New Z06 Vette to be called the ZR1

Here is a older article (before the ZR1 was declared the official name). But Bob Lutz mentions about the challenges of engineering the vette to perform at a higher level. Really shows the effort they are putting forth with this.

http://www.caranddriver.com/dailyautoinsider/12814/2009-corvette-blue-devil-confirmed-and-in-final-tuning-phase.html

But the Blue Devil is still on track, despite a gestation period that Lutz described as challenging while acknowledging, for the first time, the car’s existence. “It’s a very difficult vehicle development. This thing has so much power that we have to explore a dynamic envelope that we’ve never explored before. We want the vehicle to be safe and we want it to be predictable, even at speeds that no mortal is ever going to attain in the United States. That’s our obligation. We’re really into a speed and power realm that General Motors has never been in before. We’re way up there with Porsche Carrera GTs and Ferraris.”

with that said, bring on the Gen V Direct Injection motors!

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=921314#post921314

I was impressed when the C5 Z06 came out. I nearly fell out of my chair when the C6 Z06 was debuted. A car that traps 120+ stock and comes with a full factory warranty for it’s cost is truly awesome. And here we have one that should trap damn near 130 with a full factory warranty…Mother of God!

I also don’t mean to solely dwell on the ZR-1’s power output but hearing the Corvette moniker, you seem to take the rest of the car for granted. It has never been at the back of the pack when it came to footwork.

IMHO people that care about the trap-speed of a 'vette are missing the point. I want the ZR1 to stomp the true “super cars” of our day around the 'ring. Its just not going to do that w/ C6Z brakes, EMT tires, and no aero help.

-TJ

Perhaps you missed my 2nd paragraph. :slight_smile:

I’m not aware of exactly what tires come equipped on a C6Z but it would be nice if it came with Toyo RA1s or something with similar grip. Also, why are you unsatisfied with the C6Z brakes? Are carbon-carbon brakes not good enough for you? They seem to work well in F1. I think your observation of sub-par braking for the C6Z can be attributed to the tires. I am a firm believer of the fact that when it comes to track times, tires have a greater effect than anything else.

Also, maybe you meant to say that people who ONLY care about the trap speed of a 'vette are missing the point. :slight_smile: There are some of us who know there is more to life than trap speeds. And I firmly believe that car manufacturers should post their Nurburgring lap times in addition to 0-60, 1/4, and braking stats…

The Porsche 996 turbo can return to the start/finish in about ~7:40 after going for a scenic drive. :wink: I believe the new 500hp Skyline R35 GTR can do it a few seconds quicker. Any data on how long a scenic drive for a C6Z lasts?

But basically, I believe the brakes are fine, and the tires are not. Aero is good and too much is never enough, especially if you can change wing angles during straights :wink:

this vette has anothe 150 hp to push past any aero problems it will have on the 'ring. the ring is big but who tops out at that tracK? i dont think any supercars hit top speed on that track. besides, you need downforce to stick highspeeds in those turns, dips and rises.

i have heard now that the new Zr1 will not have EMT’s and have decent michelins like other supercars. also the brakes are ceramic of some sort, so hopefully a step above C6Z06 brakes.

I think it will do fine on the track, but again, how comfortable will it be on the road during basic driving? I feel this vette will lack in that department but then again its a purpose built race car for a budget price. If you want handling and ride, get a porsche/ferrari/lambo

does the same driver do all the cars ??

how is this even considered equal with any car.
just like the 1/4 mile testing every damn person gets a different time

true, not the same driver usually for all the cars.

You managed to contradict yourself in one paragraph. Congrats!

This is true when comparing average drivers. However, when the skill of the drivers goes up to world class standards, it doesn’t much matter who drives the car. They will extract everything out of the car.

i did not contradict myself… i’m sayin with the extra power it will push past any aero problems that it may see at that track, not necessarily for top speed 200+mph runs. I dont think the vette will have enough time on the ring straights to see anywhere near 200mph where AERO makes a difference.

I jsut making the point that you shouldnt be concerned with aerodynamics on tracks as your not goin for topspeed, but trying to keep speed thru corners on the track…which aerodynamics for downforce does help at speed

So basically to sum everything you said up…

It’s All About MPH!!!

basically

say what?

Ok, you seem to think that aero = drag. However, aero = drag + vertical force(down and lift). F1 cars have WAY more drag than any modern day sports cars. Almost 4 times as much. However, they also produce enough downforce to drive upside down on a ceiling at 100mph. This crazy downforce helps them go around a corner much faster because the normal force acting on the tires is greater b/c the ground pushes up on the tires just as hard as the tires push down on the ground. This gives the car more lateral friction (traction). Force of friction = mu * the normal force. mu = coefficient of friction (there is statc and kinetic).

What we are saying is that the Corvette needs more downforce built into it from the factory. This will inherently increase drag however. Simply redesigning the front and rear bumpers to have integrated canards will improve downforce, reduce lift, increase drag, and lower lap times without the addition of a wing that many consider an eye-sore. Adding a lower front spoiler on the underside of the bumper will also reduce lift by reducing airflow under the car. This modification is ‘free’ because it won’t necessarily increase drag anymore.

yes that is what i mean. the vette needs more downforce and not necessarily less drag which is what i was refering to when we said aerodynamics.