as well as doing a little research of my own. i’ve been pretty sucessfull so far in doing that and understanding all of the materail. but when it comes time for the tests, they are impossible to take. like i said, she can hardly speak english at all and cant write it either, so it takes a while to figure out what one question says, and then out of 4 answers, there are more than one that could be the correct answer. we have 3 tests: the first one i failed (however the class average was a D- and there are 40 people in the class) and test 2 was tonight and i dont think i did so well on that either.

so here is my next problem. i was informed today that because my GPA is below a 2.0 as of 7/28, i have been cut off from all of my financial aid for the fall semester. apparently, UB hasnt factored in the A- i got in my first summer class yet, which would easily raise my GPA above a 2.0 and i wouldnt have this problem. i (or my parents) also do not have $1500 laying around to be able to say ‘o well, mayb i’ll get financial aid back next semester!’

so, i have no financial aid, UB is not crediting me for a class i took to prevent this from happening, and it looks like im going to fail this other class, which will put me right back where i started. when i went to my academic advisor, she bsaically told me tough shit, maybe you should look into other schools.

any1 have any suggestions at all?

i hate to say it man, but i went to Trocare here in S.Buffalo and the same thing happened to me, it was either pay outa pocket or get a personal loan from a bank :frowning: i paid outa pocket, 3 payments of $655. at least that way they give u a payment plan. its not like u have to fork it all over at once

Go to a school where everyone speaks english :gotme: private FTW

the over all GPA shouldn’t matter… its if they feel you are improving academically. . with the amount of semesters you have…

let me see if there is a chart on UB’s site

found it at the bottom look at the chart

your advisor needs help. talk to one of the deans asap.

since canisius is inexpensive

ahahahahahahahaha

It’s costing me $62 for 18 credits this semester :stuck_out_tongue:

ahahahahahahahaha

I really loved NCCC. And now it has new window trim. New GREEN window trim. How festive.

best college advice evar, avoid buff state.

Best thing to do is talk to an advisor.
Find out why your grade from the summer course isn’t reflected yet.
You might have to suck it up and take a student loan out for this semester until you get your GPA up and your financial aid out of hock.
Let them know about the professor too. Thats bullshit. I had a class with a Chinese dude I couldn’t understand at all. I never showed up and barely scored average on my tests and somehow came away with an A-.

your gonna pay the money back either way, even if you have to get a credit card to pay the 1,500 bucks do it, its your life, what else are you gonna do. Its some incentive to hit the books a little harder to get that gpa well above 2.0

stay in school, find a way to pay for it

well im gonna stay in school. no questions asked there.

mind if i ask what your major is that its giving you troubles?

well, legan studies is my major, but those are the classes im doing good in. it was those fucking gen-ed courses that have a million people them taught by TAs where i fucked up

yea I’ve found asking friends that have taken the class before… is a really big deal… getting a teach handing out A’s left and right, as oppose to a teach that fucks people over… This is especially important at UB cause the profs policies are all over the spectrum… and the TA’s they are just hit or miss

“A student - either full-time or part-time - who fails to achieve the minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all courses is placed on academic probation after the second semester of study and is expected to raise his/her GPA to a minimum of 2.0 within a reasonable amount of time. If that is not achieved, the student will be dismissed. If a student is dismissed, the student is ineligible for federal financial aid.”

So have you been on probation since the first semester? If so you should have gotten a letter in the mail, after first semester, stating you were on probation and you better get your grades up or you will lose financial aid. Also, one class is unlikely to boost your cumulative GPA very much.

goto ECC and get all ur core bullshit classes out of the way…then transfer back…I should have done that but i was stupid…i have like a 1.9 GPA my first year at UB…didnt make the transistion fron HS to College…i did nothign in HS and had 96 average…but then i wnt to ITT and it kinda sucked…to expensive…so ECC for Core classes then tranfer for the rest

you cant resign the course you’re going to fail?..thats what i plan on doing lol