Official 08-09 Penguins Thread

from the little i’ve read so far, i like it.
he wears an A for the ducks, spends time on their first line, and he has a ring…i think he’ll be a good addition. the OHL kid is just a bonus.

as smokeyburnouts said, he is not a fighter. i’m not a huge whitney fan, but if shero traded him for a fighter… he’d be retarded.

OH, I wasn’t saying that he SHOULD be a fighter. Just based on the highlights that I see, it’s just a bunch of videos of him getting beat up. I think it will be a good trade, Whitney was not that good and he was way overpaid. Now we just need to get rid of Satan.

i think whitney is that good, but maybe just not as valuable to us as he would be to other teams. we have 3 other guys that can do what he does, which makes him expendable. i honestly just thought whitneyr , either alone or in a package, would be the guy to draw our ‘big name’ winger we keep hearin of. but what we did get in return for him was needed, so i guess thats kinda good.

so next up staal and a wb/s kid for st. louis??? anyone else thinks its coming??

I don’t see any other reason why we would throw $4 million at a 3rd line center whom we make the excuse of “He’s still young” when he slacks. If he is still growing, then why give him a big boy contract? Speculation? Or trade bait?

As far as the trade goes, I think it will be nice to get a fresh winger in here, but Kunitz’s price is just a bit lower than Whitney. Hopefully he has chemistry with our Centers, but I think we could’ve gotten better scoring power for the money. The prospect will be nice if he pans out, but that is such an iffy chance of that happening.

It’s a shame to see Whitney go, especially with morons like burnyd who was probably first in line for the ballride when Whitney put up 60 pts 2 years ago and now he wants to run him out of town. Whitney is a great player and once he gets back to full strength I think he will continue to be an awesome Defenseman. I wish him the best of luck.

im in the middle of the road on that. i think it should happen (IMO) and i think its a real possibility (not singling out trading for only Marty, but a big name, top line winger in general). it makes sense for it to happen. at the same time tho, if it does happen, think of how different we look from the off-season up until that point. losing hossa, malone etc all the guy from last year, then our couple signings, and then to go and fire the coach and trade away 2 of our young core guys. thats huge and thats a major shake-up.

in reality, if we dont do a deal for a big name winger, then if we make the playoffs, i dont think we’d be a contender. if we do the deal, then all of a sudden i think we have potential to be a big-time player in the east. i know thats a bold statement in regards to the trading of 1 guy, but that 1 guy makes a huge difference and we all know it. having a Kunitz-Sid-(insert name of top winger) line makes a Pistol Pete-Geno-Fedotenko (or Satan) that much harder to defend against. most teams right now only have to worry about sid on the top line and then can focus on our 2nd line because they are more dangerous. by adding a Stlouis (and now Kunitz), other teams are facing a much more dangerous top 6 and i honestly think that would give this team a whole new personality because itd be tough for another team to have enough depth to shut down two lines like that…just like last year.

-sorry that was long-

I hope this happens to Alex O on March 8th…this is the type of guy we were missing all year round…no hesitation

[ame=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1c0WUGBCFc”]YouTube - Ruutu vs Kunitz Mar 16, 2007[/ame]

Here is another example…I think I may end up liking this guy a lot.

[ame=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSUwxNRaC70”]YouTube - Ott vs Kunitz Feb 15, 2008[/ame]

I like the fact he sticks up for the stars on his team, and he played first line for the Ducks. Hopefully this will pan out and he can be a player we can stick in front of the net and clear some space. Also I like the fact he has couple yrs left on his contract and its not a just someone who comes here helps and then leaves…

that is exactly what we are missing, grit. Hopefully he takes on the role that Malone had.

And Kunitz gets his first goal as a Penguin after only 18:xx minutes on the team. Nice…

This guy I think is a good replacement for Malone… IF he keeps it up he will contribute a lot. as for fleury wtf… horrible goals and positioning… but bc he won ill bet hell start tomorrow…

I liked the way that Kunitz played last night. Overall it was a good game for everyone it seemed like. Staal stepped up and so did Satan for once in his life. I agree with nh4442 that Fleury didn’t look like he was all there. He put himself in a bad position a handful of times and got saved by blocks that were made by our defensive players. It would have been very possible for the hawks to have 2 or 3 more goals if it weren’t for the play of our defensive guys in front of the net.

Kunitz can hopefully keep playing like last night.

And I think it’s the first time in 3 years that Staal acted like he was playing hockey instead of just skating around. I still think Staal is horrible, but he did have a good game last night.

i hate the fact that on numerous plays that all five of our guys were bunched in front of the crease bc they dont trust fleury to make saves… if they did the wings would be on the walls covering the points and the center and D’s would be around the crease moving traffic…

Im happy Staal stepped up, i really hope we keep him, but the better he does the more his stock goes up to be traded… double edged sword

I really hope we do not keep him.

I hope he does well for the rest of the season and then they can trade him for someone that is talented. If they trade him now, they wouldn’t get anything.

fleury was sketchy at times, but if not for him in the 3rd, we wouldve lost that game, so ill refrain from talking too much shit on him. he’ll level out and be more consistent, i think, as this stretch goes on.

Kunitz was pretty awesome. def nice to see a player like that again.

Staal doesnt look to bad when they actually pair him with some half decent guys and give him some playing time.

Kunitz subway sandwich of the game FTL!!! Fedetenko was fucking wrecking ppl lol

Florida lost and with any luck the Isles will hold on to their 1 goal lead :smiley:

big game tonight, we win we are tied for 7th.

Staal had one good game out of 60, everyone gets lucky every now and then, it’s hardly because he is getting more playing time. He sucks, plain and simple.

such a hater. :slight_smile: