Financial Aid / College

I tried to search but it didnt work. I’ve been thinking about this for awhile now, and im not getting any younger. I feel stuck living with a decent job but living pay check to pay check. Deffinitly not where i want to be, I have bills and i want to go to college but without working full time i wouldnt be able to afford to pay my bills. I dont know that much about financial aid i’ve been graduated from high school for 4 years and dont remember everything about financial aid. I dont even know what i want to go to college for.

How will financial aid help me go to college and afford to pay my bills?

Thanks

Well since you are probably claiming yourself as an independent (well I’d hope so at this point) you should be able to get a fair amount of financial aid. The past couple years for me (since my parents stopped claiming me as a dependent) I’ve been getting school paid for completely by grants.

Go to www.fafsa.com and apply for aid. Make sure you also apply for the TAP program at the end for NYState. They give good grants as well.

Most the information you will need is going to be in that site. But you need to know where you’ll be attending, and have been accepted.

EDIT - I should point out that I go to UB where tuition is like $3000 a semester. And that I still pay my own rent and such.

Thanks, ill probly go to ECC, which is better then nothing.

UB is only 3K a semester??? holy hell… I wish… the program I’m starting next fall at UB (missed the application deadline and have some things in a deal I made at work to finish) is $10K/semester… RIT (where I went for undergrad) was like 8K or 9K. I thought UB was closer to that; wowza.

I have to look into it alot more.

I just checked and it looks like things have gone up. But I know I paid 2800 a semester for tuition, plus fees. It’s still not THAT expensive, though. Seems like schools across the country have hiked their tuition rates up. wtf.

I went to the University of Hawaii almost 3 years ago and it was 6900/semester. Now it’s ~9500.

I dont even know what i want to do, i feel now that im a little older and hopefully more mature I can consentrate more on school now.

You can still apply for FAFSA. But you have to go to www.fafsa.gov for the actual application. I just did it on Sunday. There is so much more to it than just that though. You need high school transcripts, shot records, take a placement test. Depending on which campus you might need an out of county certificate so you don’t have to pay double tuition. Go to www.ecc.edu and there’s all of the info on there.

Is there a certain time or day i can go to ECC and talk to someone about all this?

Don’t forget to apply for Tap too. You might be able to get some extra money. I got a few hundred dollars in undergrad from them and nothing in grad school.

http://www.hesc.com/content.nsf/SFC/3/Apply_for_TAP_Now

Apply for fafsa first though.

just call the admissions office where you want to go or just go there. They are only open till 3:30 though. Good luck getting all of this done in the next 2 weeks. You’ll have to haul ass to get it all done. Open registrations last day is the 27th and the money is due that day too

Some people will disagree with me here but do not go to school unless its for a degree that will get you a paying job. I am so sick of seeing friends and family rack up debt in school just to work crap jobs an be unemployed.

Another thing, it is completely possible to work full time and go to school full time simultaneously. A few people I know as well as myself do it. Just don’t expect much free time.

Yeah, i dont really know what i want to do, but I dont want to waste my time with a degree that wont really yeild a very good career.

Dunno how old u are, bit I’m 26 and decided to go back last year so…do it up.

fuck the grind

Meh.