Probation -_-

Academic that is! :spank:

Situation: i took ONE engineering class semester and fucked the final and got a c- or 1.67, my overall for the semester was 3.1, and my cumulative for 3 years is 3.05, but since my ONE engineering class was less than 2.0, ive been placed on academic probation,

so what does this mean for me? all the letter says is that most people who are on it for 3 semesters in a row dont graduate, i dont have any scholarships so nothing to take away, what now?

Probabation means nothing. You have to really fuck up to be dismissed

Can’t believe they would put you on probation just for one class. My friend failed statics last fall but he was never put on probation.:gotme:

i never got a probation letter and i’ve had c’s before. didn’t know it was a big deal

o well lol as long as im not dismissed i dont really care

Which course?

You have to maintain a 2.0 in your engineering courses I believe.

yeah probation isn’t bad, its just giving u a warning basically.

dont worry man, i had like 4 consecutive sub 2.0 semesters @ UB and never got dismissed.

Then again I wasn’t in the engineering prog, just taking random classes haha

Looked around and found this. You should be fine as long as you don’t do it again

A student who already is on SEAS academic probation will be dismissed from SEAS if he/she has an Eng. or Tech. GPA < 2.0 for the most recent semester, AND a Technical quality point deficit > 25 or an Engineering quality point deficit > 20.

http://undergrad-catalog.buffalo.edu/policies/grading/academicreview.shtml

ITs all right here.

are you sure it wasn’t a warning?

Don’t worry about it. I got that one semester for the same reason, doing bad in a single engineering course. I talked to adviser about it, and she said it means nothing. You REALLY have to fuck up for them to drop you from the engineering school.

nah def probation, my eng avg is 2.95 overal is 3.05, but last semester i only took one eng class, which i got a c minus in =(

Yeah that doesn’t add up. You don’t get academic probation for failing a class. Ask me how I know. :nerd:

No, but if you have under a 2 in all your combined engineering classes from a single semester (he’s saying he only had one this semester), they send you a warning thing which is what he got. It’s not really a big deal to receive a warning according to my adviser.

I got 3 2.0’s (or less) in a row at RIT. Dean’s list the last two quarters when I realized I should care about GPA. The first part really hosed my overall GPA and believe me, you don’t want that when you roll into interviews. Makes getting a job a lot tougher, just don’t do it again and you should be fine.

depends on the engineering program you are in. I honestly wouldn’t worry about it

the biggest problem is engineering might have some kind of deal with 2 semesters under 2.0 GPA for eng classes might get you dismissed from the program. Then that throws a stick in your spokes.

But everything can be appealed at UB. So If he does have another sem under a 2.0 he can appeal it, as it sounds his Engineering GPA is well above a 2.0 so there shouldn’t be a problem for him at all.

Its basically a warning to say. HEY SOMETHING IS GOING ON GET YOUR ACT IN GEAR. This is one of the 95 they will send you before getting axed lol

GPA really doesn’t matter… Job experience (IE internship will help you more than anything)

2.0 + internship in field > 3.5 no experience

lol I know ALL about academic probation. I was on it for like 3 semesters at least. I was pretty convinced I was gonna get kicked out of UB.

needless to say, you’ll be fine. You can always re-take the class if you’re worried about it killing your GPA. I wouldn’t worry though. I graduated with a 2.6(first 2 years killed me) and I am doing just fine.

well i spoke to one of the advisors, he said it wasnt a big deal, just try and do better next time =p

Not in all cases. I got stellar recommendations from each place I co-op’d but had my resume thrown in the trash because my final GPA was less than a 3.5. I was told this by more than one place I contacted.

Snuck in the door at the two places I’ve worked (Delphi, then GM) because of immediate needs. They did not have time to check GPA before the positions needed to be filled. I was told later I wouldn’t have been hired because of my GPA at both.