New Z06 Vette to be called the ZR1

looks like there wont be a SS vette and i’m glad. SS dont belong to a vette. The blue devil supercharged vette will get the ZR1 badge.

Thank god…

:stupid:

king of the hill is back

SICK! someone with some brains musta spoke up at GM finally. they’ve screwed up some many good ideas (ie; the GTO design)

awesome

New ZR1> anything ever made!!!

i cant wait to see what all they changed on it. i hope its a good deal different than the basic Z06. i hope it rides better on the street, more smooth but yet handles as well or better. this car will kick ass and probly match the Carerra GT around the Ring

:cool:

hmm

Why would they soften up the ZR1!?! It’s going to be the top, top dog for GM. I hope they take a few lbs out of it (not for acceleration’s sake, obviously it’s going to do just fine there, more for handling… particularly transitions) and stiffen up at least the front spring considerably. A C6 Z06 rides damn nice, anybody that bitches it’s too stiff/harsh needs to buy a Cady.

-TJ

seeing that the z06 wasn’t more than a few seconds around the carerra gt i think that the zr1 might just hurt the GT i mean an added 145 horses is a lot

The ring has a lot of different sections, and there is a lot more to good times than just HP. There are some significant HP sections though, so IF Chevy puts some real brakes on it the HP should make a big difference, yes. But it also needs to be lighter and stiffer, and maybe have some aero downforce. An actual performance alignment would help a ton too.

Hell, if they just sent C6Z06’s out of the factory with a good alignment and Pilot Sport Cup tires (ala GT3) they’d be several seconds faster around the ring with no other changes (IF the brakes could keep up with the tires).

-TJ

GM really needs to start playing the tire game like everyone else. Never trust a magazine test on the Corvette if its still on stock tires. GM wants the ring record badly and I really hope they get it. If they do catch the GT it will give tons of credit to the Vette’s & GM’s name worldwide. I just wonder what they have been doing to up the handling on the car. Did it get any aero upgrades of things of that nature. If the weight is below 3000lbs they will have their work cut out for them.

well it looks like their using the ls3 6.2 supercharged motor. i think that they should still use the ls7 and supercharge that. holy hell, that would be fucking awesome. why piss around with the ls3 in the top off the line vette. is any car gonna have an ls7 in it? time to call gm to see if they have any spares laying around.

The rumors keep going back and forth on the car, so who knows what will happen. Back in the day when the Fixed Roof Coupe C5 came out they were supposed to be ub3r light strippers, that never came to fruition. So I hope the sub 3k lbs rumors hold true for the ZR1 (Blue Devil/SS) but I guess I have my doubts.

You’re 100% right about the tire game. Not only does GM not put above-average tires on the C6Z… they put HORRIBLE tires on them. Honestly, the EMTs on C6Z06s are so bad I’m surprised the lawyers let it roll out like that. The car is just way too much for those shit tires. Like I’ve mentioned before the stock alignment really holds the car back as well.

And why the hell did GM have to try to do its own big brake setup? They should have done like everybody else does (AMG, Porsche, Ferrari etc) and gone to Brembo.

So in short the ZR1 had damn well better:- Come in < 3,000 LBS- Have REAL Big Brakes (ie Brembo)- Have an aggresive alignment- Come on REAL tires (ie Pilot Cup Sport)

Honestly, I don’t see the LS7 as that great of a motor. The LS3/L92 etc. all have “LS7 style” heads that flow like crazy. But they don’t have stupid expensive internals. The LS7 has had more reliablity issues than any previous Gen III/IV motor also. I do like the idea of being dry-sump for a track car (I hate all my PCV issues) but the LS7’s setup is pretty half-assed. I’m sure GM is going towards the 6.2L motor rather than 7.0L for thicker cylinder liners and better reliablity under boost. Look at the power ppl are making with a Ford 5.4L built for boost (Google Joe GTTT) think about what is going to happen with a Gen IV 6.2L built for boost once it gets out to the aftermarket.

-TJ

I agree and disagree with you.

I’m putting down plenty of power with my Ls7 and have yet to have any reliability issues.

Now thats not to say the 6.2 is not a good motor.

I didn’t say that every LS7 has issues. I have a LOT of buddies w/ them from stock to pretty wild. Only one I can think of had issues in stock form, and even modded only a couple. I just said they are less reliable than other Gen III/IV motors. Less reliable than super duper reliable is still pretty good. :wink:

-TJ