remapping stock computer

I’ve heard about remapping a cars stock computer because the factory restrict an engines output for fuel economy and stuff. I was wondering what kinda work would be involved in doing something like that, where I could get it done, and if it would hurt the car. I’de like to get a little more power but dont have the $$$ for an engine managment system from AEM or something like that and was wondering how effective something like this would be.

Thanks

What year & model car do u have?

2004 honda accord with the 3.0 V6

Without a tuning system, you are stuck. Otherwise there is little you can tune anyway with an entirely stock car. Adjuestable cam gears would give you something to tune, but without the tuning system there is nothing you can do.

by tuning system, you mean vehicle specific engine managment unit, or sumthing along those lines? If so, can you point me in the right direction?

would an apexi neo vtec controller system do kind of what I’m looking for. I’de rather piggyback into my factory comp. than totally overwrite it with something from AEM. Plus its about $3500 less.

Since your car is an 04, you’re almost certainly (I say almost because I didn’t verify it) running an OBD2b ECU. I’m not familiar with what your other tuning options are since this is a newer class of ECU, though someone out there has certainly tuned them.

The Neo lets you adjust fuel at 16 points (this is according to Apexi’s website, though I’ve seen retailer sites claiming 24 point adjustment), so it’s not the same as getting a “real” tune. Be aware that the Neo also does not work with i-VTEC. If you have an i-VTEC engine (I think that you do but you would want to verify that) the Neo functions only as a fuel controller. Possibly because of this, I have not seen a dealer with your Accord listed as an application, even though the Neo only has 1 part number and is technically a universal application.

You could also look at Greddy eManage, which functions as a piggyback as well but I think it offers only 5 fuel point adjustments. I don’t know whether it interfaces with i-VTEC.

I’ve personally never used either product and don’t know how well they would serve you. Good luck!

There is rarely free power with todays factory tunes. You are going to have to compromise with fuel economy and emissions. But I don’t think you can get much more power out of it if it’s completely stock maybe a few horses. If you do something to change the VE or run a different fuel then a tuning might be in order.

An Apexia fuel computer would let you adjust the sensors input to your ecu so you can lie to your ecu about how much air is going into the engine but if you do this more than like 5% it can really screw up your timing. the emanage will let you modify your timing as well. although im not to sure about these products for honda ecus.

People usually try not to replace any part of their factory FI system until they have to. If there MAF/MAP is still in range and the fuel injectors can still provide enough fuel @70 psi then most people won’t change anything.

I have no idea on what the best path to power is for your car but intake/exhaust work will get you a lot better results than tuning the stock engine.

Getting someone to tune your car is expensive. and tuning it your self is very time consuming because it’s a dangerous learning curve plus you will have to buy things like wide band O2 sensor, egt probes, data loggers, etc. very expensive.

My advice is to do bolt ons until your factory FI system can’t handle the fuel delivery safely and then go from there.

but back to your question I think a neo or an emange would be too coarse to do you any good if your engine is stock.

Ok, that sounds good. Thanks for all the input. I appreiciate it. My next question then would be putting putting my car on the bottle to get a little power on demand. I already have just about all the bolt on stuff you can get for an 04 accord with the J30A v6. I still want more power. Call me greedy, but I love that engine and am not in the market for a new car with more stock power. Does anyone know what all would need to be done to the internals of that engine to run say a 50-100 shot??

I don’t think you’d need to do anything internally. Ask Zex350Z, he doesn’t have Zex in his name because it’s sounds good.

I hate dry nos shots… so i’d always run a wet system. Use it with some type of timing computer (or if the kit comes with its own box) just keep spraying till it breaks :angel:

ok, dumb question. wet vs. dry. Whats really the diff. and which one is actually better?

Dry just adds nitrous, and in the case of the ZEX set-up, raises fuel pressure to your stock injectors to provide additional fuel for the nitrous.

Pro: generally cheaper/easier to install
Con: greater risk of running lean due to possible inconsistent distribution of nitrous among ports (i.e., all injectors may be adding equal amount of additional fuel but some of the port may be getting more nitrous, and thus need more fuel that others).

Wet set-up uses jets to spray both nitrous and additional fuel.

Pro: Generally safer to use over dry as nitour and fuel are sprayed at the same location and thus less chance of running lean on a particular cylinder.
Generally safer at higher power levels due to more even distribution.
Con: generally more expensive and slightly more time consuming to install

[QUOTE=Hycomp;685837][/QUOTE]

x2 I recommend a wet system and you really do want a timing computer. denser mixtures burn faster so you will want less spark lead.