No volume with new TW HD/DVR box?

just got TW hooked up today, got the explorer 8000hd/dvr box which homosexually only has an dvi out as its highest HD form

so the installer hooks it up with component cables, picture looks like shit, so i go right to walmart and snag up an dvi/hdmi cable for better resolution…hook it up, picture looks a bajillion times better but…no sound :wtf:

tried plugging it into all 3 hdmi inputs on my tv, nothing, hd-dvd still works on all 3 hdmi inputs

so its either a shitty receiver or a shitty cable…right? i searched through every menu item, no way to change audio out on the box, so im kinda stuck…and waiting for “comtec” to call me back with their expert opinion

any ideas?

Dish Network?

Sorry, I’m under contract to get a Time Warner dig in every opportunity I get.

Hit the settings button twice, it should get you into the alternate settings menu. Then look for anything about audio.

Directv or Dish Network > TW

lol at comtec’s expert opinion.

gl

your TV has 3 DVI’s and no HDMI? weaksauce

wait

DVI > HDMI?

no… HDMI> when the cable isnt bad or the cable company is giving out shit boxes

umm ok, DVI does not transmit audio like HDMI. So you need to hook back up the red and white audio cables you removed when you unplugged your component cables. Also you may need to go into the audio setting of your HD box if the previous fix did not work. Hit settings twice scrol down til you see Audio and select Dobly Digital. If that doesnt work go to Audio:Voulme Control and select Fixed

hdmi = dvi in terms of quality. It’s the same signal. That’s why you can buy an HDMI to DVI cable. HDMI’s advantage is it can carry audio while DVI is just video.

DVI was the short lived input just before HDMI.

EDIT: Just read the post above mine and didn’t really think about the fact that your audio might be because of the DVI cable. I was assuming you had some sort of audio cable going to a receiver.

im confused ur hooking up hdmi from the reciever to the TV which is DVI?

Also I think the guy got his cables wrong. The 8000HD DVR only has DVI out, so he is most likely going from DVI-HDMI on his TV. What he needs to do is get his ass to the cable store and get an 8300HD DVR, it has twice the storage capacity of the 8000 as well as HDMI output.

sorry, mixed up the two…the receiver box has a dvi output and my tv has 3 hdmi inputs

yeah i was going to say, u cant get audio using DVI, just HDMI. hook up the good ol red and white, but it wont be digital and the sound is pretty crappy compared to digital.

i vaguely remember hearing the installer talk poorly of the 8300, saying it had longer loading times and they had a lot of problems with them recently…

thats fucking gay…time to go swap it for the upgraded model at TW…

the red and white cables are basic, but they will get you by.

yeah u cant get DD, DTS or any of the nice digital sound with the RCA connections

fuck this, get me TW on the phone, i want this other box that has hdmi -> hdmi connections

audio still isnt working with just the audio plugged in, only works when i plug in everything with component cables…and that just looks horrid

any truth to what the installer told me? about how i can just go to the local TW center and swap out for the newer box?

:TW:

this thread made me LOL